SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Wallyworld Federal Shotshells…

Dutch Wheeler

I find that the Wal-Mart Federal cheapo 100-Round Value Pack shotshells work fine for our beloved sport in my SxS. However, with the recent out-of-control buying hysteria going on, the supply of these shells has completely disappeared in my area. I have a stash that will last a few months yet of CAS, but looking down the road to Plan "B", I have started to save these hulls, with the intent to possibly reload, if supply does not return. I currently only load my metallic cartridges. I know that I am not going to save money reloading shotshells, I just don't want to run out, or be forced to pay $8.00+ for a box of shells.

I have read elsewhere that these hulls CAN be reloaded, just not as many times as you can the Winchesters or Remington's, which is acceptable. Does anyone reload these for CAS? What has been your experience? What is the correct wad to use with these hulls?

Your shared wisdom will be appreciated.

Dutch Wheeler

Been reloading those shells for years.

They reload just fine.

Look hard at MEC 600jr.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/

The wad you use depends on the shot weight. I load 1oz of reclaimed.

Look at 'Claybuster' wads.

LG

I read a federal document a few years back that said these could be reloaded using federal gold medal hull data.

Anyway, if you google "reloading federal top gun hulls", you will get lots of experiences and some loads

--Dawg

Although I preferr Remington STS the cheap Federal shells are what I usually use. I generally load 7/8 shot for SASS. I like the grey wads for smokelss and pink for black powder. Your mileage may very.

I reloaded a bunch of Federal, pink shotshells with BP to take to Comin@Cha (for style points). Reloading data (including wads) is available on powder distributors websites. The steel bases stuck in my SxS and the crimped ends had buldges. I recommend tossing the spent, Federal hull and buying some Remington STS hulls. They are still available on firearms auction sites.

Can still buy the cheapy Federal 1 or 1&1/8 oz. #8 at the Fins, Feather, and Fur Outfitters in Ohio for $51.99 for a case of 10 boxes.

most federal shell have bigger volume inside so a longer wad is needed, about 1/8" longer or so. They load fine. If there is still xtra room for a crimp just place a wad on the top of the shot, I make them out of foam food trays cutting squares about 9/16" square. One or 2 will fill the space. GN

Been reloading those shells for years.

They reload just fine.

Look hard at MEC 600jr.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/

The wad you use depends on the shot weight. I load 1oz of reclaimed.

Look at 'Claybuster' wads.

LG

Lumpy, how many reloads do you typically get out of the cheapo Federals before you chuck 'em in the trash?

I value everyone's input. Thank you!

Dutch Wheeler

Archived