SASS Wire Forum

bad news about federal small primers.

evil dogooder

Just came home from the ffl. I went in to order some primers. Well this was told to me . Federal will not be selling small primers this year. Confirmed by the staff, and there federal dealer.

So I've only been reloading a few months. What's three next best primer?

Just came home from the ffl. I went in to order some primers. Well this was told to me . Federal will not be selling small primers this year. Confirmed by the staff, and there federal dealer.

I use Winchester.

?? wonder why...

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

Winchester primers are usually high quality, and the next softest in commonly-available primers.

If your guns are set up for Federal primers only, then the best choice might be to buy Federal magnum small pistol primers.

Lacking that, and not wanting to pay the extra premium for match small pistol from Federal, I would make sure my hammers were properly tuned and shoot Winchester without much worry.

Good luck, GJ

A spark is a spark - I don't see a whit of difference at CAS distances.

THe spark isn't the problem. Primer cup hardness is. With the reduced hammer strike energy associated with the low power springs we all use to lower trigger pull energy, lots of primers with harder cup material will not respond to the light hammer strikes. Federals having about the softest primer cup metal of any primer, respond well to the reduced power hammer strikes.

Some of the other brands do pretty well, while others fail quite often. The only way to cure that peoblem would be to go back to the heavier hammer springs, which would also increase trigger pull effort. Not a desirable thing.

RBK

So...let me see if I have this right. If your SASS guns are set up for Federal small pistol primers and working well using those you can use Federal small rifle primers interchangeably? Reason I ask is that Federal small rifle primers can be had in a few places but Federal small pistol are pretty scarce.

Kajun

So...let me see if I have this right. If your SASS guns are set up for Federal small pistol primers and working well using those you can use Federal small rifle primers interchangeably? Reason I ask is that Federal small rifle primers can be had in a few places but Federal small pistol are pretty scarce.

Kajun

I have never had and issue. YMMV!

LG

Whew! Scared the tar outta me there for a sec. (Federal is the ONLY primer I trust) :FlagAm:/>

+1 there is certainly a difference

Evil, If yer really hurtin for primers I can bring 1,000 FC small pistol to the next GCG

match. and when they become avail. replace them.

Leadspittin Lefty

I use a lot of Winchester primers for pistol and rifle. I even use them in shotgun at times. I am now trying miller primers in the shotgun. All I need to do is try them on the range

I've primed myself with Miller before, but I've never tried it in shotshells.

FFL salesmen are usually no smarter than car salesmen. Take what they say with a grain of salt.

If I wuz a car salesman I might think of expending a small primer on you. Hope you aren't car shopping or dealing with an FFL salesman. :) :) :) :) :) :)

That's called teasing where I come from pardner!

Wish they were mine......... :o

Happy trails

QDG :D

Lets not forget another main difference between Federal primers and some of the others. If you read from the book "Modern Reloading by Richard Lee" page 66# you will find that the priming compound is made up of one compound or the other, "Normal compound" or "Basic compound" and both Winchester & CCI use Normal compound and Federal uses Basic. The difference according to the book is that Normal compound explodes progressively and Basic compound explodes violently. IMO this makes Federal more sensitive than Win or CCI, which is probably why federals are packaged the way they are, sideways in oversize containers. FWIW, I wouldn't know about Remington primers as to what type of compound is used. WBR

Howdy,

We have the same problem in finding Winchester small pistol around here right now. Can you substitute Winchester small pistol magnums and reduce 10%?? Anyone ever done that. Come on !!!I have never used small rifle primers in sass loads. I prefer Fiocchi small pistol primers but haven't been able to find them for 6 months.

Rev

Howdy,

We have the same problem in finding Winchester small pistol around here right now. Can you substitute Winchester small pistol magnums and reduce 10%?? Anyone ever done that. Come on !!!I have never used small rifle primers in sass loads. I prefer Fiocchi small pistol primers but haven't been able to find them for 6 months.

Rev

I don't really want to get flamed here , but GENERALLY SPEAKING , at the load levels that a large majority of CAS shooters reload , most will not be affected by switching between regular and magnum primers. Some loads will actually be a bit cleaner with the mag primer.

Doesn't help to overthink some stuff. My opinion , YMMV. Rex :D

Rex,

Thank you for speaking up so quick.

Rev

I have been using Remington primers for the last 500 rounds or so and they work well. I use anything I can get my hands on at a good deal. I have about 5000 right now mixed, Federals, Winchesters and Remingtons.

Rye B)

Nice collection J Bar.I'm sitting on just under 35,000 small pistol at the moment.Going to Big R tomorrow and see if they have any left.

Prairie Dog & I bought a crapload of Federal small pistol primers last spring because Capitol Sports had 'em on sale for some reason.

Howdy,

Rev

You will never see any diff. in SASS/CAS level loads.

I have done this many times when the 'mags' were all I could find.

Just as I have used small rifle for the same reason.

LG

Archived