SASS Wire Forum

Open carry statement

On the other hand, he was an honest citizen, quietly going about his normal business. He wasn't ranting. He wasn't waving his firearms around. Just calmly making his purchases. Should be totally unremarkable. Maybe, if more gun owners "sit in the front of the bus," just maybe, we will again be seen as the unthreatening, peaceable citizens that we are.

If you're encouraging me to go into a department store with an ar strapped on, I believe I'll just continue to pack my 1911 concealed.

Sure, the guy was exercising his rights. He was totally within the law. I'm not criticizing him for that or am I throwing him under the proverbial bus. I'm just saying that at a time when anti-gun advocates are just looking for any excuse to demean firearms or personal carry, this may not have been the best way to win them over to our side.

You will never win them over to our side, their fear is pathological and will not respond to reason.

On the other hand, he was an honest citizen, quietly going about his normal business. He wasn't ranting. He wasn't waving his firearms around. Just calmly making his purchases. Should be totally unremarkable. Maybe, if more gun owners "sit in the front of the bus," just maybe, we will again be seen as the unthreatening, peaceable citizens that we are.

Agree 100% Joe. Thanks for saying it well.

How do you KNOW that he was one of US?

One of the best tactics that an Anti-Gunner could do right now is to start flaunting a semi-auto 'looking' rifle in this manner.

Ya know why.....because (according to alot of these post) it even appears alarming to those who are Pro-2A.

I agree with Bro.King (there goes the neighborhood). Let it ride.

I was in Walmart 2 evenings back and this sizeable man (big) walks buy with his family pushing a buggy. Yep, grocery shopping he was.

He had his sidearm strapped on and clearly visible for all to see. Ya wanta know a secret.....I found it comforting. Of course, I had mine under my shirt but thats my preferrence. I was glad to know that if evil flung a cravin on some idiot to create havoc, me and this feller could atleast supply some resistance.

This photo is kinda strange to me. The picture taker took time to make a few photo's but didn't seem alarmed enough to call 911. mmmmmm. Sounds to me like it was all staged anyhow for some special purpose.

..........Widder

If you're encouraging me to go into a department store with an ar strapped on, I believe I'll just continue to pack my 1911 concealed.

Whatever is your right....whatever you want to do....

GG

It's wonderful that in TX, OK, AK and a host of other states you don't have to worry about increased gun regulations being passed.

What some don't realize is that those of us in CA, CT, CO, MA, NY, MD and probably a few more states that I forgot, are currently fighting perhaps the hardest fight we've ever faced to keep our guns, or at least keep our gun laws the way they are today. Living in CT, I'll be THRILLED if we just manage to keep the crappy gun laws we had before that murderer walked into the school, but I'm not optimistic.

The guy who walked into JC Penny's? Sure he may have been within his legal rights, but he sure in the hell didn't help those of in the states I listed above.

It's wonderful that in TX, OK, AK and a host of other states you don't have to worry about increased gun regulations being passed.

What some don't realize is that those of us in CA, CT, CO, MA, NY, MD and probably a few more states that I forgot, are currently fighting perhaps the hardest fight we've ever faced to keep our guns, or at least keep our gun laws the way they are today. Living in CT, I'll be THRILLED if we just manage to keep the crappy gun laws we had before that murderer walked into the school, but I'm not optimistic.

The guy who walked into JC Penny's? Sure he may have been within his legal rights, but he sure in the hell didn't help those of in the states I listed above.

You hit the mark. My assemblyman in Wes Chesboro, who toes the party line and hasn't ever voted against a restriction on guns. My state senator is Noreen Evans, yet another anti-gun politician. Member of the House is none other than the Hon. Mike Thompson, head of the Dems panel on reducing "gun violence" and who, we are told over and over, is a "gun owner, hunter, and Viet Nam veteran" as if any of that has anything to do with his desire to ban 'assault magazines' and get 'assault weapons off the streets.' As if they are plentiful on the streets to start with. And, of course, my dear US Senators, Diane "I'm important so I need a gun" Feinstein and Barbara "I'm too important to be called ma'am" Boxer. Even Heracles would be daunted by the task.

One surprise though is Gov. Jerry Brown who, when asked about new gun laws, basically said "We have more important stuff to worry about." And when he was mayor of Oakland said that it was the right of the people to own guns. Crime in Oakland has gone way up since he left that office.

I couldn't disagree more and the evidence that more carry= more rights to carry= more people exercising that right is quite simply the proliferation of right to carry laws since the passage in FLorida now almost 20 years ago.

After all the hand wringing, blood in the streets, OK Corral bull**p that never happened we have almost 50 states with some right to carry laws. The more people become used to seeing someone besides cops carrying guns; even the cops will become more used to it.

Which, BTW I suspect if there is an honest assessment the LEO's on this thread don't worry a lick about other LEO's carrying guns. Why would honest citizens be any different?

I couldn't disagree more and the evidence that more carry= more rights to carry= more people exercising that right is quite simply the proliferation of right to carry laws since the passage in FLorida now almost 20 years ago.

After all the hand wringing, blood in the streets, OK Corral bull**p that never happened we have almost 50 states with some right to carry laws. The more people become used to seeing someone besides cops carrying guns; even the cops will become more used to it.

Which, BTW I suspect if there is an honest assessment the LEO's on this thread don't worry a lick about other LEO's carrying guns. Why would honest citizens be any different?

Good point.

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

There's a difference in carrying a gun and strapping on an assault rifle and walking into a retail store at this point in time when two incidents are fresh in people's minds. People with pistols in open carry states are one thing. Why the unloaded rifle? I carry for self defense, not to make a statement. He could have put on a Molon Labe t-shirt ior carried a sign if he wanted to make his feelings known.

This has nothing to with being legal. It has everything to do with being smart as far as I'm concerned. I do not believe you can force people into being comfortable about guns by using this method.

Now for a tactical query:

If you have your empty AR strapped to your back, and a large fellow follows you from the store and comes up behind you in the parking lot and grabs it...what do you do now young mall ninja? I hope you have a pocket pistol. ;)

I find little correlation in the courageous actions of Milk, Parks, et al and this guy who for some reason felt a need to walk into a store with an AR strapped on just because he could.

There's a difference in being merely offended by someone's actions, i.e. refusing to give up your bus seat or demanding equal rights, and being frightened by the appearance of a man with a firearm in a similar place where recently, heinous murders have been committed. Did he wear a sign ststeing he was protesting the potential destructrion of the second amendment? Did he engage anyone in conversation in an attempt to inform and educate?

I don't think that's the way to endear the public to our point of view. And it's the public we must convince; the majority of Americans who do not own guns and who will pressure their representatives one way or the other.

No, in my opinion it was just a silly thing to do.

If there are any local TV or newspaper interviews with this guy I'd really like to see them. maybe he's more articulate and thoughtful than I think.

I see every correlation in the world between this guy, "Milk, Parks, et al", Bob.

Endearing the CURRENT public to our view is not the issue. Making converts IS.

And, I'm beginning to think that maybe there aren't enough articulate types to carry the day and that as long as they are peaceful and law abiding, maybe the INarticulate types are okay.

Cat Brules

I see every correlation in the world between this guy, "Milk, Parks, et al", Bob.

Well, we're never going to agree on that one I guess.

My first instinct was that carrying the AR open was just going to alienate a lot of people. But then I realized that was EXACTLY what the anti-gunners want. We are afraid of our own shadows, afraid to exercise our RIGHTS, that are slowly being taken away. We are just like the black people before the civil rights movement. be quiet, be respectful, don't bring any attention to yourself or the people in charge might get mad. We NEED to bring some attention to ourselves. We NEED to show the average person that we DO have rights and aren't willing to give them up. We are going to have to get in more peoples faces or we will be considered unimportant and we will lose every time doing that. You don't keep your rights in the face of solid opposition by asking nicely. We have been doing that for as long as I can remember, and I am 56 years old, and it isn't working. Carrying concealed is a good thing, Bob, but unless people know you are doing it you may as well be doing nothing. For security reasons I would feel better if the guy in Utah was carrying a fake AR, at least he could make a point and not endanger anybody. Other than that I say GOOD FOR HIM! Like my father used to say, do SOMETHING, even if it is wrong. Doing nothing accomplishes nothing.

You live in a bright red state, not one purple or entirely blue. You open carry a rifle in CT outside of a range or hunting, you are almost certainly going to spend some time explaining things in a police station and even though open carry is technically legal, they may find something else to charge you with. You may win in court, but it's going to cost you money and if you lose..........

And yes, there have been arrests of people open carrying handguns here in CT and they lost the handgun and the right to carry until they finally won in court.

I'll defer to any NY,MA or NJ cowboys, but I'm fairly certain open carry will get you arrested in those states.

You live in a bright red state, not one purple or entirely blue. You open carry a rifle in CT outside of a range or hunting, you are almost certainly going to spend some time explaining things in a police station and even though open carry is technically legal, they may find something else to charge you with. You may win in court, but it's going to cost you money and if you lose..........

And yes, there have been arrests of people open carrying handguns here in CT and they lost the handgun and the right to carry until they finally won in court.

I'll defer to any NY,MA or NJ cowboys, but I'm fairly certain open carry will get you arrested in those states.

Guess it's good the feller with the AR wasn't in those anti-gun rights states.

Some of us live in blue states and some of us live in red states.

The overall attitude about firearms is very different overall.

Washington is fairly tolerant of guns and protecting rights.

That is because a large percentage of the population own guns.

You look closely at the urban areas of the State and you will see

that is not the case. As long as the numbers protect the gun owners

things will not change a whole lot. When the numbers change, look out.

Our State Representatives in both National and State and even local politics

reflect the liberal line. In my opinion there is even an underlying desire to

become a suburb of San Francisco, at least in Seattle and the Fremont District.

The comment "Write or call your congressman and Senator", for me, will invoke a

form letter telling me of the wonderful things that they have done for me, and how

beneficial they are to me, even if I don't want them. In other words, the PARTY LINE.

With that in mind, I fail to see how walking around with an unloaded AR is going to

further the cause.

Faced with the fact that the media is biased and ignorant for the most part, and driven by ratings and

circulation rather than the facts and news, we have an uphill fight.

The internet is filled with all sorts of fantasy and facts,

so how is one to determine one from the other.

The TV reports are tainted by editorial review before they ever get on the air.

The news papers are plagued by the same issue. This would be another matter if

the general population was capable of discerning truth from fiction, but the need

for instant gratification and the specter of celebrities, seems to confuse them, especially

the young. Having lost our moral compass, the need to tell the truth is sadly lacking in

the equation.

I certainly do not have the answer, I wish I did. But I do not believe striking fear into the hearts

and minds of the uneducated is the answer.

Hello,

I can actually think of a justification for his open carry of an unloaded gun and it is not to "make a statement."

Maybe he was on his way to the range to shoot it and didn't want to leave it in the car. Car theft could be a concern. Maybe the safest thing would be to just take the gun with you in the store (if legal).

Regards,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

Some of us live in blue states and some of us live in red states.

The overall attitude about firearms is very different overall.

Washington is fairly tolerant of guns and protecting rights.

That is because a large percentage of the population own guns.

You look closely at the urban areas of the State and you will see

that is not the case. As long as the numbers protect the gun owners

things will not change a whole lot. When the numbers change, look out.

Our State Representatives in both National and State and even local politics

reflect the liberal line. In my opinion there is even an underlying desire to

become a suburb of San Francisco, at least in Seattle and the Fremont District.

The comment "Write or call your congressman and Senator", for me, will invoke a

form letter telling me of the wonderful things that they have done for me, and how

beneficial they are to me, even if I don't want them. In other words, the PARTY LINE.

With that in mind, I fail to see how walking around with an unloaded AR is going to

further the cause.

Faced with the fact that the media is biased and ignorant for the most part, and driven by ratings and

circulation rather than the facts and news, we have an uphill fight.

The internet is filled with all sorts of fantasy and facts,

so how is one to determine one from the other.

The TV reports are tainted by editorial review before they ever get on the air.

The news papers are plagued by the same issue. This would be another matter if

the general population was capable of discerning truth from fiction, but the need

for instant gratification and the specter of celebrities, seems to confuse them, especially

the young. Having lost our moral compass, the need to tell the truth is sadly lacking in

the equation.

I certainly do not have the answer, I wish I did. But I do not believe striking fear into the hearts

and minds of the uneducated is the answer.

well...it didn;t seem that anybody was 'struck with fear' in this example...seems the guy had an idea about his surroundings. Some do...some don't I reckon.

“The psychotic murder in Newtown, Conn. broke 41 laws – how insane do you have to be to think the 42nd law would have had any effect on this madman? If you listen to Mike Bloomberg framing the Second Amendment as a deer hunting issue – this is bizzaro world. He’s got to be the dumbest upright species in the history of breathing creatures. What kind of idiot thinks that our Founding Fathers were protecting deer hunting?” Ted Nugent

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/18/ted-nugent-on-obama-when-a-man-can-dictate-to-another-man-an-unarmed-helplessness-such-a-dictator-is-dangerous/#ixzz2IcsJ22aG

Hello,

I can actually think of a justification for his open carry of an unloaded gun and it is not to "make a statement."

Maybe he was on his way to the range to shoot it and didn't want to leave it in the car. Car theft could be a concern. Maybe the safest thing would be to just take the gun with you in the store (if legal).

Regards,

Allie Mo :ph34r:/>

Uncased? Seems unlikely but I guess no one asked him. We aren't event sure it was real I guess.

Maybe he's an airsoft guy.

I think I'll go get me a biscuit. ;)

I like this open carry though

And I'll bet it's loaded too.

Teddy Roosevelt said "In a moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing"

This guy can not be said to be guilty of the last part.

Teddy Roosevelt said "In a moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing"

THIS GUY? :wacko:/> About your eye glass prescription....:blush:/> I know who to ask to watch my lounge chair while I take a swim! B)/>

Okay, it's obvious we all have our opinions on this...BUT, remember folks, this is Utah. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of people here in our neck of the woods in Northern Utah carry...some openly...and nobody gives it a second thought. This particular incident happened in Orem, Utah, a large, populated area. Still, not too many people gave it much of a second thought. I think the press is making a bigger deal of it than most of the locals.

While I agree that Bloombuds is an idiot, I doubt that he was concerned about hunters. He smelled votes and by spoon feeding the sheeple, they will be forth coming. One does not get to be the chief executive officer of a major US city without having a strong connection to a political machine and being able to smell a vote ten miles away.

I agree with Utah that a gun case or cover would have been a good investment if he were concerned about somebody stealing his AR in his car. Had he cased it and carried it, most of the folks would not have known what it was. Those that did would probably not been alarmed by it.

Location seems to the the point here. If he had done this in a major city on either coast, I am confident that he would be discussing it in detail with the local LEOs. Chicago should also be included in that group. Utah, not so much.

Okay, it's obvious we all have our opinions on this...BUT, remember folks, this is Utah. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of people here in our neck of the woods in Northern Utah carry...some openly...and nobody gives it a second thought. This particular incident happened in Orem, Utah, a large, populated area. Still, not too many people gave it much of a second thought. I think the press is making a bigger deal of it than most of the locals.

FROM THE UTAH SHERIFF'S ASSOCIATION!!!! THIS MEANS WAR

FROM THE UTAH SHERIFF'S ASSOCIATION!!!! THIS MEANS WAR

And if you've studied the history of the Behive State, this will not surprise you. ;)

And if you've studied the history of the Behive State, this will not surprise you. ;)/>

Yep...it's happened before...1857-58.

No magazine in the well, but you can bet that she has two loaded magazines on sling.

THIS GUY? :wacko:/>/> About your eye glass prescription....:blush:/>/> I know who to ask to watch my lounge chair while I take a swim! B)/>/>

OK. "This guy" in the OP. :lol:

Archived