SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell primer question

Chisler Wood

I've been using Winchester 209's and clays powder for my aa"featherlight" load. I know we can't give load info. But you know the load. Anyhow. All I could get my hands on were federal 209a's. am I going to be alright using these with my light load?

Cw

I absolutely agree. In fact I won't use ANYTHING but the Federal 209A's in those very reduced Cowboy loads. You need that hot primer to get a better burn of the powder on those very low pressure loads.

If you were to do some chrono testing with them, you would find that they would produce far more consistant velocities than any other standard primer. They simply provide far better consistancy in reduced,low pressure and velocity loads.

RBK

Put simply - a "primer is a primer". :rolleyes:

Trap and skeet shooters that use 10,000 - 100,000 per

year - use what ever is "on sale".

Fed, Win, Cheddite - whatever - all go "boom".

Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

- BB

Read any shotshell loading manual, and you will find WHY a "primer is NOT just another shotshell primer".

Shotshells, unlike brass cartridges, are very sensitive to primer differences for the pressure they produce. Shotgun barrels are very thin compared even to pistol barrels, and pressures matter.

Federal 209A primers are noted to almost always increase pressures over Winchester and CCI primers in shotshell loads where everything else is exactly the same.

Now, the practical part, which is what LG and RBK are depending on, with MOST of our SASS shotshells, folks are loading to low pressures (7 to 10,000 CUP). There is room on those loads to substitute the hot Fed 209A primer for almost all the other brands of primers.

IF we were loading to maximum pressures limits, as SOME trap loads are loaded, then the primer swap could cause problems.

IF you read any good shotshell loading manual, it STRONGLY recommends not substituting any components in any load that they publish.

Now you know why, and you also know that a primer is not a primer under the most dangerous of situations. And for most SASS loads, you can fairly safely ignore the warnings, too, as long as you use some common sense in when you substitute a shotshell primer.

From a guy who has seen a couple of shotguns fly into many small and sharp pieces next to me on the trap line, and would prefer that not happen on the CAS bay, too.

Good luck, GJ

Archived