SASS Wire Forum

Why are the Icons adding "/>"

Marauder SASS #13056

Call it a WAG, but I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that many are using browsers other than Internet Explorer. I use Chrome and I can't select the emoticons by clicking on them. Instead, I have to type the characters that create them. If I edit a post, in order to keep the emoticons showing, I have to delete them and re-type them or else they show as html code. I'll demonstrate.

:) - created using :, then ).

smile.gif - after an edit.

Call it a WAG, but I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that many are using browsers other than Internet Explorer. I use Chrome and I can't select the emoticons by clicking on them. Instead, I have to type the characters that create them. If I edit a post, in order to keep the emoticons showing, I have to delete them and re-type them or else they show as html code. I'll demonstrate.

:)/> - created using :, then ).

I've been using Firefox for years and these additional symbols just started recently. You can type them yourself but that's so much work and I'm pretty lazy. :)

I think it may be the Government doing it!!

Or aliens.:D

Nope, I'm using I.E. I started noticing it a coupla weeks ago.

smile.gif - created using :, then ).

thanks,

YOu just answered my concern about why the smiley faces don't show up on my post. I use Chrome.

thanks,

YOu just answered my concern about why the smiley faces don't show up on my post. I use Chrome.

Hey pard,

Over to the right where the emoticons are shown, click on "Show All" and it'll show you the characters you need to type for each of them.

Recently I noticed that almost everyone's added icons have /> following the icon.

Why is that, I wonder :wacko:/>/>:blink:/>/>

huh.gif

It might be the version of the board software. SASS is on version 3.1.4 and I see the compatibility icon when visiting this site (using IE9). Brian Enos forums uses the same software in version 3.3.4 and the compatibility icon does not display.

So, if you are using IE and see an icon that looks like a torn page in the URL address box (that is the one that has http://sassnet.com/forums) click on the compatibility icon before you start posting.

Might help... might not :blush:/>

Olen

unsure.gif

Hey pard,

Over to the right where the emoticons are shown, click on "Show All" and it'll show you the characters you need to type for each of them.

I'll do that!!!! Next time I get on my hi-horse and go on a rant!!!!! for no particular reason!!!.... other than perhaps, it is a full moon, and the devil made me do it!!! LOL

Thanks again,

Blastmaster

My guess is that during some web site maintenance, the programmer did something to create this bug.

To fix it will probably require a programmer for 50-100 hours at ~$300/per hour, unless the economy has brought down the price of programming or unless they were using a mediocre programmer (inexpensive) to start with. After doing his thing, he should have caught this while debugging his work.

I'm thinking they'll consider this a P3 bug and do nothing until some other programming issue arises and they'll get it fixed or at least look at it then.

'Course, I could be wrong, but since it's not fixed yet, I'm thinking I'm kinda sorta maybe a little bit right. Everything else works, so they may downgrade it to a P4, which means it's gonna be here from now on.

I HAVE NOTICED THOUGH .... :) ..... THAT if you do not edit or review your work, you don't get those symbols after the emoticons. ALSO, if someone quotes your reply or your topic post, the symbols will appear after the emoticon. If you just can't live with them, go in and delete the weird symbols before you submit your work (topic post or reply).

I haven't looked at it too much. It's just not that important.

Archived