SASS Wire Forum

skb Question

Connecticut Yankee

Hey Pards

This may be a stupid question but i dont know the answer so i am asking everyone. I am looking at buying a SKB 200E with 26 inch barrel and Briley chokes that stick out of the barrel about 3/4" is it legal to keep it this way and shoot it at the matches?? I just wondering if it is okay and is there any benefit to doing so or should i cut the length of the barrel to 20"?? Any help would be appreciated

Connecticut Yankee

I would say it is legal the way it is...shoot it as is for a while before you start sawing on that barrel

SKB's usually need to be a little longer than 20 in. cut off to stay open better. ;)/>/>remember you can cut it twice but its very difficult to add it back on :lol:/>

Mines 22 in. no chokes. :wub:

Thought the chokes had to be even with the end of the barrels.There I go thinking again.

Yep. Find ya some that fit flush.

Or most all of us have them cut.

On SKB's I like them around 23-22 inchs.

Ours is 23. But that is what it was when we got it.

If I was having one done. Think I would go with 22.

Hey Pards

This may be a stupid question but i dont know the answer so i am asking everyone. I am looking at buying a SKB 200E with 26 inch barrel and Briley chokes that stick out of the barrel about 3/4" is it legal to keep it this way and shoot it at the matches?? I just wondering if it is okay and is there any benefit to doing so or should i cut the length of the barrel to 20"?? Any help would be appreciated

Connecticut Yankee

Chokes must be flush to end of barrel. If you cut the barrel to 20 inches, you may or may not be able to install chokes. The thickness of the barrels of SKBs vary some and many/most do not allow much to be cut off before they are too thin for chokes. I have two SKBs with screw in chokes installed, one a 26 inch barrel (uncut) and the other was an SKB 280, with SKB 100 wood exchanged and it had thicker barrels so it is cut to 23 inches with chokes installed by Johnny Meadows.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Some food for thought... a "97" with a 20" barrel is around 25" from the trigger to the muzzle. Longer barrels point better and you should be able to find shorter choke tubes or have it cut for thin walls or the like. Heck at the monthly club level just shoot it! Just because there are windows and doors doesn't mean you need to put your whole gun trough them ;)/>

If you SG actually has Briley choke tubes you may just be able to switch them. I have an SKB (cut to 20")with Briley chike tubes which are flush with the end of the barrel. Call Briley and see if the flush tubes will fit your gun.

Mine is 22" with no chokes but it came to me that way. If I were you I would shoot it as is with some flush fitting chokes. If I had to choose between 22 and 26 in an SKB it would be the 26. 26 is not too long at all. Try it you might like it.

Mine is 22" with no chokes but it came to me that way. If I were you I would shoot it as is with some flush fitting chokes. If I had to choose between 22 and 26 in an SKB it would be the 26. 26 is not too long at all. Try it you might like it.

Kinda depends on where you shoot. If you shoot thru a lot of doors and windows, most shooters find 26 inch barrels are too long.

:ph34r:/> My understanding is that SKB's at 23" retain some degree of choke, but that at 22" it is gone.

About the difference between improved cyl and open bore.

When I first began using mine, I THOUGHT it was too long, but I was used to an 18.25" Stoeger. Now I rather like the SKB, and 'crowding the prop' has been overcome...

Check with Johnny Meadows or Goatneck Clem before getting out the hacksaw.

Personally I would not cut that gun. Replace the choke tubes with flush choke tubes and shoot it like it is.

I would go with TruLock chokes, not Brileys. I would use their "Pattern Plus" flush chokes in IC Constriction/(.010).

THey are made of the same Stainless Steel, on the same CNC machines, carry a lifetime Warranty, and are a bit cheaper. Their customer service is second to none. The chokes you need are Stock #PPW12720, and cost $22.99 each.

http://www.trulockchokes.com 1-800-293-9402

RBK

Archived