SASS Wire Forum

Why do you have a AR-15?

Snakebite

OK... so tell me why you have a AR-15

I have one and think it is neat. It is pretty accurate for what it is, but is by no means the most accurate gun in the stable, and certainly not my choice for hunting anything. I find it very difficult to mount properly on the shoulder. It just takes a couple of peeks at anyone shooting one from the shoulder to see that it was not made for shoulder mounting. As for the large magazines, I've never had to shoot at any game 30 times in my life. IMO there are not only better hunting guns, but also better hunting rounds than the .223. When it comes to a "Bed side" gun for home defense... I'd take my shotgun any day. Fact is, at least for the type of shooting that I do, it really is of little use.

So what is it good for? I find that it is a great gun for shooting offhand... using a good quality Red Dot sight or a laser sight you can walk through a close in area and do a pretty good job of blasting targets that you have little time to acquire, while still being able to put a round out at some distance when needed. I can't think of any gun that is better at this. However, I do very little of this type shooting.

So why do I have one? It keeps my SKS company and if I ever have the need to do more of that type of shooting, I will have the equipment and ammo to do it with. Being prepared is better than being left wanting.

Snakebite

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50 years of veterans trained with this rifle and know it like the back of their hand. It is very accurate for it's intended use and range. It is easily repaired. It is virtually GI Proof.

If I could own only one rifle, this would not be it. But, no one said I could only own one rifle!

As to home defense, it's hard to beat a shotgun in almost every situation.

USPSA 3 gun competition. Target shooting. Ive shot cmp matches. And because I can.

I have one for home defense right next to my 870...pick the right tool for the job....but I also use one for target shooting and 3 gun type matches. My son and I will be intending to start NM type shooting soon. They also have Garand Matches and Vintage Military bolt gun matches out there.

I also have one in my car loaded and ready to go for work. but that is a different gun and a diffrent purpose.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

50 years of veterans trained with this rifle and know it like the back of their hand. It is very accurate for it's intended use and range. It is easily repaired. It is virtually GI Proof.

If I could own only one rifle, this would not be it. But, no one said I could only own one rifle!

As to home defense, it's hard to beat a shotgun in almost every situation.

Amen... Brother Manatee...

That's why I have an M4 H2O Benelli... the most awesome firearm that I have EVER possessed.

But like a man wantin' "suspenders and a belt"... I also now have an AR.

ts

I only own them cheap until I can sell them dear. As you've observed they aren't much- designed and built by lowest bidder and the legacy is rife w/ inopportune failure.

I ditto that Binelli tho! Feller just had to have my last one...sigh...they'll make more.

Because they said I couldn't have one. Bought one just before the California ban. Shoulda bought 2, but couldn't afford it.

I like military weapons in general, but my cutoff had always been Korea. However, I handled a clone of a Model 604 M16A1 and wanted one. I don't have much use for what I call Blade Runner Guns: you know what I mean. But to each his own. My current project is an early Vietnam era kit includinh the AR 15, Stevens 520-30 pump shotgun (soon to look like a trench gun, mil-spec 1911, and correct web gear.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k229/rudybolla/My%20AR15%20Clone/IMG_5123.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k229/rudybolla/My%20AR15%20Clone/520-30inVietnam.jpg

Because I can. It is handy for popping turtles out of the stock ponds on a sunny afternoon and nice for shooting pigs. If you aren't in the ferral hog belt you don't know what a problem they are. When you get into a bunch of them rapid fire is the only way to make a difference in the pig population. Lots of pig hunters use a suppressor and .30cal sub-sonic ammo. I haven't gone that deep into pig hunting "yet".

Blackfoot :)

IF I had one, it's main purpose would be for any possible REVOLUTION, a purpose for which the design is ideal. I am not a poodle shooter for the simple reason that the female of the clan take a dim view of the practice, nor am I a prairie dog or gopher shooter. It is ideal for large volume shooting of those varmints.

Instead I have a CETME and see no reason not to stick with it. Anything the 223 can do the 308 can do better. Not as economically perhaps but in lethality and range the 308 is hands down superior.

The basic rifle went into my safe 31 years ago its been upgraded over the years with the things that I thought it needed. It's not the most accurate 223 I have but it's very very close. In my part of the country we have creatures called "jack rabbits" and this is the real deal at running jack's at 1 to 2 hundred yards. It's also my wife's favorite rifle and equipped with a five round magazine she has taken antelope at resaonable ranges with it all with one shot. Like my M1-A and the M1 I have them because I like them not because I have a specfic reason or a job for them to do. I guess using that logic I should dump the 475 nitro express as well, not many elephants in Utah but its fun and I like it.

Your mileage may vary

IF I had one, it's main purpose would be for any possible REVOLUTION, a purpose for which the design is ideal. I am not a poodle shooter for the simple reason that the female of the clan take a dim view of the practice, nor am I a prairie dog or gopher shooter. It is ideal for large volume shooting of those varmints.

Instead I have a CETME and see no reason not to stick with it. Anything the 223 can do the 308 can do better. Not as economically perhaps but in lethality and range the 308 is hands down superior.

I don't hunt either. And I'm not anticipating a revolution.

The little black rifle is fun to shoot. And fun is my middle name. :)

BTW, our CETME will do just fine in a revolution? ;)

I was issued an M16A1 when I was 18 years old at Fort Knox, KY. First military rifle I ever used. Carried the thing, drilled with it and slept with it. It was fun to shoot, easy to maintain and field strip. Bought my first private AR15 in the early 1980s. I now have several in various configurations, with the historic name of COLT.

Holding a black powder frame COLT SAA brings a smile to my face. I get the same feeling holding a COLT AR-15/M4. It's an American Tradition.

All right Snakebite. I'm going to respond with a question. Why is this even an issue? If I have one, it's because I wanted one. Plain and simple. We should need no other reason than that. The 2nd Amendment is there as a final deterrence to tyranny. It's the last line of defense. As a result, we the citizens should be able to own any arms that the govt. owns so that we can protect ourselves in the event it's necessary. Yes, that means M16 rifles, it means mortars, RPG's, artillary, F16 jets, tanks, etc. We've put up with illegal infringements for far too long.

OK... so tell me why you have a AR-15

I have one and think it is neat. It is pretty accurate for what it is, but is by no means the most accurate gun in the stable, and certainly not my choice for hunting anything. I find it very difficult to mount properly on the shoulder. It just takes a couple of peeks at anyone shooting one from the shoulder to see that it was not made for shoulder mounting. As for the large magazines, I've never had to shoot at any game 30 times in my life. IMO there are not only better hunting guns, but also better hunting rounds than the .223. When it comes to a "Bed side" gun for home defense... I'd take my shotgun any day. Fact is, at least for the type of shooting that I do, it really is of little use.

So what is it good for? I find that it is a great gun for shooting offhand... using a good quality Red Dot sight or a laser sight you can walk through a close in area and do a pretty good job of blasting targets that you have little time to acquire, while still being able to put a round out at some distance when needed. I can't think of any gun that is better at this. However, I do very little of this type shooting.

So why do I have one? It keeps my SKS company and if I ever have the need to do more of that type of shooting, I will have the equipment and ammo to do it with. Being prepared is better than being left wanting.

Snakebite

And, why do you care?? I'm not a criminal, a felon, domestically violent, or mentally impaired. Your asking the question itself and, some of your comments and "observations", do nothing but feed the antis'.

So, why DO you care?

I have no need for one.

No want for one.

Really no place around close to shoot it if i did.

So I don't.

But will fight for your right to have one if you want one.

Except for the little M&P 1522 (AR style .22)

It's fun and cheap and I can shoot it out in the back yard. :rolleyes:

I'm cleaning up all my internet disclosures.

I lost my Colt 6920 in a swamp. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My wife's kinfolk are all Cajuns in south Louisiana, so I may have to use that swamp as well someday.. ;)

I dont have one and I dont want one.

I dont care for the assault rifles of any style .

But I will stand and fight for the right to own one.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I have two

one is a 308'the second is a .223, 6.8SPC, and a 450 Bushmaster

all are hunters

neatest thing sliced bread

with the exception of the 308, all I have to do is swap out the upper.

and they all feel exactly the same !!! What else is there to want.

three point sling and hit the woods. Easiests toten hunting firearm I have ever owned . PERIOD !!

and accurate to boot !

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

And I'm not anticipating a revolution.

Well... I am. Like the Arab Revolution... it will slowly expand with a subliminal... unanswered question about "WHY?"... and increasingly expand into a ravin' crescendo. Unperceptively, it will be nurtured into a whisper. Shortly after the "Debt Cealing" debate... the cries will rise exponentially. Once it starts... there is no turnin' back.

When will the event mature between "whisper and maturity"... nobody knows. Days... or months. But it will happen.

But when it finally happens, "Katie bar the door".

Those that ain't got... (food, safety, water... etc.)... will try to get... with or without the owners' permissions.

Folks ARE gonna feed their kids... no matter what. Safety will be thrown aside.

ts

An AR is to rifles/carbines what a 1911 is to pistols … it is a generic firearm.

Neither may be the “best” in either world but there are a slew of parts available … from many manufacturers’ … etc … a lot of variety … pretty inexpensive too (a bunch of potential buyers for any part anyone wants to make).

Want an adjustable stock … bolt it on … want a folding stock … bolt it on … want a big trigger guard to use with gloves put it on … anything you want … anyway you want it.

You can build a lower (or many) and have a bunch of different uppers … or get out your wrench and change the barrel in a few min … put a red dot on it and have a blast … or put a high power scope w/ a tripod on and have a blast … whatever!!

There are plenty of venues to compete with the firearm as well … Put a 22lr or 9mm or any other pistol caliber and go shoot a shotgun/carbine match … or … put a centerfire upper on and go shoot a regular rifle/carbine match … (use your red dot the first place … use your 1-4x illuminated reticle scope at the second) … bawaaa … (easy to clean too ... pop two pins and dip) ...

Having a weapon so versatile allows you to use it at a bunch more venues and enjoy it … smithing/building/shooting etc (and it’s fun to change magazines on a high round count cof/stage) … AND … most of the regular AR caliber ammo is used in such high volume there are always deals that make it pretty cheap to shoot even if you don’t reload.

I have cowboy guns but I wouldn’t bother if I didn’t have a venue to use them … really get to know them and enjoy them in the same manner (it gets old if you just have them to pull out and show at barbecues).

I think (unfortunately) most people buy a gun … shoot a few rounds out of a box of ammo and put the gun away forever … a shame indeed.

I would hate to see the AR get stepped on just because an over-the-counter version got miss-used by a few dummies … but … I guess we will see.

IMHO as always … Pete :lol:/>

And, why do you care?? I'm not a criminal, a felon, domestically violent, or mentally impaired. Your asking the question itself and, some of your comments and "observations", do nothing but feed the antis'.

So, why DO you care?

BS! Where did that crap come from? :rolleyes:

LG

Archived