SASS Wire Forum

Scotch on the rocks

Subdeacon Joe

Potrzebie

The bottles of Mackinlay's whisky, bottled in 1898 after the blend was aged 15 years, were among three crates of Scotch and two of brandy found in 2010 beneath a basic hut Shackleton had used during his 1907 Antarctic excursion. Distiller Whyte & Mackay, which now owns the Mackinlay brand, drew a sample with a syringe through a cork of one of the bottles. The original recipe is long gone, but the distiller recreated a limited edition of 50,000 bottles.

No way in HECK, is water EVER get'n near my Scotch <_</>

LG

+1, especially a single malt!

I might drop a single ice cube into my 12 year old Glenfiddich. Or not, depending on my mood.

Blasphemy! As a true Scott (MacLeod) I am officially authorized to pronounce this. ^_^

Chill it if you must, but do not water it down and change the delicate balance of the flavors! ;):ph34r:

As a member of the clan of McDonald (Sanderson)it is acceptable to use a single ice cube to "open" the flavor of Scotch with a single ice cube. Or not, depending on your taste. I like my Glenfiddich neat, most of the time.

We shall agree to disagree, and I'm tipping a 15 year Bowmore Islay Malt to you right now - neat, of course! ;)

SCOTCH will never get close to my water. BOURBON then IRISH is my choice (sans water)

TF

Wait...you chase Bourbon with Irish? "Bottles, I'll have a Dickle Sour Mash with a Bushmills Black Label chaser!"

Works for me.

SCOTCH will never get close to my water. BOURBON then IRISH is my choice (sans water)

TF

Stoped drinkin Scotch years ago when I came to the realization that I really didnt like it. ;)

SAVE ME SOME........... :lol:/> :lol:/>

LG

Anytime you are back in town, just let me know! :D

We missed you and Ima yesterday - absolutely Beautiful weather and great stages by Newt!

Get yer behind back up this way (or at least send Ima, anyway) B):)

Again...

I'm a lil slow...

Whats the difference in all these whiskies (Scotch, Bourbon, etc)?

I'm Scotch-Irish-English-Dutch and should know with the long line of alcoholics in my family. As of late I am partial to Smithwick's Ale.

Again...

I'm a lil slow...

I'm Scotch-Irish-English-Dutch and should know with the long line of alcoholics in my family. As of late I am partial to Smithwick's Ale.

Again...

I'm a lil slow...

Lay off the Ale. You're starting to repeat yourself :lol:

TF

Again...

I'm a lil slow...

If your family members didn't go to the meetings they are not alcoholics, they're just plain old drunks like many of us!!

I just heard, (last couple of days), that in the annual blind taste test in the UK, the best single malt award went to a distillery in Texas.

Balcones Distillery

Quote......

"Does “single malt” and “Texas” sound strange to you? It certainly does to me. But with my Texas roots (nearly half of my family lives in the state) I figured it would be worth a shot—even with a price tag just under $70.

Plus, it’s not like Balcones Distillery hasn’t won any awards. In addition to being named “American Craft Distillery of the Year” by Whisky Magazine, their various spirits have racked up accolades including a handful of prizes for this single malt from the Lone Star State."

http://www.stogieguys.com/2012/12/12042012-cigar-spirits-balcones-1-texas-single-malt-whisky.html

I just heard, (last couple of days), that in the annual blind taste test in the UK, the best single malt award went to a distillery in Texas.

Balcones Distillery

Quote......

"Does “single malt” and “Texas” sound strange to you? It certainly does to me. But with my Texas roots (nearly half of my family lives in the state) I figured it would be worth a shot—even with a price tag just under $70.

Plus, it’s not like Balcones Distillery hasn’t won any awards. In addition to being named “American Craft Distillery of the Year” by Whisky Magazine, their various spirits have racked up accolades including a handful of prizes for this single malt from the Lone Star State."

http://www.stogieguys.com/2012/12/12042012-cigar-spirits-balcones-1-texas-single-malt-whisky.html

I'll start my Balcones search tomorrow. I love finding new single malt. Thanks for the heads up.

Again...

I'm a lil slow...

Bourbon is only made in the USA. It must contain at least 51% corn in the mash. It must be stored in new charred oak barrels. It gets it's smoky note from the barrels.

Scotch uses only malted barley...and motor oil I think. ;)/> It gets its smoky note from the peat burnef during the distillation.

And FYI, Jack Daniels is Not Bourbon.

If your family members didn't go to the meetings they are not alcoholics, they're just plain old drunks like many of us!!

Thanks. It seems I have been carrying a lot of unnecessary shame for some time. This brings a fresh new perspective which will allow me to hold my head up high once more!

" And FYI, Jack Daniels is Not Bourbon. "

Correct, Bourbon must be made in Kentucky. JD is a Tennessee corn whiskey. Therefore it can not be a Bourbon.

But it is still a pretty good whiskey.

Footloose

Bourbon does NOT have to be made in Kentucky. By most countries labeling laws (including the US) Bourbon can only be made in the US.

Bourbon is just an American whisky made with a mash that is at least 51% corn but less than 80% corn. It must be aged in new, charred oak barrels, distilled to no more than 160 proof, barrel aged at no more that 125 proof, and bottled at least 80 proof. It must be aged at least 2 years to be straight bourbon. If aged at least 4 years, the length of aging must be on the bottle.

When the mash is 80% corn or more, Federal regs require the whisky be labeled corn whisky.

Jack Daniel's is a straight Bourbon whisky. For marketing purposes, they choose not to advertise it as such.

Extracts from the US Federal Code of regulations, title 27, part 5.

“Bourbon whisky”, “rye whisky”, “wheat whisky”, “malt whisky”, or “rye malt whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

Corn whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 80 percent corn grain, and if stored in oak containers stored at not more than 125° proof in used or uncharred new oak containers and not subjected in any manner to treatment with charred wood; and also includes mixtures of such whisky.

Whiskies conforming to the standards prescribed in paragraphs ... of this section, which have been stored in the type of oak containers prescribed, for a period of 2 years or more shall be further designated as “straight”; for example, “straight bourbon whisky”, “straight corn whisky”, and whisky conforming to the standards prescribed in paragraph ... of this section, except that it was produced from a fermented mash of less than 51 percent of any one type of grain, and stored for a period of 2 years or more in charred new oak containers shall be designated merely as “straight whisky”. No other whiskies may be designated “straight”. “Straight whisky” includes mixtures of straight whiskies of the same type produced in the same State.

“Whisky distilled from bourbon (rye, wheat, malt, or rye malt) mash” is whisky produced in the United States at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored in used oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type. Whisky conforming to the standard of identity for corn whisky must be designated corn whisky.

As a member of the clan of McDonald (Sanderson)it is acceptable to use a single ice cube to "open" the flavor of Scotch with a single ice cube. Or not, depending on your taste. I like my Glenfiddich neat, most of the time.

As a Scot from a Clan older than those McWhatevah latecomers; a connoisseur of Single Malts is permitted a few drops of spring water to open up the flavor. Anything more, and you're abusing the Water of Life.

:)/>

As far as I'm concerned, if you are doing anything other than pouring it in a glass, you are wasting your time. That goes for Scotch (which I ain't partial to), Bourbon (which I most definitely AM partial to), Rye (another favorite), Irish or any other whiskey for that matter.

My latest favorite sipping whiskey is Evan Williams Honey Reserve. It kicked the Beam's Rye that I've been nipping and sipping on for over a decade right to the curb. Now, before all the whiskey purists start talking about the travesty of 'flavored' whiskeys, I agree under normal circumstances but the honeyed Bourbons are an exception to that rule. The honey knocks off some of the rough edges and it goes down really smooth. So smooth, in fact, that you really have to watch it or you'll sit there drinking it all night and suddenly discover you can't make your legs work when you try to stand up. (Or so I've heard. :blush:/> )

Another note on whiskey making.

Bourbon makers only use their barrels once. Every batch goes into new charred oak barrels to age. They sell their used barrels to other whiskey makers around the world. Scotch and Irish whiskey distilleries are some of their biggest clients and there's even a tequila distiller down Mexico way that's aging their tequila in used Bourbon barrels.

And if we wanna check ancestral bona fides, mine are Scots-Irish (Clan McDowell- an offshoot of the Clan McDowall- they, in turn, are an offshoot of the Clan McDougall) of the gallowglass clans that the O'Neils settled in Lorne. That branch of the family came over in the 1680's and headed to the Appalachians in PA where they picked up making 'recipe'. Eventually, they wandered down the chain to the southern foothills near Pine Mountain, GA (the Gardens of Calloway Gardens was built on what once was the family hunting land because it was too steep to plow). My Great Great Grandfather died of a ripe old age (either 98 or 103, nobody really is certain) and one of his daughters claimed it was the corn liquor that he made and partook of that finally did him in.

The US requirement that some aging be done new oak barrels is actually a problem for American Malted Barley Whiskey makers (AKA American Scotch). It imparts a much stronger taste to the product, which is why Scottish distillers rely on used barrels.

Archived