SASS Wire Forum

Why do you have a AR-15?

Snakebite

I dont have one and I dont want one.

I dont care for the assault rifles of any style .

But I will stand and fight for the right to own one.

:FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/>

They are not an Assualt Rifle, but thanks for protecting our rights

KK

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought one right after Obama was elected the first time. I figured I'd better git one so I did. I've shot it exactly two times since! I just like the rifle and I'll use fer the apocalypse when the zombies come!

:) Rye

I flat don't give damn if you have one or not... ANYONE that can read can see that in my post.

Snakebite

I don't consider your topic as snooping. I think you are asking a valid social discussion question.

The question, unfortunately, lifts the scab from a parnoia, which is symtomatic of an out-of-control government. However:

AR's are popular, probably for the same reasons, I and others think they are popular

== The AR makes a pretty decent ranch rifle.

== The AR is also very effective in self-defense situations.

== The AR is fun to play with, because it is, more or less, "the big boys' erector set;" you can produce virtually infinate variations.

== The weapon is reasonably accurate (and can be tuned and accessorized to be more so) to a pretty decent varmint range, and that's far!

== Parts and accessories are reasonably easy to obtain.

== Commercial and military (equivalent)ammo is available.

== The AR is essentially a military weapon, therefore easy to tear down and reassemble.

== The AR has formed the basis of a social culture that people enjoy and which is growing.

== The AR is basically a military weapon and keeping military weapons in the home for defensive and sporting purposes is as American as apple pie.

I don't think anyone would say that the AR is a 600-1000-yard weapon and there are other, heavier weapons more suited to that task. We all know that.

I agree the 30-rnd magazine is useful for up-close, busy firefights, with a full- or semi-auto weapon. The more bullets in the air, going the other way, the better, in my opinion. But, in most non-combat situations, I believe that a 5-,10-, 15-, or 20-round magazine makes for better ease in handling the weapon and in those situations, the shooter probably will have more fun than with the higher capacity magazine. So, having some of the smaller-capacity magazines is probably a good idea, too.

BUT, I think we all agree that it's no one's business to tell any of us what capacity magazine we are allowed to possess! If I want one or more of those 100-round double-snail drum magazines, that's my business. If I want a 300-round box magazine from a SAW hooked onto my AR-15 in some manner with a shotgun tube underneath the barrel and a one-quart pepper-spray device attached under that, that's my business, too.

Moving a bit off-topic to Snakebite's observation of the SKS, I like mine a lot. I was able years ago to get hold of a short ("paratrooper model" ... yeah, sure) Chinese forged reciever gun. I tossed the bayonet and the wood and bought a black composite Choate sporting stock, with handguard, a Williams peep sight and a 5-round magazine (to replace the fixed, 10-rnd magazine). The smaller capacity fixed magazine is flush to the bottom of the rifle, reloads normally and easily through the action with a stripper clip and pops open on demand to dump the ammo. The trigger isn't all that bad, if you can shoot. After that, it became apparent that my inherently inaccurate Mini-14 was obsolete. It languished for years until I sold it recently. The SKS is easily as accurate and I believe, functionally superior to, the Mini-14 and more versitile. My opinion.

Lots of pig hunters use a suppressor and .30cal sub-sonic ammo.

Too bad the government stuck there nose in there too... where there was no call to do so. Some countries, you can just go in the store and buy one. They consider it good manners not making those big bangs.

I don't know why we have to be fingerprinted, photographed, registered, pay high fees, etc. to own one here. Some politicians figured they were evil I guess. :angry:

I never really wanted or thought I needed one, but knew that in time the ban would resurface. Since owning AR’s I have enjoyed shooting 3 gun matches on occasion. Recently the Gold Country Wild Bunch club had a friendly competition with the local IDPA 3 gun club. It was fun, educational and a long, long day!! We lost by 60 seconds on overall time. By the way Badlands Bud and Doc Burwood we’re 1st and 2nd overall. There is always next year.

Cowboys like to shoot our Cowboy and Wild Bunch guns the same as the 3 gunners like to shoot their AR’s. We need to do our best to protect everyone’s right to own firearms.

I have a .308 and a 5.56, the .308 is fast, accurate and fun to shoot. The 5.56 I can afford shoot or was able to afford to shoot it before all this mess. Good thing we reload!!

Tully

I bought one right after Obama was elected the first time. I figured I'd better git one so I did. I've shot it exactly two times since! I just like the rifle and I'll use fer the apocalypse when the zombies come!

:)/> Rye

The Zombies have knocked off for the night after failing once again to avert the impending fiscal black hole.

Oughta make em sleep on the dang floor and close the restooms. :angry:

I'm cleaning up all my internet disclosures.

I lost my Colt 6920 in a swamp. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

With the application of enuff sodium pentothal or waterboarding you will divulge its true location. For the Good of The People you understand.

UB, you own a CETME? Yes it makes for a fine Brown Bess. I would prefer a NM M1A but the mags are too high. My CETME came with 100 mags and the package was one of the better gun deals I ever made. It'll do when the balloon goes up.

Cat, several times you use the phrase "we all surely would agree" or something like that. Not so, compadre. Your theory that the 223 is no good out past 600 meters or yards I cannot agree with. When on a USAREUR AMU in the early 70s we used to shoot our secretly altered (didn't want to get caught breaking The Rules for The Match) M16s out to 800 meters with more than a modicum of accuracy.

I trained on an M14 and later an M12A2.....a couple of years later I went to Vietnam and was issued a 45 and an M16. Over time in country I had a Thompson and a Grease Gun. Liked the Grease gun the best.

The question of WHY? Simply because I can. I support the 2nd ammendment and I've looked at the pros and cons of gun ownership with an open and experienced mind.....I wish the opponents would do the same.

KK

I didn't by an AR15 when CA banned them and the AK47; because, I didn't see the utility in them. However, when the CA legislature was considering going beyond the Clinton Gun Ban I went out and bought a Colt Sporter. It was the only model the dealer had in stock. When I picked it up after the waiting period the law had passed the legislature the price of AR's had gone up 20% do to the demand. By the 2nd week in December you couldn't find a complete AR or even an empty lower in the state. I even bought a fire safe to store it because I knew I couldn't replace it as long as I lived in CA. I own it because I couldn't purchase an M16, the service rifle I prefer over the M14. I am also also happy I own it because my 3 grandsons (17, 13 & 13) and grandaughter (11) love to shoot it.

JD

US Army Vietnam 1970-1971

I've been a competitive shooter since 1986. I've shot Service Rifle, Service Sniper, IPSC, Action Pistol, 3 Gun Matches (centerfire & rimfire) & Cowboy Action. During the last 14 years I have mainly shot Cowboy action, but I manage to get in some Action Pistol & 3 Gun matches every year. It is a tool to compete with, nothing else. I carried better guns in the Army than the your M16 or our licensed version called the C7A1. In severe climatic conditions there are far better tools.

I don't need to own a house, I don't need to drive an SUV, I don't need to have a cat, but I do because I want to and the rights and priviledges that I enjoy were earned by generations of my countrys soldiers before me.

And, why do you care?? I'm not a criminal, a felon, domestically violent, or mentally impaired. Your asking the question itself and, some of your comments and "observations", do nothing but feed the antis'.

So, why DO you care?

Good grief. :blink:

I must be a dull knife in the drawer. All I see is simple campfire conversation for crying out loud.... <_<

:FlagAm:

Michael Baine explained it best in his radio show

every generation of man has favored the weapons of their generation, that was based upon weapons of war, changed for use in hunting or sport shooting competitions

Even bow and arrows were at one time military weapons per say

mausers were a favorite after their war

ar15 are a very successful popular rifle that were based upon military (M16) use after their war / wars, sporterised for both hunting and or competition shooting

Point is you cannot really be biased to only modern black guns,

if you are going to use military base as the moot point, to ban then for

Yes, because of this:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Mine is the most accurate gun I own, they are amazing in that regard, if yours doesn't shoot, put a good aftermarket barrel on it. I have fired a 1/2" group at 200 yds with mine (yes you read that right), and they are good at long range, go to a highpower shoot sometime and see how many competitors use them. Having said that it is definately not my go to weapon even for varmint shooting. Doesn't feel right on my shoulder for whatever reason, matter of getting used to it I suppose. Bull barrel is heavy as well.

One thing I can't help but think of is if Diane and Schumer and others of their ilk get their way how many jobs will be lost, the number of people that build, make parts, etc is phenominal-thousands at least.

Doc

Well, I have a number of guns that are difficult to justify, but as long as you asked, I bought my DPMS LR308 thinking I'd use it for pig hunting (haven't been yet, but loaned it to a buddy who had lots of fun shooting pigs with it)and my S&W M&P 15/22 is just so much fun to shot with my Slide Fire Stock on it.

With the application of enuff sodium pentothal or waterboarding you will divulge its true location. For the Good of The People you understand.

UB, you own a CETME? Yes it makes for a fine Brown Bess. I would prefer a NM M1A but the mags are too high. My CETME came with 100 mags and the package was one of the better gun deals I ever made. It'll do when the balloon goes up.

Cat, several times you use the phrase "we all surely would agree" or something like that. Not so, compadre. Your theory that the 223 is no good out past 600 meters or yards I cannot agree with. When on a USAREUR AMU in the early 70s we used to shoot our secretly altered (didn't want to get caught breaking The Rules for The Match) M16s out to 800 meters with more than a modicum of accuracy.

I don't own a CETME. Fine for foxhole shooting but I woudn't care to hump it very far. I'm just a lil fella. ;)

Wow! 1/2" groups at 200 yds with the AR-15, and it doesn't even shoulder well! That's truely fantastic. I can't shoot 1/4 MOA with my R-15. I can come close to it with my Browning Low Wall in .243.

Snakebite

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I own no AR-15's, no AK's nor ANY other firearms!!!

:FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/>

I own no AR-15's, no AK's nor ANY other firearms!!!

A sound approach for millions of Americans. This could lead to a construction boom in false wall panels for hiding fire proof safes.

This suggestion actually came from my wife. She must have a felonius side to her I've never seen before in the 34 years we've been married.

T.H. O'Sullivan

Black Mesa Ranch

New Mexico

:FlagAm:

I own one because as a citizen it is my duty.

We the people are the well regulated militia.

If you are one of those that believes the regulated militia is the standing state or federal body, then you need to read the Federalist papers and research what the meaning of regulated was in the times. Well regulated had nothing to do with government oversight.

Just like the well regulated sights on the gun meant the gun shot where it was pointed, the meaning of a well regulated militia means a citizen is well versed in the use of his gun. Nothing more.

For those of you that believe a well regulate militia is antiquated and can no longer prevail against a modern standing army, you forgot to mention that to the Vietcong or the Mujahideen or even the Syrian rebels. People fight when their kids go hungry.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I got one cause I didn't have one.

Also... tryin' to keep up with the Jones (Nate Kiowa).

ts

Not one Taliban has made it past Durango since I've had my AR15.

Why do I have or need a AR15

The bill of rights.

The first amendment is backed by the second amendment.

The second amendment ensures the the third amendment will be enforced. "No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

The forth amendment is also protected by our second amendment.

My Colt 6724 is one the most accurate rifles I have. It will shoot sub MOA. Last time at the range I was shooting nine shot groups that you could cover with a nickel. Most of them could be covered with a dime. I try different ammo seeing what it liked. Damned if it didn't shoot everything realy good.

As far as self defense the AR platform is a great tool. Over penetration is a problem in nieghborhoods. But out in county, it is my go to rifle.

You take 3 riles in various states of disrepair and with minimal tools have a working rifle in under 45 minutes.

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

I didn't need one, as I had a 223 bolt for predators and varmits. I wanted that second shot a little faster, and I have used it many times on doubles. It took several years of thinking about it before I bought my first one. I love it. With the right reloads it is an efficient hunter, and at sub 3/4", I have no problems with it. Never use any 30 round mags. 5's and 10's only.

My grand kids liked to shoot it also so I bought a generic that someone built just to save mine and let them shoot the hard ball. Its about 1" at 100 yds. They enjoy shooting it.

I keep all of my bolt guns tuned, but I usually take the AR when I coyote hunt. Now I want a .204 Ruger upper for bobcats. Maybe a colapsible stock for the one that doesn't have one. Many options available. I like the big trigger gard for gloves. The two stage triggers I replaced are great. There are many options.

Good reasons I think...

Pack

OOPS!! Dratted double tap!! :angry:

I don't own an AR15. It just never was an attractive platform to me. I may soon purchase one just because it would cause Ms. Fienkenstien and Fritz Schumer to soil their Depends! :lol:

I HAVE owned AKs and SKSs that I really liked, but they have recently fallen into that afore mentioned swamp and subsequently sank to the bottom. They would REALLY have caused our gun grabbing friends to suffer a severe case of the fantodds, but alas they have passed along. That's my story and I won't change it!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I DO assert that if I want, (not need) an AR, it IS my devinely endowed right to possess one, and no paranoid, power hungry, gun grabbing politician or beaurocrat shall deny me that right!! :angry::angry:

I built two of them from stripped lower receivers and I like them because I customized them to my taste. They were fun to build and there fun to shoot.

I own one because just as I was getting out of the Navy I wanted a HK-91. Well at that time I was told there was a 2 year back order on HKs. So I started looking for something else. Not that I needed one. I like military rifles, and handguns. Have some of both. I have used it to shoot groundhogs with 5 round mag per state regs. Works just fine. Mostly just hunt steel now at cowboy shoots. I sometimes even hit them.

Dustin

Oh yes as Utah Bob said those CETMEs (HK-91s) are heavy and I am just a frail little guy of 6'2"

Archived