SASS Wire Forum

About Lance Armstrong

Subdeacon Joe

The thing that bothers me the most of this whole mess is that the governing body of cycling is trying to make out that he was the only one and all others, especially the French, are innocent as the driven snow.

Garbage, he got caught. The others did not.

Show me a clean professional sport?

The thing that bothers me the most of this whole mess is that the governing body of cycling is trying to make out that he was the only one and all others, especially the French, are innocent as the driven snow.

maybe...golf?

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Exactly! In 99 what did he use? What was on the list of banned substances? Back then nobody was sure of anything and yet they followed him around and accused him of stuff with no evidence. Heck I would have got testy about that myself.

I am not sure what baseball's drug policy was or if they had a list of banned substances back when Mark McGuire resurrected the post strike game, but they wanna act like they did now... :huh:

In professional sports they pay guys to be the best they can be then gripe when they do it. Amateur sports are getting screwed up too! Look at college basketball and football. Until the organizations in charge get a grip (should have had one if it mattered to them) and start hitting the same quality of balls that the Babe hit then so much for records and the spirit of the game.

If it weren't for Armstrong would anyone care about the Tour Defrance? Wonder who won 2 years ago? Yeah cycling is right... Armstrong is a rat bastard!

maybe...golf?

Hi GG,

I don't see a winky so, just in case you were serious, look here or here. Very :(/> to think about. I know that there are (or were) cheaters in our beloved SASS too.

I'd heard that golfers cheat, but not being a golfer, I was unsure how it was done. So, I Googled. :)

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi GG,

I don't see a winky so, just in case you were serious, look here or here. Very :(/>/> to think about. I know that there are (or were) cheaters in our beloved SASS too.

I'd heard that golfers cheat, but not being a golfer, I was unsure how it was done. So, I Googled. :)/>

Regards,

Allie Mo

;)/> I was refering to DOPING - steroids...performance enhancing drugs, that sort of thing....I have played golf since I was 10 years old. It's a game that relies on personal integrity. The good thing is there are a number of professionals and amateurs alike that adhere to 'the spirit of the game' and will call penalties on themselves. As with anything human, there will always be honest and dishonest folks...

In all honesty I have no idea if golfers are doping themselves up...but, on the surface, it seems one of the least likely of any of the professional sports.

;)/>/>/> I was refering to DOPING - steroids...performance enhancing drugs, that sort of thing....I have played golf since I was 10 years old. It's a game that relies on personal integrity. The good thing is there are a number of professionals and amateurs alike that adhere to 'the spirit of the game' and will call penalties on themselves. As with anything human, there will always be honest and dishonest folks...

In all honesty I have no idea if golfers are doping themselves up...but, on the surface, it seems one of the least likely of any of the professional sports.

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>/>/>

Okay :blush:/>

So, I Googled "drugs and golf" and found this and this. :(/>

Regards,

Allie

LOL>>>> did ya read it? He took an anti- anxiety drug that many people are on as a learning/ anxiety drug. IT's not like he was blood doping or on steroids for GOLF.... Lee Trevino would be ROTHLHAO.

Okay :blush:/>/>

So, I Googled "drugs and golf" and found this and this. :(/>/>

Regards,

Allie

Fair nuff - but it this is rather an isolated one in comparison to football, baseball, track, cycling, etc...;)/> In other words - it's rare (at least as far as we know) - yes, it can happen, but again - certainly not in the rampage it has affected the other sports listed above.

There are several rumors of golfers taking beta-blockers to fix the yips, and various steroids, hGH, and testosterone to bulk up so as to hit the ball farther. I don't think there is a clean sport. Doping goes deep into the amateur ranks.

There are several rumors of golfers taking beta-blockers to fix the yips, and various steroids, hGH, and testosterone to bulk up so as to hit the ball farther. I don't think there is a clean sport. Doping goes deep into the amateur ranks.

Rumors are rumors...facts stick. I am not naive and realize anything is possible... however as golf is one of the least demanding physical sports as I described above the ' performance' benefits are likely to be less...and not used widespread. But...? Who knows.

Anyway...I am for ANY professional sport to have players tested for such..

GG

I am for testing in every sport where money changes hands as well. The only problem is that the dopers are about 2 steps ahead of the testers. For example, in cycling there are knowledgable reports from cyclists that the current drug of choice is a variety of EPO from China. There's currently no test for it. The Biological Passport system used by cycling is pretty good, but can still be beat.

I am for testing in every sport where money changes hands as well. The only problem is that the dopers are about 2 steps ahead of the testers. For example, in cycling there are knowledgable reports from cyclists that the current drug of choice is a variety of EPO from China. There's currently no test for it. The Biological Passport system used by cycling is pretty good, but can still be beat.

The constant battle of honesty versus dishonesty I guess... appreciate ya Doc and your insights...and your CAS learning vids... :D

GG

As a former competive cyclist...this behavior was becoming rather prevalent back in 76. This did not surprise me at all. Mr. Lance gets whats coming to him and is deserving of it all. He is a discrace to the sport.

The thing that's been bothering me is not that he's a lying cheater with no apparent remorse, but that so many people seem to be saying, "So what? Everyody does it."

So what? It's Wrong, that's so what! Have we become so jaded and accepting of such behavior that we really can't or won't distinguish between what's right and honorable and what's immoral and unethical?

And many of these same people bemoan the state of things and wonder what's happened to America.

I'll flat out admit that I'm one who says, "Who Cares"!!

All of these "professional" sportsman be it football, baseball, cycling, whatever. Who cares if their juicing? It certainly is not me.

These guys are making millions of dollars (Salary, Endorsements, etc.) to play their game. The owners, coaches, sponsors, even they fans cound give a rat's a$$ how their doing it when they're winning and making money so why care now? Everyone knew what they're doing (then) to win and make them money so why is it a big deal now that the person(s) are no longer in the "game"?

Take away these over inflated salaries and you will stop the doping. Until then you will have middle school kids that see these huge paychecks in their futures, but only if they are that much faster or that much stronger! These kids see this and don't care about anything but that million dollar contract, so it's not real hard to see why they will be doping to get it.

So I for one could care less, dope all you want, It's not hurting me one bit. And for those who say "it's cheating" Whatever? As long as an owner has more money than the next to throw into their team than the next you will never have any balance in any sport!

JEL

Professional Wrestling.......those guys would never use steroids.

But it's not really a sport. Just really fun entertainment! :P/>

A pro wrestler taking the juice is like an actress getting "enhancements". It's all part of the shtick to keep the audience coming back for more.

Did anybody in the USA care about the Tour De France before Armstrong? Not many people even knew it existed. Everybody looked the other way because he was the Golden Goose everybody

made money off of all over the world. He was the continuation of cheating that had been going on since the race started. I am not defending him one way or another but some historical

perspective is needed to understand why he did what he did. They have been doping since riders found it helped them in that race. Read this news article to get a perspective.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/01/130117-opinion-lance-armstrong-tour-de-france-sports/

I watched the Tour back in the '80s. And yes, I know they were doping then. But doping didn't really turn the sport upside down until the drugs improved the body's ability to move and process oxygen. These oxygen vector drugs (like EPO) were more than just a few % improvement. The difference from using to not was/is enormous.

So... according to you... there are various degrees of... "Good"... and... "Bad"?

Is that what you are saying?

Ya know... "A man convinced against his will... is of the same opinion still."

You are... unconvincible... and.. therefore... I can't respond to you.

Have a good life while I put you on "ignore".

ts

I am so glad that a person like you could have the MORAL AUTHORITY to put someone on ignore JUST because they have an opinion that differs from the GREAT TENNESSEE STUD!

Real people can be involved in a real discussion. Apparently that does not include you. One insult deserves another.

<End sarcasm mode>

I'm just wondering if the whole fiasco has anything to do with all that skintight spandex cutting off the blood flow to the brain....

Uh...no. The clothing serves a purpose. It reduces chafing, significantly. It's also comfortable in a wide range of motion and is excellent at whicking away sweat and such so that the wearer stays comfortable. Not to mention the bright colors make a rider more visible to drivers.

I know you're making a joke, but I thought I'd correct the misconception anyway. :-)

Archived