SASS Wire Forum

Why do you have a AR-15?

Snakebite

I don't own one. The first time I qualified with the M16 I shot 40 rounds and had two failures to feed which pretty much set the tone for my opinion of the rifle. I also couldn't stand the rattle of the spring in the stock. I still qualified as expert with a newer M4 a year later. The accuracy is very impressive though.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never wanted a black rifle...until this last election...could not afford

an AR15 and bought a really nice AK47 with a red dot.This gun will shoot 2in at 100yrds.

I love this rifle and would bet my life on it..."I'm not afraid of the little turban headed

guys in the caves as much as I am of the guys in the business suits in D.C" ;)

I never wanted a black rifle...until this last election...could not afford

an AR15 and bought a really nice AK47 with a red dot.This gun will shoot 2in at 100yrds.

I love this rifle and would bet my life on it..."I'm not afraid of the little turban headed

guys in the caves as much as I am of the guys in the business suits in D.C" ;)/>

+1

Bought mine in 1994 'cause the government said I couldn't have one. Fell in love with it because it is so accurate WAAAYYY out there. Just a ton of fun. My go-to gun WSHTF.

I built one this year (2012), taking care to build it with the "look and feel" of a Vietnam-era M-16, simply because those old beater M-16s were still being used by the Army when I went through basic training in 1985.

There are two reasons I wanted this. One is that I'm building a shootable wall display of the U.S. Army infantry rifles from 1866 to 1966. This encompasses all but one of the cartridge firing rifles, and that century can be covered by only seven shootable rifles, from the 2nd Model Allen Conversion to the M-16/AR-15.

The other reason I built it is that the AR-15 is the Thompson-Center contender of semiautos. I plan uppers in calibers for long range varmint up through hog hunting (probably at least a .201 Ruger, a 6.8 of some stripe, and the .458 SOCOM). It's versatile and both fun and easy to work on -- and it is of course mechanically no different from a Remington 7400 (try explaining that to an anti-gunner some time).

:FlagAm:/> Carried one for several years at work and on more than one occasion it saved my bacon! They work and its a Colt. Fun to shoot too. Coyotes hate mine too. :FlagAm:/>

I own an AR because of ergonomics. I was always an AK fan and still own an AK-74. Being an AK fan put me in the anti-AR camp. I resisted for years, but finally had to admit that AR's have vastly superior ergonomics. I bought a 14.5" barreled Noveske and haven't shot the AK since. It is probably a good time to sell or trade it now...

OK... so tell me why you have a AR-15

I have one and think it is neat. It is pretty accurate for what it is, but is by no means the most accurate gun in the stable, and certainly not my choice for hunting anything. I find it very difficult to mount properly on the shoulder. It just takes a couple of peeks at anyone shooting one from the shoulder to see that it was not made for shoulder mounting. As for the large magazines, I've never had to shoot at any game 30 times in my life. IMO there are not only better hunting guns, but also better hunting rounds than the .223. When it comes to a "Bed side" gun for home defense... I'd take my shotgun any day. Fact is, at least for the type of shooting that I do, it really is of little use.

So what is it good for? I find that it is a great gun for shooting offhand... using a good quality Red Dot sight or a laser sight you can walk through a close in area and do a pretty good job of blasting targets that you have little time to acquire, while still being able to put a round out at some distance when needed. I can't think of any gun that is better at this. However, I do very little of this type shooting.

So why do I have one? It keeps my SKS company and if I ever have the need to do more of that type of shooting, I will have the equipment and ammo to do it with. Being prepared is better than being left wanting.

Snakebite

Cause I CAN!

2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the USA Says I can!

I have 4 and love them!

I do a bit of varmint hunting and the Hi cap mag IS a Plus ...and necessary when hunting burrowing critters especially suppressed...The report of a rifle will get you one hit and then they scatter and go to ground.With a suppressor and a hi cap mag, the shooting action is greatly increased.

The main "reason" I own them is as INSURANCE ( and because the 2nd amendment says I can.). I've been using this argument for the last few weeks to anti-gunners and you would be surprised at how well it comes across.

I have had life insurance for 25 years because I simply don't know what tomorrow will hold. I want to be able to protect my wife and family in the event of the unexpected. I may never have to use my life insurance but, if something happens to me I will be damn gald I have it.

Having an AR is another form of insurance because I just don't know what the future will hold. I have two, one in .223 that is fun and accurate for target shooting and one in .308 for better stopping power that I just bought. Just like life insurance, I hope I never have to use it for defense. However, I can't be assured that we will not have a major natural disaster or something else that could cause riots and unrest in the next 50 years. My AR's are my insurance policy against that remote possibility. The politicians cant guarantee my safety in the event of civil unrest but the 2nd amendment can !!! :FlagAm:/>

Yes, because of this:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

+1

Now I ain't saying I own an AR or an AK or a couple of each but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn in Kentucky one time :)

Kajun

+1

Now I ain't saying I own an AR or an AK or a couple of each but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn in Kentucky one time :)/>

Kajun

Oh yeah. I meant to say that I owned an AR and AK-74 up until the boating accident. ;)

Strangely enough, all of my semi-autos and high capacity mags were also on the boat at the time. :lol:

I built two of them from stripped lower receivers and I like them because I customized them to my taste. They were fun to build and there fun to shoot.

I am on hold for finishing my second build also. Love to build them but I am stuck trying to figure out how I want to finish the upper. With the piston drive I might head in that direction.

I own an AR because of ergonomics. I was always an AK fan and still own an AK-74. Being an AK fan put me in the anti-AR camp. I resisted for years, but finally had to admit that AR's have vastly superior ergonomics. I bought a 14.5" barreled Noveske and haven't shot the AK since. It is probably a good time to sell or trade it now...

Never understood those two camps. The AK and AR seem like two sides of the assault rifle coin if you ask me.

Drawbacks and advantages to each. I like em both.

I don't. I have a Ruger AC556 that has semi-auto, three round burst and full auto. It has a folding stock, muzzle brake for control and a pile of those terrible 30 round mags. I used to have a Colt M4 in semi-auto but I got tired of pulling the trigger. Why have a semi-auto when you can go full auto?

Why have a semi-auto when you can go full auto?

Accurately placed shots rather that spray 'n pray? Also, no BATFE visitors, finger prints, photographs and registration needed. And, WAY cheaper!

There's a few good reasons. I have a few friends with all sorts of full auto stuff... but, I haven't wanted one. I think the NFA should be repealed. It would make them much more affordable.

Accurately placed shots rather that spray 'n pray? Also, no BATFE visitors, finger prints, photographs and registration needed. And, WAY cheaper!

There's a few good reasons. I have a few friends with all sorts of full auto stuff... but, I haven't wanted one. I think the NFA should be repealed. It would make them much more affordable.

Accuracy is what the muzzle brake is for. I can put 3 rounds in nearly the same spot on the 3 round burst and I can shoot the center out of a target on full auto. There is no climb and it eliminates the so-called "spray and pray" you referred to.

As for visitors from BATF, I've had class III for 30 years and no one has shown up yet. Of course I haven't checked the front door in the last hour.

The NFA has been in effect since 1934 and it's always possible that the info they have could be used for confiscation but that's not going to keep me from enjoying all of my toys because of what "might" happen.

You cerainly do have a good point on the cost difference. I won't even mention what I just paid for a H&K MP5.

But then you already said you don't want one. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, I don't like to play golf but I do like snapping in a 30 round mag and switching to full auto.

Because I want to. It is my right to do so. I do not need a reason to own one. You might as well go up to somebody and start asking their reasons for owning a leaf blower, a pipe wrench or a poster of Starry Night by Van Gogh. I should not have to justify owning anything that was acquired legally. Period.

Those folks that fought in the French and Indian War (America's first world war), that fought in the American Revolution, that fought in the War of 1812, that fought in the War Between the States (there was nothing "civil" about it), that even fought in the Spanish-American war, in Cuba, used their own firearms in many cases. The legal use of firearms saves hundreds of lives, every month, yet I don't see any of the networks addressing that fact.

You know, if everyone that attended synagogue, or church, or the firearm owners and their families, had voted in the last elections, we would not be having this debate right now.

Why would I want to own an AR? I trained with one in the military, the M-16. The U.S. Government trusted me, once-upon-a-time, with one to protect American Citizens, with an AR type firearm, and with my own life, if need be. I know folks that hunt with them, that target shoot with them, that plink with them, that keep them for self-defense. In the hands of a law abiding citizen, why should it be questioned at all concerning what we choose to shoot, be it a semi-automatic, a lever action, a single shot, or a muzzleloader?

Does anyone think we should be reduced to protecting ourselves, and our children, with only our bodies, as the teachers in Newtown were forced to do? That won't work. It has never worked.

All of you better write and call your Senators and Congressmen. Once they ban a certain type of firearm, what makes any of you think they will stop with AR's?

A lever action rifle, like the ones we use in S.A.S.S., can hold twelve rounds, and can be fired at two shots a second or faster.

Do you think they will overlook that fact for very long?

My two bits.

W.K.

50 years of veterans trained with this rifle and know it like the back of their hand. It is very accurate for it's intended use and range. It is easily repaired. It is virtually GI Proof.

If I could own only one rifle, this would not be it. But, no one said I could only own one rifle!

As to home defense, it's hard to beat a shotgun in almost every situation.

I agree with ya

shotgun for home defense

ar15 or its kind for property defense (property yardage can be long fer some folks)

Lets see, if the police are called about an armed gunman holding up a bank, doing a car jacking, a home invasion, guess what they show up with a Glock with a 13 round magazine and an AR with a 30 round magazine. Guess if its good enough for the police to use, I can have the same thing.

TB

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

My son sent this to me in an email... shortly after I gave him the rifle shown below. Heard it before... but can't recollect where. However... I like it....

Rifleman’s Creed

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

My son's rifle....

ts

I bought a used colt CR6724 for $1200 several years ago and a colt LE6940 shortly after for $1000. I've had them several years and yet to fire either. I bought them for speculation and with prices north of $2000. It may be time to sell.

Next purchase ---- Barrett 82 --- why???

Its gonna be worth a boatload down the road with a 50 cal ban and all the new laws! :lol::rolleyes:

My son sent this to me in an email... shortly after I gave him the rifle shown below. Heard it before... but can't recollect where. However... I like it....

Rifleman’s Creed

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

My son's rifle....

ts

Penned by Major General William H. Rupertus USMC in WWII.

Rifleman's Creed

My son's rifle....

ts

There must have been a strong fella to twist that barrel like that :blink:/> ...:P/>

Nice rifle ;)/>

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

I don't have a personal AR15, just don't need one. I have carried one at work for many years and they are alright for what they were designed to do. I do support every adult law abiding citizen's right to own one.

There must have been a strong fella to twist that barrel like that :blink:/>/> ...:P/>/>

Nice rifle ;)/>/>

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>/>

Dang skilled Blacksmith. :)

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

There must have been a strong fella to twist that barrel like that :blink:/>/>/> ...:P/>/>/>

Nice rifle ;)/>/>/>

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>/>/>

I tole my son that the barrel kinda looked like a stick of liquorice.

He looks at me and says... "What's liquorice?"

I says... "Nevermind".

Another funny note...

My son asked me if I "thought they would 'outlaw' his rifle?.."

I says to him... "No son... they are only gonna outlaw black rifles. Yores is brown."

He then gives me one of those... (dad-is-dumber-than-a-stick)... incredulous looks.

ts

Archived