SASS Wire Forum

About Lance Armstrong

Subdeacon Joe

Those of us that have been following bicycle racing for years have long known that something wasn't quite right regarding Armstrong. There have been doping suspicions and allegations since he failed a test for cortisone in 1999 and produced a back-dated prescription to cover it up. Then when word got out that a $100,000 donation to the UCI (the world governing body) was made to cover up a 2001 positive for EPO at the Tour de Suisse, we were pretty sure of it.

The excuse that "they were all doping" is a red herring. They weren't all doping. And you don't go rob a bank because all your friends do.

This has been interesting. I'm hopeful that cycling will take this opportunity to clean up, but realistically I know it isn't likely. Doping is widespread in every professional sport. Very endemic to football, soccer, baseball, track, etc. However, I do think that with all the busts recently, that cycling is making some progress.

The thing that's been bothering me is not that he's a lying cheater with no apparent remorse, but that so many people seem to be saying, "So what? Everyody does it."

So what? It's Wrong, that's so what! Have we become so jaded and accepting of such behavior that we really can't or won't distinguish between what's right and honorable and what's immoral and unethical?

And many of these same people bemoan the state of things and wonder what's happened to America.

The other thing that bothers me, other than all the intimidation and bullying, is that several cyclists with promising careers couldn't pursue their dreams if they didn't dope. So many refused to and ended up doing something else, their dreams trashed by others using PEDs. That's really sad.

The thing that's been bothering me is not that he's a lying cheater with no apparent remorse, but that so many people seem to be saying, "So what? Everyody does it."

So what? It's Wrong, that's so what! Have we become so jaded and accepting of such behavior that we really can't or won't distinguish between what's right and honorable and what's immoral and unethical?

And many of these same people bemoan the state of things and wonder what's happened to America.

Like the saying I grew up with..."Just because everyone else is doin' it, don't make it right!" (I heard that so many times... :wacko:...but thankfully it sank in.)

I am so over this jerk.

After he did things like put Greg LeMond's custom bicycle's out of business for pointing fingers, trashed the reputation of his personal masseuse because she didn't want to run drugs for him any more, and the list goes on and on...

He's a dirtbag and deserves everything he's getting.

I am so over this jerk.

After he did things like put Greg LeMond's custom bicycle's out of business for pointing fingers, trashed the reputation of his personal masseuse because she didn't want to run drugs for him any more, and the list goes on and on...

He's a dirtbag and deserves everything he's getting.

Except the attention, and the book deal, and a movie, and........:angry:

Except the attention, and the book deal, and a movie, and........:angry:/>/>/>/>

Agreed.... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sounds like Sheryl Crow is getting questioned about him too. Nothing like a scorned woman....

Agreed.... :angry:/>/> :angry:/>/> :angry:/>/> :angry:/>/>

Sounds like Sheryl Crow is getting questioned about him too. Nothing like a scorned woman....

All she wanted to do was have some fun. ;)

Except the attention, and the book deal, and a movie, and........:angry:/>/>

You forgot about the speaking circuit where he'll receive several thousand bucks a pop to talk about the evils of performance enhancing drugs.

(I wonder how much Oprah paid him to reveal his "secret" on her show. The whole thing smells if you ask me.)

IMHO our society has become so enamored with someone who kicks something like cancer and then does something grand that they will overlook the obvious. I smelled a rat as I'm sure most of you did. He destroyed a lot of people just to cover his a&& and I think he belongs in jail. Whether that will happen or not remains to be seen, but I think a judge and jury may be his worst nightmare if it ever gets that far.

IMHO our society has become so enamored with someone who kicks something like cancer and then does something grand that they will overlook the obvious. I smelled a rat as I'm sure most of you did. He destroyed a lot of people just to cover his a&& and I think he belongs in jail. Whether that will happen or not remains to be seen, but I think a judge and jury may be his worst nightmare if it ever gets that far.

And who really deserves the credit for beating the cancer? Him or his doctors? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

+1

Should this ever go to a jury, there will be folks waiting in line to testify against him.....

Lance Armstrong is a very bad man.

ts

Yes he is, Babu. Yes he is.;)

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

The excuse that "they were all doping" is a red herring. They weren't all doping. And you don't go rob a bank because all your friends do.

This has been interesting. I'm hopeful that cycling will take this opportunity to clean up, but realistically I know it isn't likely. Doping is widespread in every professional sport. Very endemic to football, soccer, baseball, track, etc. However, I do think that with all the busts recently, that cycling is making some progress.

They need to clean the red herring? I often wonder what to do with sports. They aren't governed correctly, and with improvements in equipment and such how can new records be compared with old? Everyone is doing it shouldn't be an excuse but in sports where are you if you aren't while a bunch are? If the pitchers are juiced should the hitters be clean? The Armstrong deal has always been interesting because he passed the tests of the day then they wanted to come at him 10 years later.

I am sure that in NASCAR teams get past inspections and go to the next race. There are real issues with the governing bodies of sports organizations right down to weigh ins for fights which happen days later and one of the fighters may show up 12 pounds heavier than his opponent. There is a certain amount of reckoning that needs to be done in all sports. I am starting to lose interest in most stuff because how can ya compare what Jesse Owens did to what some athlete is doing now? If the tour defrance winners were on old school bikes and not lighter and lighter materials with better gear sets then they could... and what of the poor pole vaulters who used bamboo? Where is their record in a carbon fiber world?

Maybe it's the professional sports monster and the money that has ruined everything. Armstrong shouldn't have had the resources to game the system the way he did. I don't like doping but I do see that if it is happening and if the folks in charge aren't sophisticated enuff to catch someone on the day of the event and have a very specific list of banned substances then folks will short stroke their Ruger :huh:/>

ts

On the scale of badness, he doesn't get even one needle.

He only used substances banned in a sport.

And lied about using it.

Compared to armstrong, how do you rank osama bin laden, barack obama,

adolf hitler, josef stalin, machine gun kelly, bonnie and clyde, baby faced nelson or dilinger?

Nay, not a very bad man just a liar and cheat.

That makes him on a par with a congressman or a used car salesman.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

And lied about using it.

adolf hitler, josef stalin, machine gun kelly, bonnie and clyde, baby faced nelson or dilinger?

Wrong.

Lance Armstrong absolutely RUINED... the lives of countless innocent folks... financially and reputationally. And he knowingly knew the truth while he did it.

ts

ts

And lied about using it.

You are both correct on some counts!

You are both correct on some counts!

Ya know, Ma'am... there has been very few wimmen in my life that can even have a picture as purty as yores. And that means... in real life... you must be somethin' to behold!

However... I beg to differ with yore analysis. There is hardly ANY room for leaway... twixt good and evil. Hardly any... if any.

There are evils... and anybody who lie to you... will steal from you. And no less than Bernard Maydoff... he stole more than can ever be paid back.

Evil... is EVIL. And we need to take a stand at every angle.

Pardon me Ma'am... I do enjoy you EVEN responding to me.

ts

Ya know, Ma'am... there has been very few wimmen in my life that can even have a picture as purty as yores. And that means... in real life... you must be somethin' to behold!

However... I beg to differ with yore analysis. There is hardly ANY room for leaway... twixt good and evil. Hardly any... if any.

There are evils... and anybody who lie to you... will steal from you. And no less than Bernard Maydoff... he stole more than can ever be paid back.

Evil... is EVIL. And we need to take a stand at every angle.

Pardon me Ma'am... I do enjoy you EVEN responding to me.

ts

Dear TS,

Sorry if I was unclear. I agreed with your post entirely and Hacker's somewhat.

Thank you for the kind words!

AM

Hmmm... what did I just post? :unsure:/>

You are most kind. And your post was cleared up in my book.

Sure lookin' forward to seein' you... in person... one fine day.

Maybe... hopefully... a friendly hug... if I don't get outta line.

ts

Did good for alot of people....seems that legacy is dust now....too bad.

GG

His FOUNDATION did a lot of good for people. He started it, then it moved away from him so it could stand on it's own. There's a lot of tax and other reasons to do that. Good thing they did!! He himself destroyed a lot of people for his own benefit/pleasure/fear...... I never thought much of him as a person, I think less of him now.

You are most kind. And your post was cleared up in my book.

Sure lookin' forward to seein' you... in person... one fine day.

Maybe... hopefully... a friendly hug... if I don't get outta line.

ts

I'm sure I could find it in my heart to give you a hug, whether you stand in line or not. ;)/>

His FOUNDATION did a lot of good for people. He started it, then it moved away from him so it could stand on it's own. There's a lot of tax and other reasons to do that. Good thing they did!! He himself destroyed a lot of people for his own benefit/pleasure/fear...... I never thought much of him as a person, I think less of him now.

As I said...it's too bad.

GG

Wrong.

Lance Armstrong absolutely RUINED... the lives of countless innocent folks... financially and reputationally. And he knowingly knew the truth while he did it.

ts

There is NO wrong.

The persons you claim had their lives ruined were part of it. They participated.

A very bad man is adolf hitler, osama bin laden, josef stalin, barack obama, harry reid.

armstrong is only a liar and a cheat. That makes him a polititican. Did he murder anyone. No!

He is only a bad man. So that is that.

So... according to you... there are various degrees of... "Good"... and... "Bad"?

Is that what you are saying?

Ya know... "A man convinced against his will... is of the same opinion still."

You are... unconvincible... and.. therefore... I can't respond to you.

Have a good life while I put you on "ignore".

ts

Archived