SASS Wire Forum

Police School Strategy

Come On Christmas

My wife is a teacher at First Baptist Academy in Downtown Dallas.

Just after the tragedy in Connecticut her principal issued a can of Mace spray to each of the teachers.

Yesterday a day ahead of the students returning to school the teachers attended an inservice with a Dallas Policeman.

What impressed Brenda was the officer said, "you notice these tragedies have not happen in Texas cause the terrorists know too many people are packing heat here."

Al Queda and like minded terrorists want to ruin our way of life. Elementary schools are prime targets. It's not a matter of if it is a matter of when something like Connecticut happens again.

The speaker advocated teachers being armed and be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice to protect the children.

****** Most important statement. Police arrived in a timely manner in Columbine. All police were trained at that point to wait for the SWAT team. The Swat team took 2 hours to arrive. This is a fact that I feel went unreported. Police are know being trained to ACT!

The survalence tapes from Connecticut are being distributed to all Police Departments to train and retrain officers.

What impressed Brenda was the officer said, "you notice these tragedies have not happen in Texas cause the terrorists know too many people are packing heat here."

Al Queda and like minded terrorists want to ruin our way of life. Elementary schools are prime targets. It's not a matter of if it is a matter of when something like Connecticut happens again.

The speaker advocated teachers being armed and be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice to protect the children.

And hopefully we will keep it that way!!

All police were trained at that point to wait for the SWAT team. The Swat team took 2 hours to arrive.

WHAT A TRAGEDY!!

Waimea

:FlagAm:/>

Most important statement. Police arrived in a timely manner in Columbine. All police were trained at that point to wait for the SWAT team. The Swat team took 2 hours to arrive. This is a fact that I feel went unreported. Police are know being trained to ACT!

I believe the same thing happened in Virginia at the university. First responders arrived quickly, but their training had them wait for back-up/tactical team.

SW, here's a pic of an Israeli school teacher and her pupils They haven't had a school shooting in Israel since the seventies because they know how to protect their kids. Every teacher is armed at all times. Some on here don't like the idea of arming teachers. They say the Israelis serve two years in the military right out of high school and are trained in the use of firearms and tactics. I would say to the nay sayers that our teachers are as smart as Israeli teachers and they can be trained in the use of firearms to protect our kids.

This is just my opinion but a can of mace is not very effective against a crazy #%**& with a weapon, it is somewhat effective against a purse snatcher or a horny #@#%* on a jogging trail. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight! Your mileage may vary.

Blackfoot

Most important statement. Police arrived in a timely manner in Columbine. All police were trained at that point to wait for the SWAT team. The Swat team took 2 hours to arrive. This is a fact that I feel went unreported. Police are know being trained to ACT!

I believe the same thing happened in Virginia at the university. First responders arrived quickly, but their training had them wait for back-up/tactical team.

They talked about this incident too at the inservice. The perp planned the attack in advance and chained the entrances shut so police had a hard time gaining entrance.

This is just my opinion but a can of mace is not very effective against a crazy #%**& with a weapon, it is somewhat effective against a purse snatcher or a horny #@#%* on a jogging trail. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight! Your mileage may vary.

Blackfoot

True, but they could not pass out pistols. My wife does not know how to use one. I know. I know. I need to bring her to a match.

It is great to see someone taking a pro-active approach to the situation. I just hope that a can of mace doesn't give them a false sense of security. I feel that the police instructors will discuss the limitations of mace vs a firearm in the hands of a suicide attacker.

Blackfoot

I drew up the on scene plan for my old Department's School Intervention. It was how the layout was set up.... IE Inner, outer perimeter, staging area, entry points, command area etc. It was the only one accepted by 25 Districts that were submitted and was the example for the rest of the Department.

Good for Dallas! and better planning! The picture of Columbine with police waiting outside and herding students once they were out has haunted me since it happened.

My wife is a retired teacher, had she been in that school they would have had to have shot me to keep me from going in to help!

chained doors, hmmph, a car makes for an excellent battering ram,,,

I am very pleased that "rules of engagement" have indeed changed for police encounters..

Cheyenne

The fact that the SWAT team took so long at Columbine was widely reported. That is the reason departments across the countrynow train on handling active shooter situations where a rapid response by the first officers on the scene istaught and practiced.

As far as this not happening in Texas because terrorists know everybody is pacing heat.......remember that we are dealing with mentally deranged people who frequently don't care if they die or not. In those cases, guns are not neessarily a deterent but they are certainly a rapid solution. Texas is not safe from such incidents but they are more prepared to respond appropriately than many states.

Archived