SASS Wire Forum

Open carry statement

Already know how some of you feel about open carry - you know... 'well...just cause it's legal doesn't mean it's right' kinda thing...that's fine ;)/>/>

me, I personally don't have an issue with it...even though I probably wouldn't do it myself.

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=HPBucket

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>/>

Why would anyone want to open carry a unloaded gun.The article stated it was legal to open carry a unloaded gun.Here bad guy take my AR it is unloaded.

Why would anyone want to open carry a unloaded gun.The article stated it was legal to open carry a unloaded gun.Here bad guy take my AR it is unloaded.

Dumb statement from a 22 year old. Does not help the cause at all.

A good percentage of the folks here in Utah carry...at least up here in our neck of the woods. It's just a way of life. BUT...they don't go around flaunting it. That's just inviting bad publicity and cementing even firmer what gun control advocates think of us. Not a real smart move on that guy's part.

Just what we don't need!

+ 1

Now, da thin' I don't git is.....ta open carry da weapon has to be unloaded.

Aint dat like havin' a six shooter cocked ready to shoot when der's nothin' ta shoot wif ?

As in , No Bullets ?

+ 1

Now, da thin' I don't git is.....ta open carry da weapon has to be unloaded.

Aint dat like havin' a six shooter cocked ready to shoot when der's nothin' ta shoot wif ?

As in , No Bullets ?

I hear ya...but...I guess it's better to see AR' s being used in crimes than to be seen in public by a law-abiding citizens.

GG

I hear ya...but...I guess it's better to see AR' s being used in crimes than to be seen in public by a law-abiding citizens.

GG

I agree wif ya GG. Dis do nothin' fer da cause a'tall !

But still......if ya carry , it has ta be unloaded.

Ifin' dat's da case, din way carry open a'tall ?

Wood not a CCW be better ?

IS IT LEGAL OR NOT? If it is then it's his business. We have to quit judging and criticizing law-abiding uses of firearms....PERIOD. Otherwise, we fall right into the trap of being forced to agree that no one NEEDS to walk around with <BLANK> and the next thing you know some well-meaning politcal d**bag has a new law written that also happens to include taking one out of the case/ transporting/ penalties for 'flashing' et. etc. etc.

It's not good enough anymore for the law abiding gun owners to throw anyone under the bus for any reason. You don't agree with what he's doing? Don't do it yourself. Time we all got some backbone around the idea of legal use and the RKBA before we lose it or get prosecuted for it.

Time to take a stand, folks.

My vote goes to the kid. He knew what he was doing and did it for his own reasons. LEGAL? Good enough.....

I agree wif ya GG. Dis do nothin' fer da cause a'tall !

But still......if ya carry , it has ta be unloaded.

Ifin' dat's da case, din way carry open a'tall ?

Wood not a CCW be better ?

IMHO CCW is the better option. The fella here seems to be exercising his right....of course...as mentioned it's not always advisable...depending on your surroundings....at least in this case it wasn't used to gun down people or even in a threatening manner.

GG

IS IT LEGAL OR NOT? If it is then it's his business. We have to quit judging and criticizing law-abiding uses of firearms....PERIOD. Otherwise, we fall right into the trap of being forced to agree that no one NEEDS to walk around with <BLANK> and the next thing you know some well-meaning politcal d**bag has a new law written that also happens to include taking one out of the case/ transporting/ penalties for 'flashing' et. etc. etc.

It's not good enough anymore for the law abiding gun owners to throw anyone under the bus for any reason. You don't agree with what he's doing? Don't do it yourself. Time we all got some backbone around the idea of legal use and the RKBA before we lose it or get prosecuted for it.

My vote goes to the kid. He knew what he was doing and did it for his own reasons. LEGAL? Good enough.....

+1

GG

Sure, the guy was exercising his rights. He was totally within the law. I'm not criticizing him for that or am I throwing him under the proverbial bus. I'm just saying that at a time when anti-gun advocates are just looking for any excuse to demean firearms or personal carry, this may not have been the best way to win them over to our side.

Sure, the guy was exercising his rights. He was totally within the law. I'm not criticizing him for that or am I throwing him under the proverbial bus. I'm just saying that at a time when anti-gun advocates are just looking for any excuse to demean firearms or personal carry, this may not have been the best way to win them over to our side.

I don't have a problem with throwing him under the bus.

Sorta of IN YOUR FACE isn't it.

What did he prove, other than poor judgment, and I have doubts that he swayed any opinion by his action?.

At lease not favorable opinion. In my estimation, more of a FEEL GOOD FEELING FOR GUN OWNERS kinda of thing.

Like I said elsewhere. We have no strong leadership, and we have a lot of bad judgment by advocates.

The opposition also has some folks with bad judgment, but they tend to get dismissed with the admonition of silly person. Gun owners do not get that courtesy. Also, their (anti gun advocates) leadership is in government office.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

I don't have a problem with throwing him under the bus.

I guess not. Just because you may not wish to exercise this right and it's legality shouldn't necessarily mean that you shame others for doing so. Of course...we can simply agree with it or not for whatever reasons we hold to.

GG

Now that's a fair argument... at least in respects to his rights in this regard.

GG

There is a good, logical reason the exercise the right to open-carry an unloaded firearm.

It is good political propaganda FOR gun rights.

That's how gun-banners produced the situation we are in today .. propaganda, coupled with a healthy dose of outright lies and misdirection.

The problem with such unloaded, open carry is that most who do it are NOT the ones to be doing it. They are generally incapable of intelligently explaining why they it is important to exercise their rights to do so under the law, including the role that firearms has played in the very existance and the development of the US into a great "free(?)" country AND what it means to exercise the right to carry even an empty weapon. Probably 99% of them can't intelligently, concisely explain this. I do believe that anyone who does open-carry an unloaded firearm should also carry a viable weapon, such as pepper spray and/or a folding knife to protect themselves and the weapon. The unloaded-open-carry laws make these people a target, that's for sure.

Probably all of us who think unloaded open-carry is akin to strapping a boat-anchor to our butts are the very ones that should be doing it.

I guess not. Just because you may not wish to exercise this right and it's legality shouldn't necessarily mean that you shame others for doing so. Of course...we can simply agree with it or not for whatever reasons we hold to.

GG

His acts reflect on gun owners. Given the current public nervousness, I say that walking aroud with an ar just because it's legal is an immature act that will serve no purpose whatsoever. Just foolish.

On that logic Rosa Parks should have stayed in the back of the bus. Harvey Milk should never have organized ths Castro in San Fran. Women should have stayed home in the kitchen and waited for their husbands to tell them what their opinion is.

That guy is unreasonable like others before him the progress of all movements depends on the unreasonable man or woman. Those afraid to get in their face about it are the reason we're always playing defense.....and losing.

On that logic Rosa Parks should have stayed in the back of the bus. Harvey Milk should never have organized ths Castro in San Fran. Women should have stayed home in the kitchen and waited for their husbands to tell them what their opinion is.

That guy is unreasonable like others before him the progress of all movements depends on the unreasonable man or woman. Those afraid to get in their face about it are the reason we're always playing defense.....and losing.

I'm not exactly sure who's face this young man got in. Or what good it did.

Rosa Parks he ain't.

His acts reflect on gun owners. Given the current public nervousness, I say that walking aroud with an ar just because it's legal is an immature act that will serve no purpose whatsoever. Just foolish.

Sounds good Bob...I see it different.

GG

When I was a much younger man, I worked in downtown San Francisco. It was the late '70's and early '80's. I went to listen to the gay activist, Havey Milk deliver a raging speech for gay rights out of curiosity for the movement that had taken the entire city by storm. A well dressed, obviously gay couple were having a rather loud disagreement about whether the out of the closet, in your face, here and proud approach would set gay rights back 100 years or force it into the main stream of America.

Years later on business there a gay rights parade was going on and my cab driver was upset about them closing the streets and 'flaunting' their 'gay-ness' with a pretty raunchy parade.

Fast forward almost 2 decades and what have we now? Gays are out of the closet and gun owners, hunters, warriors are now worried about whether coming out, here and proud will turn back the progress made by? Oh that's right.... we're now terrified after Heller V DC of letting law abiding Americans legally demonstrate the RKBA. We let politicians bully us into hand-wringing angst about 'reasonable restrictions'.

Americans are storming the gun shows. the SHOT show and buying up 10 years of AR production. One ammo manufacturer sold out of 2 years production in 2 days. This is good news.

"There is something about the human psyche that causes men to quit just as they are closest to acheiving their goal." Ross Perot.

Take careful aim my friends.

Was a time, not all that long ago, when people didn't throw a hissy fit if they saw someone with a firearm. We have allowed the press and politicians to demonize us and our firearms. To the point where we are afraid or ashamed to admit we are gun owners.

I find little correlation in the courageous actions of Milk, Parks, et al and this guy who for some reason felt a need to walk into a store with an AR strapped on just because he could.

There's a difference in being merely offended by someone's actions, i.e. refusing to give up your bus seat or demanding equal rights, and being frightened by the appearance of a man with a firearm in a similar place where recently, heinous murders have been committed. Did he wear a sign ststeing he was protesting the potential destructrion of the second amendment? Did he engage anyone in conversation in an attempt to inform and educate?

I don't think that's the way to endear the public to our point of view. And it's the public we must convince; the majority of Americans who do not own guns and who will pressure their representatives one way or the other.

No, in my opinion it was just a silly thing to do.

If there are any local TV or newspaper interviews with this guy I'd really like to see them. maybe he's more articulate and thoughtful than I think.

Not too long ago, Obama was in the Phoenix area for some event. A well dressed guy just outside of the Secret Service Perimeter had a loaded AR slung over his back and was just hanging out with the crowd. He got lots of press coverage and made the evening news and cable channels. And he was totally legal.

Now I have mixed feelings about this 22 year old kid. One part of me says if it's legal, go ahead and do it. However, the other part of me says there's a time and place for everything. Right now toting an AR-15 into J.C. Penney or some other public place just creates tension and controversy. Some folks may be giving this guy a lot of atta boy slaps on the back and thumbs up signs, while mothers are herding their little kids out the side door in fear.

Now if this happended in some small town here in New Mexico, no one would worry about it. I didn't note where this took place, but it didn't seem like anyone was having heart attacks or shrieking in fear as they ran away. Other than the online points of view, what was the response for folks in person?

Not too long ago, Obama was in the Phoenix area for some event. A well dressed guy just outside of the Secret Service Perimeter had a loaded AR slung over his back and was just hanging out with the crowd. He got lots of press coverage and made the evening news and cable channels. And he was totally legal.

Now I have mixed feelings about this 22 year old kid. One part of me says if it's legal, go ahead and do it. However, the other part of me says there's a time and place for everything. Right now toting an AR-15 into J.C. Penney or some other public place just creates tension and controversy. Some folks may be giving this guy a lot of atta boy slaps on the back and thumbs up signs, while mothers are herding their little kids out the side door in fear.

Now if this happended in some small town here in New Mexico, no one would worry about it. I didn't note where this took place, but it didn't seem like anyone was having heart attacks or shrieking in fear as they ran away. Other than the online points of view, what was the response for folks in person?

It was in a JC Penney store.

Most remember the guy at the rally. The Secret Service talked to him. The time and place for his protest was perhaps more appropriate, and there were no recent incidents fresh in the public's mind. Like many things in life, sometimes it's all in the timing.

We have met the enemy, and it is us.

That's what you get when you have 80 million + gunowners, owning 270 million + firearms. Everyone has an opinion and everyone has a solution. The one common thread that connects all of us is our inherent right to firearms, and a stiff backbone of resistance to anyone wanting to relieve us of those firearms.

It was in a JC Penney store.

Most remember the guy at the rally. The Secret Service talked to him. The time and place for his protest was perhaps more appropriate, and there were no recent incidents fresh in the public's mind. Like many things in life, sometimes it's all in the timing.

On the other hand, he was an honest citizen, quietly going about his normal business. He wasn't ranting. He wasn't waving his firearms around. Just calmly making his purchases. Should be totally unremarkable. Maybe, if more gun owners "sit in the front of the bus," just maybe, we will again be seen as the unthreatening, peaceable citizens that we are.

Archived