SASS Wire Forum

Price gouging?

I went out to seek some of the holy black yesterday..I haven't bought any blackpowder since the 80's and I have never cared for the substitutes..A local store in my area is supposed to sort of specialize in blackpowder so I figgered it was a good place to start, although they tend to be a little off-the-wall sometimes..When I got there the owner told me he didn't have anything but the substitutes for sale because as he put it "I don't have three acres of land and a bunker to store it in!" he went on to tell me that in order for a homeowner to legally keep more than a pound of black, one had to go the the local fire marshall or somebody and pay $50.00 for a permit..WHAT?

Anyhoo, while I was there he told another customer who was looking for .223 ammo that only a few months ago a case was selling for $350.00, at last week's gun show the same ammo was selling for $850.00 a case..He went on to say the same thing was going on with the AR-style rifles..He also said the dealers ain't paying a penny more now for the guns and ammo than they were then and were taking advantage of the current paranoia to make a killing..I don't know how true any of this is, but I wouldn't doubt the bit about the .223 and this guy WAS in a position to know..If it is indeed true, it's a sad comment on the gun and ammo dealers IMHO..So much for sticking together during the bad times..

The blackpowder bit I'm more skeptical of, I'm going to do some more looking.. :huh:

One of the reasons I went away from BP. King County is, at most, a liberal county. We have Seattle with us.

Our biggest problem is that we can smell the conservation laws drifting up from California. Seattle wants to be a suburb of San Francisco.

After studying the situation, I decided that black powder, stored in the house was not in my best interest.

So I called my friends down at the BATF to get a reading on it. They wanted me to build a shed out in the orchard something like 50 yards from the house. Build the shed out of drywall and wood frame, with a lock. I sorta got the idea that a drywall wall would not last long in the Seattle weather conditions. So, I went to smokeless.

I have to admit that the thought of folks hoarding Black Powder and storing it in the home gives me pause.

But that is just me.

Well, Dad always kept his BP supply in the basement and never thought twice about it, and that's where my reloading bench is right now, but I'm getting ready to at least move my powder, primers, and extra ammo out to the shed, and eventually my whole reloading setup-(After I get the dang thing cleaned out)

Keeping any kind of powder in the house is a bad idea, IMHO..All the regs this guy was telling me about is stuff that was supposedly enacted after 9/11..And like I said, I ain't bought any blackpowder in a long time..But lately I have a renewed interest in muzzleloaders and want to use it in my Sharps as well, so I'm going to have to find a supplier, as well as check the laws..I can see how firemen would be leery about a house with gunpowder stored in it! :blink:

There was a guy out in New Mexico who kept his smokeless, primers, and ammo out in his garage, but he kept it in a wheeled box that could be rolled out very quickly in case of fire..Not a bad idea..

Well, Dad always kept his BP supply in the basement and never thought twice about it, and that's where my reloading bench is right now, but I'm getting ready to at least move my powder, primers, and extra ammo out to the shed, and eventually my whole reloading setup-(After I get the dang thing cleaned out)

Keeping any kind of powder in the house is a bad idea, IMHO..All the regs this guy was telling me about is stuff that was supposedly enacted after 9/11..And like I said, I ain't bought any blackpowder in a long time..But lately I have a renewed interest in muzzleloaders and want to use it in my Sharps as well, so I'm going to have to find a supplier, as well as check the laws..I can see how firemen would be leery about a house with gunpowder stored in it! :blink:/>

There was a guy out in New Mexico who kept his smokeless, primers, and ammo out in his garage, but he kept it in a wheeled box that could be rolled out very quickly in case of fire..Not a bad idea..

Not trying to downplay the potential hazard due to unsafe storage but there seems to be an "OMG its explosive" knee-jerk reaction to powder and ammo while potentially more deadly materials like acetone, gasoline, carb cleaner,and other highly flammables infrequent most garages. Wanna hazard? Just watch one of those youtube video where the guy overflows his turkey fryer. :lol:

Price gouging, well if people pay it they pay it.

I have 5k of win large pistol primers that I will sell for $30,000.00, and not a penny less. If someone met that price, you bet I'd sell them LOL.

Why don't you have the BP sent to your house?

http://www.powderinc.com/

BTW, the gas in your car is a far bigger deal than a few lbs of powder. <_</>

LG

+1

Why don't you have the BP sent to your house?

http://www.powderinc.com/

BTW, the gas in your car is a far bigger deal than a few lbs of powder. <_</>

LG

Yup

I had a friend around here some years ago who kept 4 to 5 cases of Goex BP behind his wifes Lazy Boy chair in the living room. She was a heavy smoker and the chair was 4 feet from the fireplace! It was stored like that for over 15 years until she passed away from a heart attack.

As for me, mine is outside the house.

Kid Kneestone

Well, I got an update on the law..

A homeowner in a private residence can legally own up to 50 pounds of BP..The restrictions kick in when one lives in something like a condo or apartment building situation, I spent over an hour yesterday talking to the president of a local muzzleloading club and he had done a BUNCH of footwork researching all this out a coupla years ago..It seems there was a proposal from big brother- That is, the U.N.,that along with whole lot of other gun and ammo restrictions, limited the amount of blackpowder one could own..But it was only that-A PROPOSAL!

Apparently this somehow got circulated amongst a lot of ammo dealers and fire marshalls and somehow interpreted as a new law (Hmmm) and threw a bunch of folks into a panic..Here in N.C. there was apparently an anti-gun fire marshall down east who was fanning the flames and causing a bunch of misinterpetation..Dealers are supposed to have some sort of powder magazine to store it in, so a lot of dealers decided BP wasn't worth the hassle and went instead with the substitutes..

The thing with me is, my new flintlock don't work very well with the substitutes, and also if I'm going to shoot the holy black in anything, it's gonna be the real thing! My new friend told me the club he's with puts in an order a couple of times a year and all the club members chip in together on BP and save a BUNCH of $$..Almost half what the few dealers that are still selling it for are asking ($22-25.00 a lb.) Worth joining the club for that alone, IMHO, and definitely worth looking into the mail-order thing, fer sure!

As for the .223, yeah if people will pay the price the ones selling it will continue to jack the prices up..The fellow I talked to yesterday was telling me about a coupla years back when we had the primer shortage and the prices doubled..There was a guy who bought a truckload of primers hoping to make a killing, now the prices are down again and he's stuck with a buttload of primers he's either going to have to take a loss on, or sit on them indefinitely in the hope prices will go back up..If prices on .223 does come back down I think it would be wise for anyone with anything in that caliber to stock up..But it does bother me that we hear and read a lot of talk from the NRA and shooting community in general about sticking together and helping each other out during times like we're having now, but everytime it happens the prices double-Or worse..Just human nature I reckon, but still.. <_<

Of course, I don't own any AR-type rifles meself.. :rolleyes:/>

Doc, just get some buddies to go in with you. Order 25lbs of Goex. It will be delivered to your door for $14.90 @ lb. No one will beat that price...... ;)

I have been deal'n with Powder Inc for over 15yrs(I order evey year, a case of BP). They are good folk!

Wait till you see what good flints going for :wacko:/>

LG

Can't tell ya at what level (mebbe ALL) but somebody's sure as H$ll price gouging. Went to both local gun shops today, and was surprised to find one had a whole pile of .223's and even .308's.........$30/20 for Federal .223 hardball and over $1.50/round for cheapo Magtech .308's. I passed. Both surprisingly enough had AR's.....starting at $1800 up to $3000.

I passed. Got me thinking I could sure make a killing if I had a garage sale!

JHC

Price gouging or supply and demand economics? Hmmmm

Human nature being what it is, I guess we will learn to live with it.

I reckn we don't have much choice at this point. :(

A 2 fer 1 bash thread. The O.P. went from complaining about B.P. to gun store price gouging!!!

Nope, not complaining, or bashing..Just repeating what I was told by the gun store guy about both BP and .223, and passing the info along..As well as making a few observations of my own..

Like I said, I ain't bought any powder in a looong time and was surprised at how scarce it is locally..Apparently has been for a while..But I've found some sources at good prices so I'm content..Thanks for the info, Pards! :D

But the prices on .223 is outright highway robbery..Again, just an observation..

It's actually an Obama stimulus package, and it seems to be working!

LL' :unsure:/>

HA HA HA!

Wait a minute....that's true!

Archived