SASS Wire Forum

bad news about federal small primers.

evil dogooder

Howdy,

We have the same problem in finding Winchester small pistol around here right now. Can you substitute Winchester small pistol magnums and reduce 10%?? Anyone ever done that. Come on !!!I have never used small rifle primers in sass loads. I prefer Fiocchi small pistol primers but haven't been able to find them for 6 months.

Rev

I just loaded a bunch with mag primers last week and before I lumped them with my regular primers I tested them for accuracy differences, they are the same for SASS distances, could not tell any difference in recoil either, I haven't chronographed them yet but for all practical purposes they seem interchangeable. I hadn't been able to get Fed regular for months, but the mags were available. Placed my order just in time.

Doc

Nice collection J Bar.I'm sitting on just under 35,000 small pistol at the moment.Going to Big R tomorrow and see if they have any left.

Just curious how many you use per year? We shooters need to be careful not to exacerbate the problem. I know of people buying 20,000 primers last crisis who shoot a thousand per year.

Just curious how many you use per year? We shooters need to be careful not to exacerbate the problem. I know of people buying 20,000 primers last crisis who shoot a thousand per year.

Smart folks....

GG

I've used sm. rifle in pistol loads with no issues.

LG

I was wondering about this. I have a bunch of SR benchrest primers and I don't load for that Rifle anymore. Don't want to use them in my semi-auto Rifle loads, but if I can use them as SP primers, I'm good for awhile. I have plenty of CCI#41s for my S/A Rifle loads.

I stopped in at one of the local toy stores today and picked up another 1000 large pistol primers. No standard small rifle in stock anywhere, but there are a handful of SR match primers left.

On average about 3000 a year.If I take several road trips,closer to 4000-4500.But I remember when the big O got elected the 1st time,it was near impossible to find primers.So when I did I started stocking up.Now with him and the village idiot Biden pushing more and more laws,I'm not taking any chances.

I found a little hole-in-the-wall that has Federal small rifle primers in stock... but limited to 500 per day per customer... I went in yesterday and today both. :)

Supplies are dwindling as everybody scarfs up primers... creating a shortage. But they are out there... shopped around online, took some looking but found 5,000. They're mine!

McC

If you have your revolvers set up so light that only Federal primers will ignite reliably, do not use Federal Small Rifle Primers as they are much harder to contain pressures in excess of 60,000 PSI.

My solution woild be to get a slightly heavier main spring and use anything els.

There is a common misconception based on myth that CCI are rock hard. They were in the past. My experience with CCI and Federal is that since they were brought under control of ATK, the Federals have gotten slightly harder and the CCI's have gotten much softer. They are almost even now by my comparisons. Close enough that I would use them interchangeably..... And do....

Just picked up 5,000 more primers.

Federal Gold Match for $35 per 1,000 (gold match was all he had)

There was at least another 20-25K still there for the taking.

Got those.

3 boxes of 9mm

and a few boxs of .380

Sgt Smokepole is exactly right while Fed small rifle and pistol are the same physical size the rifle is MUCH harder as he stated due to pressure ...but ALSO because small rifle are used in AR type rifles with a free float pin. Those who own an AR might know their firing pin as the bolt slams home on a new round 'dimples" the primer each and every time.

Small RIFLE AND SMALL PISTOL ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE! If you have light hammer pressure, you'll never set off a rilfe primer with any reliability.

Boys I use Federals most of the time however I found Wolf small pistol primers as dependable and as sensitive and $8.00 to $15.00 cheaper.

Boys I use Federals most of the time however I found Wolf small pistol primers as dependable and as sensitive and $8.00 to $15.00 cheaper.

The problem I have with Wolf is that the primer punch on my dillon 550 sometimes punches out the center of the primer and leaves the outer ring stuck inside the pocket, only happens with wolf primers......Doc

Federal magnum small pistol and rifle are the same. If you find either one, you've found the other...

Dang now ya tell me I'll have to go see if i can find any

I usually use Winchester primers but I have never had a problem with any primer in my guns. But then again, I make sure that all of my guns have mainsprings capable of setting off all primers. In my opinion, if your mainsprings will only set off soft federal primers, you have a gun problem, not a primer problem.

Lately, I have not been able to buy Winchesters but I have had no problem buying Federal primers here.

SSHHHHHHhH........

He is wrong, wolf primers never ever work! They are made by democrats and liberals and commies....they cause cancer, errectile disfunction and whooping cough....dont buy them.....oh and if ya have some of those horrible buggers, i will dispose of them in a safe manner for you. :0

OO

FFL salesmen are usually no smarter than car salesmen. Take what they say with a grain of salt.

Car salesmen make more money and aren't under attack by the Feds.

Where do you order them from?

Sgt Smokepole is exactly right while Fed small rifle and pistol are the same physical size the rifle is MUCH harder as he stated due to pressure ...but ALSO because small rifle are used in AR type rifles with a free float pin. Those who own an AR might know their firing pin as the bolt slams home on a new round 'dimples" the primer each and every time.

Small RIFLE AND SMALL PISTOL ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE! If you have light hammer pressure, you'll never set off a rilfe primer with any reliability.

Anyone loading for an AR and not using Mil-Spec primers is taking a chance on having a slam fire. Primers designed for AR are harder than regular small rifle primers.

Archived