SASS Wire Forum

Double arm transplant....

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50628032/ns/health-mens_health/

It was an exciting day for a 26-year-old veteran, the first soldier to survive after losing all four limbs in the Iraq War. On Tuesday, Brendan Marrocco wheeled himself into a packed news conference to show off his newly transplanted arms following his surgery last month at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Marrocco received his new arms in a 13-hour operation that involved 16 surgeons on December 18 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

"I hated not having arms," Marrocco said during the news conference. "I was all right with not having legs. Not having arms takes so much away from you. Even your personality. You talk with your hands. You do everything with your hands, basically. And when you don’t have that you’re kind of lost for a while."

Marrocco received his two new arms from a deceased donor, becoming one of only seven people in the United States who have undergone successful double-arm transplants.

“It's given me a lot of hope for the future. I feel like I’m getting a second chance to start over after I got hurt,” Marrocco said. “I’m excited for the future.”

===========================================================

Marrocco was in high spirits as he answered questions about how he’d be spending the rest of his life.

“I’ve got the job I always wanted, doing nothing,” he said with a smile. “I guess I’ll just be a drain on society.”

One hell of a fighter.

Archived