SASS Wire Forum

Taurus PT58

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Anyone tried the new Taurus PT58 380 yet? If so I would be interested in your experience and thoughts on it. The stainless version has caught my eye and the prices seem pretty low considering the good reviews I have found.

I get flyer's from Gun test magazine.The last one had this model of Taurus in it.It was a blued one,not stainless.They were not impressed.Lot's of feed and stovepiping issues.They compared it to a Walther.That ran smoothly.

Hardpan, it is definitely a high capacity da semi-auto pistol. I have seen two reports that referred to it as 19+1 while others have claimed 18+1 or 17+1 BUT I think I remember Taurus showing it as 18+1?? Definitely a true front runner Zombie pistol if it is dependable and tough enuff fer withstanding an apocalypse.

Charlie, thanks for that tidbit pardner. I used to put a lot of importance on reports from Gun Test Magazine, when it was an annual off shelf mag, but have never subscribed to the later formats. I am starting to find some value in the YouTube tests where owners, and seemingly some pros, give larger test samples of each model. This also sometimes allows you to see what they are bragging or complaining about. I have seen several instances where the video performance and the verbal opinions did not necessarily support each other on YouTube, so???

Concerning the PT58 I run into another problem on YT, the gun seems to be a popular foreign model though not so in America. I have no doubt this is due to our concepts of what calibers a full size carry should be in. At any rate most of the revues are in foreign languages and we do lose that verbal input. Just based on the video for most entrants, I get the impression they must be positive??

PS: In the first editions of GTM there were frequently some really great articles on self defense issues and some were very un-PC, even for those days. Their ideas for self defense, if caught in one the then frequent riots, were a hoot and the PT58 would have fit right in there.

In many countries, 9mm and other "military calibers" are restricted so civilians/serfs are only allowed the 380 and similar calibers.

That is likely why such guns are more popular there.

I have not participated in reading the gun mags for many years now but their story used to be that 9mm was military while 380 was police over there and their civilians had to register sling shots!

I went out today looking for guns of interest and did not see any ARs and the handgun selection was thin very thin. I asked the guy behind the counter if they expected any Kahr P380s and he did not even know what I was talking about. So much for the idea that gun enthusiasts are always working in the small local shops! (In fairness, he was a new face there.) Decided to not even ask about the Taurus PT58 when I saw $600 on a Taurus PT92!

I enjoy reading various gun publications, however most report them all as very good. The exception seems to be Gun Tests. Evidently most writers put postive spin on them for fear of being blacklisted. I can think of no other reason. Taurus is a company that floods the market with many models and options, quite often at low prices. Some real users report satisfaction, while others complain of dissatisfaction with warranty work. Feeling lucky?

Archived