SASS Wire Forum

We Need a Voice...

With recent events, the emotional reaction has overriden any reasoned discussion of the issues. Appropriately, there should be a period of respectful quiet, but the public debate is about to begin, and the agenda, it seems, has already been staked out. The President and the VP are going to give the anti's a bully pulpit; how will we match this?

We need a new public voice for the 2nd Amendment.

We need a voice, a face and a reputation that carries respect; that the public will associate with historical respect for the traditions and laws of this country, and who carries none of the negative baggage associated with being the necessarily argumentative face of the NRA.

Any ideas? (No posthumous nominations, please; Mr. Heston has done his part, and while we may wish he were available, we need to deal in reality here).

My first thought was Tom Selleck. Is there a Vet with national recognition and public status that could fit the bill? How about a political leader (yeah, that's a pipe dream...). We're talking a unique combination of public recognition, oratorical skills, presence, and true commitment. Hmmm.....

LL

Another rant against the NRA....memberships are going strong since this tragedy because folks are looking to them to be the voice that can help stave of senseless gun laws. We don't need a divided NRA right now. The message given by the NRA recently was a viable solution to the social problem we have with killers wanting to create carnage in our schools and other gun free zones.

And a ' politician' as a spokesperson s not an answer. We have enough of those and they create more roadblocks than solutions.

GG

I would nominate a women, and a younger woman to boot. She would be hard to make into a villian,first tactic of the libs,and she would resinate with young mothers. Young mothers are the key to success, as they go,so go their families.

Yet,even though a younger women would get attention, a team of spokespersons would do better, especially a younger team to show the support for the owning of firearms and support for the shooting sports in general

Therefor I'd nominate some of SASS'S best,and best known. Folks like Holy Terror, Leaddispencer,Sage Chick, just to name a few. Add to this SASS and the NRA putting up some cash to buy these spokespersons time on Air so the message gets out there. (We can't count on the press to give any coverage...no Possitive coverage that is.)

Lastly, I'd try and get enough folks to ask this fine people to do this. It would be a trial on them, make no mistake about that, nor would I blame them inthe least for saying no. That would be showing plain common sense.

Anyway, that's the view from my saddle.

Another rant against the NRA....memberships are going strong since this tragedy because folks are looking to them to be the voice that can help stave of senseless gun laws. We don't need a divided NRA right now. The message given by the NRA recently was a viable solution to the social problem we have with killers wanting to create carnage in our schools and other gun free zones.

And a ' politician' as a spokesperson s not an answer. We have enough of those and they create more roadblocks than solutions.

GG

GG:

I'm not certain how you could have interpreted my post as a "rant"...and I'm certainly not anti-NRA - there are three generations of NRA members in my family. And I agree that we need the NRA's work now more than ever. But fund raising and lobbying are a different skill set from influencing PUBLIC opinion - and in my view, we need a face and a voice that will move the public. The NRA understood this before, and that's why we had Charlton Heston.

I agree that trained, armed protection at schools is warranted. The NRA's timing for such a suggestion sucked, in my view. And it was a suggestion that probably should have come from a public safety official, to give it more credibility.

As for a politician, that comment was more wishful thinking than anything. We could use a voice in the Congress for all gun owners in the US; a respected, longterm legislator who understands history and context, and can help us in what promises to be a bloody fight.

Right now, my major concern is that we will sit on our hands, afraid of public derision, and roll over while Joe Biden and Eric Holder rewrite the 2nd Amendment. THAT'S why I think we need a voice - a rallying figure to get us up and out of the funk we have been in for the last month, and get us back in the fight.

LL

GG:

I'm not certain how you could have interpreted my post as a "rant"...and I'm certainly not anti-NRA - there are three generations of NRA members in my family. And I agree that we need the NRA's work now more than ever. But fund raising and lobbying are a different skill set from influencing PUBLIC opinion - and in my view, we need a face and a voice that will move the public. The NRA understood this before, and that's why we had Charlton Heston.

I agree that trained, armed protection at schools is warranted. The NRA's timing for such a suggestion sucked, in my view. And it was a suggestion that probably should have come from a public safety official, to give it more credibility.

As for a politician, that comment was more wishful thinking than anything. We could use a voice in the Congress for all gun owners in the US; a respected, longterm legislator who understands history and context, and can help us in what promises to be a bloody fight.

Right now, my major concern is that we will sit on our hands, afraid of public derision, and roll over while Joe Biden and Eric Holder rewrite the 2nd Amendment. THAT'S why I think we need a voice - a rallying figure to get us up and out of the funk we have been in for the last month, and get us back in the fight.

LL

Well - it seems that you are unhappy with what the the NRA is doing now - they are not perfect, but when you wrote "who carries none of the negative baggage associated with being the necessarily argumentative face of the NRA. " it certainly didn't come across as being supportive. There is nothing wrong with being argumentive over protecting our 2nd Amendment right. We, The NRA, are in the fight - which really has never stopped. They (us) HAVE to argue on our behalf - there is no 'compromise'...

A statesman is not a bad thing, but a politician is.

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>/>

In this particular instance, I think we would be best served by spokespeople who are well-versed in constitutional law. Most of the politicians in DC are themselves lawyers, so it would be good to have lawyers argue with them.

In this particular instance, I think we would be best served by spokespeople who are well-versed in constitutional law. Most of the politicians in DC are themselves lawyers, so it would be good to have lawyers argue with them.

Unfortunately, Matt, I doubt the first round will have anything at all to do with constitutional law. Joe Biden is no constitutional scholar, and neither is his boss. The first round will probably be the widest possible mix of banning, registration and taxing that they can shove through the Congress or implement through regulations or executive orders. Constitutional issues will have to wait until those rules are challanged and eventually make their way up through the Courts.

It is a common misconception that politicians who are lawyers by education know anything about the Constitution.

LL

Might I sugest any or all of the Mandrell sisters.

They are entertainers, are known shooting partisipents, and as I recall, host an annual skeet or trap shoot for their favorite charities every year. These ladies can shoot! Maybe these fine ladies could be approached to lend their voice to our side of the argument.

Another request is for our reviered Colonel Dan,extend his reach beyond the Chronicle, into mainstream national media.

:FlagAm:

The barn door is already open.I think the NRA should have picked a credible, articulate spokesperson long ago. Someone who is able to anticipate the anti gun rhetoric and respond in a coherent and reasonable manner. But they didn't.

PR is such an important tool in this fight. I'm distressed that the NRA failed to anticipate what could and probably would happen after an incident like this that could tip public opinion in favor of more regulation.

The barn door is already open.I think the NRA should have picked a credible, articulate spokesperson long ago. Someone who is able to anticipate the anti gun rhetoric and respond in a coherent and reasonable manner. But they didn't.

PR is such an important tool in this fight. I'm distressed that the NRA failed to anticipate what could and probably would happen after an incident like this that could tip public opinion in favor of more regulation.

Bob, I hear ya, but I don't think I can totally agree with the "But they didn't" part. In fact, I think we've had some good representation in the past.

But I suspect that no matter WHO the NRA puts out as a spokesperson, that person will be vilified by the "opposition." Just look at what they've done with Sarah Palin, John McCain, Mitt Romney, George Bush (there was even an attempt to accuse George Sr of philandering!). Heck... I think that if the Pope himself were to speak out in support of gun owners he'd be dinged hard, and probably have someone with a name like Kennedy, Kerry, or Murray leading the charge.

As far as celebrity spokespersons (spokespeople?), it would have to be someone well-known and respected, independently wealthy, and/or retired. The backlash against conservatives who've been "outed" by the <==(left) is appalling and can kill careers. :(

Bob, I hear ya, but I don't think I can totally agree with the "But they didn't" part. In fact, I think we've had some good representation in the past.

But I suspect that no matter WHO the NRA puts out as a spokesperson, that person will be vilified by the "opposition." Just look at what they've done with Sarah Palin, John McCain, Mitt Romney, George Bush (there was even an attempt to accuse George Sr of philandering!). Heck... I think that if the Pope himself were to speak out in support of gun owners he'd be dinged hard, and probably have someone with a name like Kennedy, Kerry, or Murray leading the charge.

As far as celebrity spokespersons (spokespeople?), it would have to be someone well-known and respected, independently wealthy, and/or retired. The backlash against conservatives who've been "outed" by the <==(left) is appalling and can kill careers. :(/>/>

People have spoken out for the organization but that's not the same as a full time mouthpiece press secretary. La Pierre won't cut it. It needs to be sombody who is personable. Someone public the will percieve as reasonable, intelligent and capable of spirited but courteous debate. Someone who can put a face on the NRA and counter the rhetoric of the anti-gun mob.

And that ain't Ted Nugent. ;)/>

People have spoken out for the organization but that's not the same as a full time mouthpiece press secretary. La Pierre won't cut it. It needs to be sombody who is personable. Someone public the will percieve as reasonable, intelligent and capable of spirited but courteous debate. Someone who can put a face on the NRA and counter the rheorc of the anti-gun mob.And that ain't Ted Nugent. ;)/>

That's it exactly, UB. We're dealing with public perception, and the messenger is as important as the message.

LL

Where does Thomas Sowell stand on support of the be Second Amendment?

=======================================

He's 110% for it.

If you want a celebrity whose pro-gun and would be as good or even better than Charlton Heston we'd have to go with Tom Selleck. I don't think he'd do it though especially since he's on "prime time tv" aka The Blue Bloods, which is a pretty popular show. If he did they'd have to kill off his character and then the show would nosedive. Yea, ferget Ol' Tom fer now at least. I see noone else of top celebrity status standing up for the NRA.

:) Rye

Bein a member of the N.R.A for some time it would seem that they would find a spoke's person a face people would know like Sam Elliot. We as a people need to tell our elected offical's to read and under stand the constitution and the bill of right's and admendment's to the constitution. if you can't read and under stand them get out of office.If you want to under mind these right's your home state will recomend your ousting. For you are no longer a effective rep for the people who elected you. Just a thought Brisco

I agree a gal would be an excellent choice, but look what happened to Sarah Palin..It never fails to amaze me that the left-wing feminists are so down on her..When I was in college we had to sit through a lengthy humanities lecture in which the ladies of the faculty ranted, raved, and did skits about the plight of the poor, downtrodden women of America..The "Barbie culture", as they put it..They pointed to the likes of strong, successful women like Hillery Clinton and Oprah Winfrey as shining examples of how far a gal could go in spite of the obstacles they have to overcome because they are female..But then here comes a lady like Sarah, who manages to raise kids, hold political office, and still has time to hunt and help her hubby with his fishing business, and these same types go to the extreme to put down and vilify her..Apparently being successful in "a man's world" ain't good enough if you are a conservative.. <_<

Another thing that I found both astonishing and amusing was from the first day of class we were told to be "open-minded"-It is supposed to be the cornerstone of liberal thinking..But if you disagree with or question any of their ideas, you find out very quickly they are far more closed-minded than even the most extreme right-winger would ever be..The hypocracy is downright funny, until one remembers that too many of these people are in positions of power that effects all our lives! :blink:

But yes we need a spokesperson, and yes it needs to be someone other than Uncle Ted..His heart's in the right place, I love his music and agree with many of his beliefs, but his "in your face" style of speaking would not work in our favor..We need someone a bit more diplomatic and eloquent..

Bein a member of the N.R.A for some time it would seem that they would find a spoke's person a face people would know like Sam Elliot. We as a people need to tell our elected offical's to read and under stand the constitution and the bill of right's and admendment's to the constitution. if you can't read and under stand them get out of office.If you want to under mind these right's your home state will recomend your ousting. For you are no longer a effective rep for the people who elected you. Just a thought Brisco

Forgot about him, good choice. Now if we can get him off the RAM commercials!!

:) Rye

Archived