SASS Wire Forum

My Dream Last Night

Colt Faro, SASS #54579

Every now and then I am blessed with a dream that I can remember very vividly. One of the ones that you just would like it to keep going.

Anyway I wrote it down this morning. I haven't posted much on the wire lately but this is good stuff so I thought I would share a bit. I posted it on the Outlaw Gang Facebook page and everyone seemed to like it. I'm not the greatest writer but here goes.....

My Dream

I had the best dream last night.... I was in a very small rundown town and found an old hardware store that had been closed for many years. I looked inside the dust covered window and it was like looking back into the past. It was in disarray but there was still merchandise on some of the shelves. Heck, even the big brass cash register was still there. The drawer was open and it looked as if it hadn't been touched in many years. There was a keg of nails spilled on the floor and a rusty spot from water dripping on them from a slow roof leak. You could tell nobody had been in there in a long time. I was mesmerized by this place. I had to see more! The front door was padlocked. I walked around back and found a back door. I grabbed the knob and turned it finding it was locked too. Exasperated I leaned against the door to think what I should do next. As I leaned on the door I fell right in to the old store!!! Surprised and slightly injured I stood up and my heart raced. Should I keep going in I thought to myself? I couldn't help it I had to because I was so intrigued. I walked around finding dusty treasure on some of the old shelves a hammer an old saw, some old light bulbs etc. Then I walked to the far corner and up on the top shelf I saw an old case. I reached up and grabbed it from the shelf. It was a little heavy but not bad. I had to see what was inside. I popped the latches and opened it up. I couldn't believe what was before me!!! It was a full auto Colt Tommy Gun with all the accessories new in the box.

I closed the case with the gun it and walked around the place a little longer unable to let go of this prize. Finally my conscience and reason took over. I placed the gun back on the top shelf where it came from and reluctantly walked out of the building. As I was walking back to my truck I saw an old man sitting on the porch of his house. He hollered out to me, "Did you get a good look". Not really knowing what to say, I said yes there's lots of junk in there. He smiled and said; yep that building has been in my family for many years. I told him that I love old buildings like that because they just reek of history. About that time he got up from his chair and came towards me. He asked me to follow him back to the store because he wanted to tell me all about the building. As we walked he talked and I was engulfed as this old gentlemen poured out his memories to me. We walked around inside and he told me stories of how everyone used to gather here. This was the place they all would hang out and tell lies. "The first liar never stands a chance" he said joking. He told about how when he was very young he played games inside the store with his brother. He told me about how when he was older he worked at the store and met his wife that was now dead there. As the stories one by one came from this man’s deepest memories I listened and hung on every word. I thought about the wisdom of this older generation and then was overtaken with sadness that the same innocents don’t exist today. It brought tears to my eyes as I pondered these realities. I was brought back to a day and time when a man’s word was his bond and doors didn't always have to be locked. It made me thankful I put the gun back on the shelf. The old man paused for a minute and noticed that my eyes were welled up. He chuckled and said, pull yourself together son. His words were soothing and made me laugh. Then he said, "Yeah it was much simpler then." I told him that I had something to show him. He followed me to the shelf and I reached up and pulled the case down that contained the gun. Feeling a bit ashamed, I said I found this while I was snooping around. He said, ah yes I remember these; we had a hard time selling them nobody in these parts had much use for them. He asked if I liked the old Tommy. I said, like it? I love it! He said, son I can tell you like it and I can also tell you share some of same values as we did long ago. I can see the honesty in your eyes even in the face of temptation. I want you to have this gun and I want you to remember me, remember my stories and remember to be always as honest as you were today. I couldn't help myself I grabbed the old man and gave him a big hug. Heck there are just some situations when a handshake just won't do. I thanked him for the gun. I thanked him for the compliments and most of all I thanked him for his memories and the one he left me with that I will never forget.

There's more than one way to be an Outlaw and in these days and times having true values and kindness are as rare as this old gun. Being an Outlaw to me is not being bad it's being good and standing up for my beliefs when there is so much bad and dishonesty in the world. A true Outlaw is one who dares to go against the status quo and what is accepted today by many, as being the way it should be.

Thank you for reading about my dream and about my thoughts.

Colt Faro

Great dream Colt,and a greater story.

For work I go in old buildings and been in areas that no one has been since the building was built. I haven't been in one for awhile thanks for reminding me how exciting it can be. Never did find any guns :(

Good Story Colt.

I also have some very vivid dreams and alot of them are in color.

p.s. - you didn't find my set of holsters I lost a few years back, did you?

..........Widder

None of my dreams make any sense at all, except two recurring ones I have.

You are a fine dreamer!

Enjoyed your dream, Colt. I could "see" as if I were there with you.

Ghost

Archived