SASS Wire Forum

how much land needed to shoot?

Trigger Mike

I guess it would depend on where you live.We shoot at my house a lot and have no complaints,I don't live in the city but don't live in the country .I have about acer and a 1/4.We have metal targets and a berm.We do shoot some hunting loads in our pistols.

Also what are you going to shoot. A shotgun requires much less room than a center fire rifle or even a .22LR.

A .22LR makes much less noise than a shot gun or a centerfire.

I think I would consult the local authorities to determine what I needed in the way of land and cash and bonds. I am certain that most local bandits, er politicians would want a bond or insurance guarantees.

I can "safely" shoot in my living room

Wife prefers I don't though. ;)

The NRA has info on range construction and min safety distances but if your jurisdiction prohibits discharge of firearms like some do, that won't help much.

It all depends on the location and local laws.

I'm lucky we have no such ordinances here.

I aks as I am thinking of moving and buying land. Where I plan to move does not generally mind shooting, but I figure it is best to plan for the future and figure out how much distance deadens the sound enough to not be a bother and in flat country how much distance is safe though I plan on bringing in a load of dirt. I'd mostly shoot a garand. a 22, and stuff like that.

Hi Mike,

I guess you got your answer, :unsure:/> "it depends." ;)/> Here, in my little piece of "heaven," 10 acres will do it and that is in California. ^_^/> My five closest neighbors shoot on their property. The other properties are either uninhabited or one is a huge cattle grazing land.

Remember folks, not all CA counties are the same, nor are all Californians. :blink:/>

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS When we lived in downtown Sacramento, we would have parties with target shooting and pool games in the basement. Yes, really. I was always too busy with the blender to participate, ;)/> so I don't know what type of gun was used; Badlands Bud might remember. :)/>

It depends on the topography, altitude, prevailing winds and most importantly the proximity and attitude of your neighbors. Around here most everybody hunts and gunshots can be heard anytime of the day. Doesn't bother anybody.

I can "safely" shoot in my living room

Wife prefers I don't though. wink.gif

The NRA has info on range construction and min safety distances but if your jurisdiction prohibits discharge of firearms like some do, that won't help much.

It all depends on the location and local laws.

I'm lucky we have no such ordinances here.

Well, I wood hope so.........da sound echoin' in der wood be deafin' !

Got 20 acres in Texas. My closest neighbor is my brother-in-law, who shoots, and my next closest neighbor is a FFL holder. :)/>

Here in WA, we have 6 acres, hilly, wooded, a great, safe place to shoot, but it is illegal because of ordinances. :(/>

Got 20 acres in Texas. My closest neighbor is my brother-in-law, who shoots, and my next closest neighbor is a FFL holder. :)/>

Here in WA, we have 6 acres, hilly, wooded, a great, safe place to shoot, but it is illegal because of ordinances. :(/>

Hi Mike,

I guess you got your answer, unsure.gif/> "it depends." wink.gif/> Here, in my little piece of "heaven," 10 acres will do it and that is in California. happy.gif/> My five closest neighbors shoot on their property. The other properties are either uninhabited or one is a huge cattle grazing land.

Remember folks, not all CA counties are the same, nor are all Californians. blink.gif/>

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS When we lived in downtown Sacramento, we would have parties with target shooting and pool games in the basement. Yes, really. I was always too busy with the blender to participate, wink.gif/> so I don't know what type of gun was used; Badlands Bud might remember. smile.gif/>

Miss Allie mo (no E ),

Did y'all shoot da "Holy Black " or dat heathen smokeless ?

Spect ya don't know...tendin' bar an all......................

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

How much land do you need to own to safely shoot and avoid upsetting the local noise ordnance?

What ordinance... how is that written?

'Round here... we are constantly blowin' out tree stumps with southern thunder... or fertilizer discharges. Sometimes... just cause we all bored as heck. Also... durin' Independence day stuff... we shoot anvils for height.

All that's kinda noisy... but law stopped comin' round long ago. Just glad they ain't got a "earthquake" ordinance.

ts

Honey!

Sorry, no "Holy Black" nor ceegars allowed inside my house. ph34r.gifwink.gif

Regards,

Allie Ni

Darlin !

Ya know it aint to late to repeat yur ways !

All you technically need is to be 50 yards from a roadway in unincorporated Georgia. Municipalities can enact ordinances against shooting in the city limits but counties cannot. However if where or how you are shooting in dangerous, it would fall under Reckless Conduct. About 1991, Georgia passed a law that basically voided all county ordinances restricting shooting. Now only state law is enforceable in unincorporated areas of the state. Hope this helps.

No problem out here. I'm 4 miles off of pavement and my nearest neighbor's ranch house (not counting my foreman) is about 20 miles southeast of my house. With 6.25 Sections +/- of deeded land and another 9 Sections of BLM leased land, got lots of room to shoot. In fact if you turn off all of our lights, you can see no evidence of any artificial light 360 degrees to the horizon. Shooting here doesn't even scare the cows. When they hear me pop off a few rounds, they come runnin' thinking I've got some fresh hay for them. And people think all cows are stupid.

No problem out here. I'm 4 miles off of pavement and my nearest neighbor's ranch house (not counting my foreman) is about 20 miles southeast of my house. With 6.25 Sections +/- of deeded land and another 9 Sections of BLM leased land, got lots of room to shoot. In fact if you turn off all of our lights, you can see no evidence of any artificial light 360 degrees to the horizon. Shooting here doesn't even scare the cows. When they hear me pop off a few rounds, they come runnin' thinking I've got some fresh hay for them. And people think all cows are stupid.

"Ya don't work cattle.....cattle work you !"

How far out does a 3006 travel if fired at a 45 degree angle over a berm

According to THIS, about 3 1/4 miles at the optimum angle. However, I believe the optimum angle for a projectile to travel the maximum distance is somewhat less than 45°.

Ya need at least this much room :rolleyes:/>/>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lY--yTbgjcs

Slide your chair a notch to the right, Darlin'. There ain't no such person as Allie NI!!! laugh.gif

Noticed dat two 4T.

Maybe dat's her twin sister ?

I've got 9 acres here in north San Diego county. I'm always test firing something in the back yard and the only person it seems to bother is Mrs. Lose. With her it's easier to apologize and ask for forgiveness than permission to do it in the first place. My neighbors do more shooting than I do and no one seems to care. I did fire a round into the door of my shop one day and Mrs. lose showed up before I could get it covered. That was a tough one to explain. A sheriffs deputy showed up one day on a complaint about my neighbors dogs running loose and saw the bullet hole and asked if my wife yelled at me for it. I said yes she did and he said so did mine.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Noticed dat two 4T.

Maybe dat's her twin sister ?

No... Hawk... yore wrong.

Allie Mo's sisters are... Allie Curly and Allie Larry.

(A.M.... just joshin' with ya, perty woman!)

ts

I have 2.5 acres with about a 50 foot rise in one direction. I would be comfortable opening up a space among the treesand putting some targets in.

I just sold a 12.5 acre piece upstate, it is 300-500' wide and 1400' long. I always thought I could shoot there if I built a house. I was happy to hear the buyer saythat he would put a private gun range in.

It depends on the topography, altitude, prevailing winds and most importantly the proximity and attitude of your neighbors. Around here most everybody hunts and gunshots can be heard anytime of the day. Doesn't bother anybody.

Yup...

GG

According to THIS, about 3 1/4 miles at the optimum angle. However, I believe the optimum angle for a projectile to travel the maximum distance is somewhat less than 45°.

That helps. Basically for a worst case scenario, flat land, no trees, which does not exist out here, around 30 acres back should allow room for an optimum flight of a 3006. All others fall short within that space. IN some parts of south GA you can get land for 1k an acre, certainly less than 2k an acre.

I did some training at Blackwater in North Carolina. Any round launched from any of their ranges lands on their property (8600 acres).

The property's entrance is in a county that did not want a firing range. The ranges are in the next county.

:ph34r:/> :ph34r:/>

Archived