SASS Wire Forum

Flu Shot

Never had one in my life! I'm 71 and havn't had the flu in over 30 years. Only get a cold about every 3 years or so....guess I'm just lucky :rolleyes:

Never had one in my life! I'm 71 and havn't had the flu in over 30 years. Only get a cold about every 3 years or so....guess I'm just lucky :rolleyes:/>

Cool - hope I get that lucky too :)/>

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

Gunner, you're not really in the at risk group. I asked the if I should get one and he said at my age and health it wasn't critical. He said, "If you catch it, you'll get sick, then you'll get better. That's about it."

Young kids and geezers should definitely get one. Probably good to get one if you have kids at home.

Gunner, you're not really in the at risk group. I asked the if I should get one and he said at my age and health it wasn't critical. He said, "If you catch it, you'll get sick, then you'll get better. That's about it."

Young kids and geezers should definitely get one. Probably good to get one if you have kids at home.

Bob, isn't that the new "Obama Health Care"? If you're past a certain age they just let you die. Ha, ha, hope not; I just got mine today.

I have a 7 th grader at home.

GG

I have a 7 th grader at home.

GG

There ya go.

I would never get a flu shot, don't you know that's when they put in the tracking device and all that other spy stuff!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Folks,

I've had a two flu shots without adverse effects and our doctor recommends that I have them. Our doctor advised Hubby against having them due to his many health issues.

I will get them every year now, so that I am less likely to catch and give the flu to Hubby.

Regards,

Allie Mo

One year a while back I was working in a department with just 5 of us women. Three of the ladies all got flu shots, and one of them badgered and bullied me and the other lady who didn't get one to do it too. We kept saying no, but she wouldn't quit bugging us...until she and the other two ladies that did get the shots all came down with...the FLU!! :lol: I had one mild cold that winter, and the other lady that didn't get a shot didn't get sick at all. I think I'll pass....

Mary,

I'm with ya. Years ago in the Navy I got the shots three years in a row from the Navy Doc and three years in a row got the flu within 6 days. Not supposed to be possible, but the Navy never required me to get another one, and I still do not.

Only get the flu about one every 5-6 years and I'm on airliners in and out of the country 30+ weeks per year. BTW the early flu season virus running around the country this year was not one of the strains in this years' shot.

However, I have permanent lung damage from a disease in the mid-80s and would get walking pneumonia once or twice a year, every year for the last 18 or so. I got the pneumonia shot a year and a half ago and have not had a bad URI or pneumonia since! Also got the shingles shot. Highly recommend both for us over 60 types - wish I'd done it sooner!

All anecdotal evidence, but it works for me :P

Harvey

Actually heard that the flu shot being given this year is a good match to the strain going around right now.

It was my first flu shot. No big deal...so figured why not.

GG

Just heard on the boob tube news.........a 14 year old girl just died here from the flu.

Bein' a old geezer, I got mine....how bout yurn ?

Well, I'm not as old as Hawk, but I have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP, any respiratory bug can really mess me up, so yep, I got the shot.

Hey Gunner, get used to the needles, the older you get you'll see more of them, seems like they're always wanting my blood for one thing or another, and it always takes them half a dozen times to find a vein...

Well, I'm not as old as Hawk, but I have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP, any respiratory bug can really mess me up, so yep, I got the shot.

Hey Gunner, get used to the needles, the older you get you'll see more of them, seems like they're always wanting my blood for one thing or another, and it always takes them half a dozen times to find a vein...

Had ta go to da horsepital an git 3 "units" of blood.

Da dis day, I tank der tryin'in to git it back an dim some !

Actually heard that the flu shot being given this year is a good match to the strain going around right now.It was my first flu shot. No big deal...so figured why not.

GG

That's the point, right there. A flu shot doesn't just cover "the flu". "They" take a WAG at which strain is going to be the most prevalent in any given year and that's the vaccine they innoculate with that year. If it turns out, and it often does, that a different strain is virulent that year, well the zillions of flu shots they gave don't really help, or so I have read and have been advised by MD's.

But get the shot anyway ... what the heck. It won't be until 2014 that under obimbo, anyone over 60's "flu shot" will contain the plague, anyway. :o

That's the point, right there. A flu shot doesn't just cover "the flu". "They" take a WAG at which strain is going to be the most prevalent in any given year and that's the vaccine they innoculate with that year. If it turns out, and it often does, that a different strain is virulent that year, well the zillions of flu shots they gave don't really help, or so I have read and have been advised by MD's.

But get the shot anyway ... what the heck. It won't be until 2014 that under obimbo, anyone over 60's "flu shot" will contain the plague, anyway. :o/>

And the Zombie plague starts.;)

How old do ya have to be to be a geezer? Then again, I am a young kid at heart so maybe I should get one.

How old do ya have to be to be a geezer? Then again, I am a young kid at heart so maybe I should get one.

Hi Marshal,

AARP must think it's 50, because I think they start mailing stuff to you at that age.

I was able to retire and start collecting a percent of my pension at 55.

My HMO allows you to have the shingles shot free if you are over 60.

The SSA lets you collect at 62; but, the collecting the full amount depends on your year of birth.

With all of those varying ages, I think you're a geezer when you think you're a geezer.

Regards,

Allie

Geezer is as geezer does.;)

Drudge Report is linking a story that says the flu epidemic that is currently sweeping the US is not included in the current flu shot.

Drudge Report is linking a story that says the flu epidemic that is currently sweeping the US is not included in the current flu shot.

Heard different - but regardless....there are many types of flu - this should help stop one of 'em ;)/>/>

a couple sources:

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Flu-Vaccine-Good-Match-to-Influenza-Strains-Circulating-181293821.html

http://whnt.com/2012/12/04/flu-vaccine-matches-well-with-flu-strains-seen-so-far-this-season/

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2012/nov/30/officials-flu-vaccine-a-good-match/

http://host.madison.com/news/local/ask/dr-gerhart/dr-jacqueline-gerhart-how-good-is-the-flu-vaccine-this/article_3d7a589a-3811-11e2-9fcf-0019bb2963f4.html

general flu vaccine info:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2012-2013.htm

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>/>

I know a lot of people who have well thought out and researched reasons not to get a flu shot, and I respect their right to make that choice for themselves.

I know alot of people too Grizz on both sides of the coin - I don't think anyone here disrespects those that decide to get it or not.

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>/>/>

There's lots of misconceptions about the "flu" shot. Couple years ago an infectious disease doc was on a radio show, and was telling how the vaccine is not formulated for the little "bugs" we commonly call the flu, it's for full blown influenza strains that kill people. My paternal grandfather died in the epidemic during WW I.

Personally I don't bother. I don't see how they can predict the antigen pattern of the offending virus 6 months to a year in advance when they're formulating the vaccine. Cold and flu viruses change their antigen pattern (what triggers your immune response) like we change socks. I haven't had one for close to 40 years. Of course, it won't hurt anything, might cut the odds down a mite. Around here they're seeing quite of few cases in folks that were vaccinated.

If I were in a high risk category where it might kill me it might be different.

JHC RPh

My wife was an elementary school teacher. A case of flu for everyone in the house was a given each year. When the flu vaccine became available we were near the front of the line. Have taken one every year since with no flu. Haven't even had a bad cold in years.

We are believers.

The government does not use the flu shot to implant the markers. The needle is too small.

I had a lung operation oct dr give me the geezer dose stronger than regular flu shot no side effects. get the shingle shot I had the shingles and lady at church has them now it's no picnic.

Hey Galloway

Yeah I had the shingles too. Worst thing ever!!

I got the flu shot back in October. Most of the guys in the office were out with the flu 3-5 days during December. I didn't get it so I guess it worked. I do remember that the injection site was sore for a day or two. I was beginning to think they left the needle in there.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Hmmm, my doctor recommended I get one. So, does that mean I'm a geezer? :unsure:/>/> :(/>/> :P/>/> ;)/>/>

If so... pertiest geezer I ever saw...

Whoh!

When I pass on... want to go to yore geezer heavan.

ts

Three folks have been out sick from the flu at my work.

Maybe a fourth in da am.

Hmmm, my doctor recommended I get one. So, does that mean I'm a geezer? :unsure:/>/> :(/>/> :P/>/> ;)/>/>

Now Allie... Wouldn't that be a "Geezette...?" :rolleyes:

Archived