SASS Wire Forum

The 1911 Is An Outdated Design

Subdeacon Joe

That second post reminds me of a time when I was a kid growing up in michigan. I was in our local gun shop when a fellow with an obvious south eastern accent walked in (We dont have accents in michigan :D) and saw a 1911 sitting in the glass case, he got really surprised and said "wouldja look at the hole in the end of that thang" Every one in the store got a chucle out of it.

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

I am out dated too.Probably why my 1911 is my favrite.Even like it better than my old lever action 30-30.Oh,that's probably out dated too. :)

I am out dated too.Probably why my 1911 is my favrite.Even like it better than my old lever action 30-30.Oh,that's probably out dated too. :)/>

Yep..you need to get with the times. Out of the goodness of my heart I'll take that 1911 and 30-30 off your hands. ;)

I like my 45 1991A1. Will never sell it.

GG

I have a 1911 A1 and like mine very much.

Doubt that I would sell it either.

Mine has a big hole in the front end also.

As the big bad wolf said to Little Red Riding Hood,

All the better to bite you with, my dear. :lol:/>/>/>/>

Tennessee Stud and Paniolo Cowboy were the ones who convinced me that the 1911 was definitely the way to go. One of the best investments I've ever made.

Paniolo Cowboy retired from the Marines as a Gunnery Sergeant and would often be caught at his desk during his spare time disassembling his 1911 and putting it back together just to see how fast he could do it. This was at a time when a lot of folks were going to Tupperware.

Tennessee Stud and Paniolo Cowboy were the ones who convinced me that the 1911 was definitely the way to go. One of the best investments I've ever made.

Paniolo Cowboy retired from the Marines as a Gunnery Sergeant and would often be caught at his desk during his spare time disassembling his 1911 and putting it back together just to see how fast he could do it. This was at a time when a lot of folks were going to Tupperware.

Paniolo Cowboy is a great fella - enjoyed talking to him on the phone a year or so ago...

Tell him I say 'Hi' would ya...

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

Karl Lippard has 8 new patents on the 1911 NCO that his company, Joseph Brazier is now making under contract for USM. Michael Bane and Downrange TV just ffilmed a new segment of him shooting it for the record at the Whittington Center in NM at 600 yards and 200 yards.

8 shots of 10 on paper.....full rest of course. Don't try that at home.:D/>

Outdated 1911... varied superstitions... huh... hehehe... don't make me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhw_zbvxvb4

ts

Of course, TS carries his two buddies, Heckel and Jeckel, wherever he goes. They don't seem to be too outdated. ;)

I shot IPSC for about six years. I was a B Class shooter in Limited-10 (1911 single action), Production (Beretta 92) and Revolver (S&W 625). This means that I scored better than 54% of the other shooters but not better than 74% of the shooters, pretty much where I am in CAS.

Most shooters could handle the 1911 in .45 faster and more accurately than the Glock, Beretta or Sig on a stage of 30 rounds or less. The longer stages often favored the 9mm guns since the recoil was less. The 1911s had fewer reliability issues out of single-stack mags.

I will never not own a 1911 and sometimes own several. I cannot say that about other handguns.

I will never not own a 1911 and sometimes own several. I cannot say that about other handguns.

I agree, Tom. I currently have two on long term loan ( :D ), and I just love 'em.

I have one dozen 1911's in varying forms, from Govt. Issue to a couple that werent military. I also taught the 1911A1 for two years at TIGERLAND, North Fort Polk. We could tear them doen blindfolded or a paper bag or what ever you wanted to use to help us not see, and everyone would run great. It may be outdated,BUT, nothing hs really taken it's place.

It is hard to improve on perfection.

The only issue that I have with the 1911 is that the recoil is more than some can handle, and that the

pistol is a bit large for CCW.

The recoil is more the issue of the ammunition and loads and the pistol was not designed to be a CCW but rather a combat arm.

Both of these issues are the result of changes in the paradige for the piece. For what it was designed for, and what it is, is perfection.

Out dated...Saw something that Colt has a contract to sell a bunch to the Marines...Out dated??

Texas Lizard

22 million dollars worth for the M45. Mostly for MARSOC and Recon.

22 million dollars worth for the M45. Mostly for MARSOC and Recon.

Here's the article. Obviously the Marines don't think it's outdated.

Article

I have one dozen 1911's in varying forms, from Govt. Issue to a couple that werent military. I also taught the 1911A1 for two years at TIGERLAND, North Fort Polk. We could tear them doen blindfolded or a paper bag or what ever you wanted to use to help us not see, and everyone would run great. It may be outdated,BUT, nothing hs really taken it's place.

I would say not outdated, but a PROVEN design. Don't have a dozen, but I have several and its like American Express ---- Don't leave home without it! :FlagAm:/>

I have one dozen 1911's in varying forms, from Govt. Issue to a couple that werent military.

Hmmm. Maybe I need to start adding to my collection. I mean, why have just one, when I can have several? :)

Well, all the firearms that I have in the safe, are cherished. I would hate to part with any of them.

But with my 1911 and my M1 Garand, I feel that I am pretty well covered. The smooth bores will cover the close stuff.

Archived