SASS Wire Forum

TARGET SIZE

Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804

There is a rumor going around up here about new minimum target size for State level and above matches. I only find recommended sizes in the books. Anybody have any factual info on this? Thanks- jimmyreb

Some people seem to think that the recommended is the absolute.

That may be but a lot of shooters do notice target size and do not frequent clubs that use smaller targets, especially if there is an alternate club close by.

Shrinking target size and increasing target distance is a good way to decrease the size of your match. The Seige at St. Augustine had size and distance nailed and drew more than 300 shooters. Besides no target is so large or close that it can't be missed.

Shrinking target size and increasing target distance is a good way to decrease the size of your match. The Seige at St. Augustine had size and distance nailed and drew more than 300 shooters. Besides no target is so large or close that it can't be missed.

Agreed.

Randy

That may be but a lot of shooters do notice target size and do not frequent clubs that use smaller targets, especially if there is an alternate club close by.

no doubt

but

when every stage (in a match) is a sub 20 second stage for the top shooters

due to target size and distance

that can git boring

that can chase away a potential new shooter

watching CAS for the first time

folks watching for the first time

just might think

whats the point

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

side of a barn :mellow:/>

Barn's 'bout the right size... if yore real, real near-sighted.

I prefer... Mt. Kilimanjaro size.

ts

I am with you on that. I will not go to small and far away target clubs.

I totally agree.

I am with you on that. I will not go to small and far away target clubs.

wow

every time target size comes up

some think

that small and far is being heavly promoted

not the case

the average shooter wants variation

golly cheese wiz

wow

some think

not the case

golly cheese wiz

You keep saying this Mike but provide no data to support your choice of variation, presumably meaning some small and far away at most or all shoots. Many on the other hand do not want to ever see small and far away. SASS recommended size and sometimes longer distances up to SASS recommended maximums would be OK for one stage or so per match, but no more.

no doubt

but

when every stage (in a match) is a sub 20 second stage for the top shooters

due to target size and distance

that can git boring

that can chase away a potential new shooter

watching CAS for the first time

folks watching for the first time

just might think

whats the point

I think that scenario is more unlikely than say, a new shooter sees the fast guys and gals rippin it up and wants to join in the fun.

SASS recommended size and sometimes longer distances up to SASS recommended maximums would be OK for one stage or so per match, but no more.

wow

we just agreed on something

our local clubs do less than sass min (distance) on 99%

thats boring

I think that scenario is more unlikely than say, a new shooter sees the fast guys and gals rippin it up and wants to join in the fun.

the average guy is old, and usually on the heavy side

he goes home and trys to dry fire one pistol

it takes him more than 20 seconds

the guys he just watched on the range

just did four guns and 24 shots in that time

they never return

I have seen it

cuz I talk to them old guys watching

wow

some think

not the case

golly cheese wiz

I don't think small and far is being heavily promoted. I do know that the clubs in Alabama that are shooting small and far on all of their stages are having a hard time getting more than 15 shooters to attend.

I do like variation in target distance and spacing.

All I am saying is that I don't like small and far on evey stage and that I won't shoot at those clubs who shoot it that way.

the average guy is old, and usually on the heavy side

he goes home and trys to dry fire one pistol

it takes him more than 20 seconds

the guys he just watched on the range

just did four guns and 24 shots in that time

they never return

I have seen it

cuz I talk to them old guys watching

That is why we shooters need to do a good job of selling our sport to potential new shooters. One of the things I like about our sport is the chance to shoot alongside the young hotshots while still competing with people my age. The fact that we have a mix of age, gender, and skill level is a virtue of this game.

Well.. that sort of person had better not go to try ANY sport... The same thing is going to happen.

Just WHERE in life can anyone new to an activity expect to "run with" the top participants?

Hell... It took me a couple of years to break into the Top 100 at EOT..which was my first major goal in the sport...

Expecting anything different is completely unrealistic.

To answer the initial question I saw nothing in the state match contract about this so I think someone maybe misinformed. I leave worrying about top shooters and targets indimidating new/potential shooters up to hand wringers and folks who claim the sky is falling. If we don't attract someone who thinks that they can come in and run with the best in the sport right from the get go frankly we don't need that type of ego in the sport. We already have our fill of undeserved egos. What we want is quality not quantity when it comes to new shooters. Locally we have gotten a very nice influx of quality. Folks that get excited about the game,join a club, buy equipment from local craftsman,and most importantly start supporting the sport by attending as many matches as possible. The recent Siege at St. Augustine proved once again that if your stages are right and feeding what the current crowd wants then you will have success. I seen lots of folks come and go in 11 years. The same folks that found negativity in everything if by some miracle are still in the game still find negativity in everything. Thats human nature and to some a way of life. Have seen a few folks over the years that want to blame targets and stage design on their lost of interest in the sport. I truely believe that those folks are missing the point of what this game is all about and what will keep it around for years to come,which is also a subject for another thread.

There is a rumor going around up here about new minimum target size for State level and above matches. I only find recommended sizes in the books. Anybody have any factual info on this? Thanks- jimmyreb

I hear they're banning white painted targets also. :P

I shot Josey Wales at the last match I went to; shooting at the shotgun targets, which were 1/2 sized or smaller than the rifle/pistol targets, was tough, but an interesting change. I liked having to spend more time to focus and aim, and shooting at smaller targets that weren't just the bonuses. Variety is the spice of life.

Well, I have no scientific data or survey to show for my thoughts but here's my .02

if some of these 'newer' shooters show up and get intimidated by the fast shooters shooting these sub 20 stages and then never come back. then I would say that Mr/Ms new shooter just threw away a few thousand bucks on guns and probably has nothing better to do than blame their ineptness of success on something they know nothing about.

Think about it: a new shooter shows up, gets whooped, and complains it was all because the targets were too big and too close. How does a NEW SHOOTER know anything about Big and Close vs. Far and Small.

To me, the NEW SHOOTER is shooting at the range that first attracted their interest in this game/sport. They drifted by one day to watch a local match and the 'WOW' factor started tingling up their spine, into their cranial cavity and back down to their checkbook/credit card. To assume that when they shoot their first few matches is disappointing because the targets are big and close AND others are shooting TOOOO FAST is hard for me to understand. Ain't sayin that it couldn't happen but I just find it hard to believe that the things that attracted those new shooters to spend a few thousand bucks is now the excuse they use to quit shooting.....I just don't get it.

Then again, there are alot of things in life I don't understand.

..........Widder

My query is about a new "required" min size. Our clubs goal is to replace targets with bigger and better as we can. However a larger minimum size requirement would force us to buy a bunch of targets al at once, which we cannot really afford to do.

My query is about a new "required" min size. Our clubs goal is to replace targets with bigger and better as we can. However a larger minimum size requirement would force us to buy a bunch of targets al at once, which we cannot really afford to do.

there is no new required size

Having just completed my first year in SASS; all I can say is that the targets at PVR (the only club I've shot at so far) look to be the suggested size and distances that are recommended in the SASS handbook. However...when that buzzer sounds...they all seem to magically shrink down to postage stamp size and at about 200 yds away!! I just wanted to add a lil humor to this thread).

Serious part coming up: I'm only competing with and against myself. My wife and I watched our first SASS match in Dec '11 and we were amazed and entertained by how fast folks were. And even after competing...I'm still amazed and entertained by fast shooters and fast times. Do those 20's and below times intimidate me?....no. Will I ever reach those times....probably not. Oh sure...I do watch critically how those folks do things from a technique point of view...but not outta envy or ego...just wanna try to learn to get a lil better. My lil goal for this upcoming season...take what I see and what other pards suggest to me...and parlay all of that into shooting at least one clean match this coming season.

PVR's first match is in March; so far away...so far away.

V/R,

Brig

I have become a proponent of big and close but I like to see height and distance between variation in my target set ups.

All in a row, all same size, all same height, all same distance apart? Not for me.

Even at my speed that becomes boring.

The sky is not falling due to target size

The sky is not falling due to primers

The sky is not falling due to the new attack upon our second amendment

What we have for the most part is: grownups discussing all of the above

When you add them all up, some may say it’s too much negativity

The most controversy one right now, seems to be the second amendment

Some say “that will never pass” and expect that we won (frontal assault)

To folks that think that way, may I suggest looking into the idea of

Flanking maneuvers, that are happening 24 / 7, even between school shootings

Flanking maneuver

In military tactics, a flanking maneuver, also called a flank attack, is an attack on the sides of an opposing force. If a flanking maneuver succeeds, the opposing force would be surrounded from two or more directions, which significantly reduces the maneuverability of the outflanked force and its ...

It takes the fire in the belly short term response for thousands to contact their representatives

It takes compassion for the constitution “as written” to rally the folks to join the NRA, GOA and others

The current admin just passed 23 executive actions today, had we NOT had the fire in the belly talks on the wire and within our personal emails, it could have and certainly would have been worse

The sky is not falling, its just a tadd bit cloudy and cold right now

sassmaddmike@yahoo.com

Archived