SASS Wire Forum

Buying before the ban....

Perhaps a day late, I decided to look for an AR-15 style rifle. But the shelves around here are bare, or perhaps contain a few oddities.

My local dealer took me aside when he saw my obvious frustration, and quietly showed me a MA compliant Colt AR-15 (fixed stock, removeable handle, 9 round magazine)that his wholesaler had stumbled upon; he offered to hold it for me for a day or two to allow me some time to consider it.

The price is a bit steep - $1800. I can't find this model on the Colt site, but that's higher than anything listed on their 2012 price list(other than some fancy match versions). The sights and forestock are not the configuration I wanted (I favor the S&W rifle with the Magpul sights and quad rail), and the front sight is not removable. But it does have a chrome lined barrel....

But, I'm reluctant to let it go by, in case supply does not improve before somebody makes it impossible to buy at all.

What's your best read? Would you wait for new inventory, or grab it?

The little voice inside me is saying "Don't be silly; wait for what you want." I've never bought a gun that I was not excited about, and this one does not give me goose bumps.

LL

On occassion the frenzied mob is right.... but, not often enough to be on the same side. Baron Von Rothchilds was famous for saying "buy when there is blood in the streets" or another way is to say, "buy when there is no longer hope- only fear."

The opposite is true... sell when everyone just gotta have one....like now. If you have money then you'll always be able to buy. The real money is always made on the buy side not the sell side. And if the ban does happen then take your time and wait until someone that just had to have another to add to his 25 needs the cash.

"It's different this time." are the 5 most dangerous words ever said on Wall Street.

Good luck... just sold my last one at $2500...paid $650 after the last ban lifted. If the gun world comes to an end then I'll have to shoot '73's I guess. :o/>/>

Perhaps a day late, I decided to look for an AR-15 style rifle. But the shelves around here are bare, or perhaps contain a few oddities.

My local dealer took me aside when he saw my obvious frustration, and quietly showed me a MA compliant Colt AR-15 (fixed stock, removeable handle, 9 round magazine)that his wholesaler had stumbled upon; he offered to hold it for me for a day or two to allow me some time to consider it.

The price is a bit steep - $1800. I can't find this model on the Colt site, but that's higher than anything listed on their 2012 price list(other than some fancy match versions). The sights and forestock are not the configuration I wanted (I favor the S&W rifle with the Magpul sights and quad rail), and the front sight is not removable. But it does have a chrome lined barrel....

But, I'm reluctant to let it go by, in case supply does not improve before somebody makes it impossible to buy at all.

The little voice inside me is saying "Don't be silly; wait for what you want." I've never bought a gun that I was not excited about, and this one does not give me goose bumps.

LL

"The price is a bit steep" tells it like it is and will be from now on. Panic buyers, our own goverment, and our own "buddies" riding the latest panic to extract the max profit from their sales. I fear the black rifles are headed for another (and permenent) ban, and possibly even being outlawed for private use.

I sure do hope I am wrong here.

Al

On occassion the frenzied mob is right.... but, not often enough to be on the same side. Baron Von Rothchilds was famous for saying "buy when there is blood in the streets" or another way is to say, "buy when there is no longer hope- only fear."

The opposite is true... sell when everyone just gotta have one....like now. If you have money then you'll always be able to buy. The real money is always made on the buy side not the sell side. And if the ban does happen then take your time and wait until someone that just had to have another to add to his 25 needs the cash.

"It's different this time." are the 5 most dangerous words ever said on Wall Street.

Good luck... just sold my last one at $2500...paid $650 after the last ban lifted. If the gun world comes to an end then I'll have to shoot '73's I guess. :o/>/>/>

That's about the best advice I've ever seen concerning panic buys!

That's just not going to happen because it can't be enforced. What CAN be enforced is a tax stamp and registration and penalty for those not in compliance along with no private transfers and penalties for illegal, unsecured use.

So what's the really mean? If you have a Class III (auto) then it has to be properly registered or the penalty is a felony. Then the stamp has to be paid and repaid. Now, let's say you have 20 AR's... want to keep them and shoot them? Fine, then pay the BATF $100-200-300 each and be sure the paperwork is in order or you better have a safe and never shoot it. And, when you go to sell it, then how will you do that without a FFL and proper papers?

DIdn't say you couldn't have one, Mr. Citizen, but you say your kid shot out the neighbors cat house? Hmmm.... here's your summons. Now, how many can I sell you? Because my view is that when Jonny 6pack figures out his tax bill his wife won't think he really needs 15 of them.

I'd say you have answered your own question.

Maybe it's me but.......

I find little about AR's exciting after shooting one. Sure, I'd like to have one. But what excites me and what I would much rather have is a match grade M1A (or Garand). To be quite honest, it sure does make ya feel more like a man. Maybe thats because it feels more like a battle rifle.

Or buy a good 1911 or a Freedom Arms (or Linebaugh) revolver or a custom built bolt rifle. Heck, even a 38-55 lever would be more enjoyable than an AR15. Any of the mentioned (and many others) would tickle me. I think the hysteria has driven folks to buying something they normally wouldn't and for some reason, just one is not enough.

I believe now is the time to sell.

Well,

Ya' hafta ask yourself, do I think you'll ever really need and AR15,

AND if gun-grabbers pass their "Turn-in-your-AR's" law, are you willing to fight for your right to keep it,

Or just say "Baaaaah" and give your property to them with no recompense. :ph34r:

LL

All that dealer is do'n is line'n HIS pocket on a VERY over-priced rifle.

BTW, good luck find'n any .223/5.56mm ammo.

LG

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I am... happy. My woman bought me a DPMS as a present... ahh... shucks. How did she know?

(It don't matter... it appears that (like always) it works out that I am gonna pay for it.)

ts

Bought an AR on election day.

Shoulda bought 2

or 3. ;)/>

How will the current hysteria shake out? If I knew that I'd go get a lotto ticket.

Some people think everything will go straight to hell.

Some think things will simmer down and be just fine.

My gut tells me things will be different in the forseeable future. Who knows? But I think AR prices will continue to rise for the next few months.

People are paying hundreds of bucks for hi cap mags.

Shoulda bought more of those too. :rolleyes:/>

Don't think I've ever met anyone who had 'enough' when prices are going up. On the other hand... :o/>

Yep. Around here, the only AR's you can find are .22's....and darn few of those.

People are paying hundreds of bucks for hi cap mags.

Shoulda bought more of those too. :rolleyes:/>/>

No doubt... a friend pointed out to me on Ebay... I saw where a pack of ten Pmags... went for $1,000.

shhhhiiiite.

ts

Makes me wonder if i should sell my colt ar22

Depends,

Do you want to ever have a semi-auto .22 again? They're NOT going to stop at high-power rifles this time, Feinkinstein want's to ban ALL semi-autos (for now, then the rest later).

That's my big regret. I've got 30-round mags for my AR15 clone, but neglected to buy any 20-rounders for my M1A because I thought $40-odd dollars apiece was highway robbery. That was a year ago. Haven't had the testicular fortitude to price 'em now! :wacko::o:blink:

Too much risk right now. If the price were under a thousand, then the reward (higher prices later) might be worth it. Now, it's a high price and a risk, either in outright confiscation or NFA designation with associated costs. Ditto for the ammo and mags. Plus, you, like me, live in a very restrictive state. When NJ outlawed pre ban ARs you had a choice of turning them in or moving them out of state, which many people did. But going to PA to visit your rifle became a drag and most were sold.

That's my big regret. I've got 30-round mags for my AR15 clone, but neglected to buy any 20-rounders for my M1A because I thought $40-odd dollars apiece was highway robbery. That was a year ago. Haven't had the testicular fortitude to price 'em now! :wacko:/> :o/> :blink:/>

At least you have an M1A.

Sportsman's Guide says their Thermold M14 mags will be in on Jan 21st and ship within 24 hours to you. $17.99

IMHO, this is a "between a rock and a hard place" situation..Does one go out and spend a huge chunk of cash for a rifle that they might wind up having to turn in? If the ban list guns that are already out there aren't grandfathered in then it's unlikely they will compensate the owners for them as they simply can't afford to..We're already too deep in debt..The frenzy seems to be settling down some, but I have a bad feeling that the polytickos in power already had plans for more restrictive guns laws even before these latest shootings ever happened..Now they have what they can use as a "legitimate reason"..Sad times indeed, and not only for gun owners but the future of the entire country on so many levels.. :(

That IS a high price, but will you get another chance to buy one at all? And if you do, will you get to keep it? Like I said, a rock and a hard place..One thing to consider, if it's a Colt there should be a plentiful supply of spare parts out there, and I think a lot of the Bushmaster parts are interchangeable with the Colt..

Dang,I can remember going to gun shows back in the 80's and seeing new Colt ARs for $400.00..Those days are over though!

I'd say wait for a while,

At the Federal level, I don't think any major ban will make it through the House and Senate, there are a number of Demorcratic Senators up for re-election in 2014 that live in pro-gun states. Additionally, Harry Reid likes being Senate Majority leader and I expect that any stringent gun control bill that passes will cost the Democrats the Senate in 2014 and may cost Harry Reid his seat in 2016 if he chooses to run again.

At the State level you will have to decide if MA is going to pass more restrictive laws and if it is worth it to you to pay above market value for a gun whose ammo and accessories are no longer cheap.

Sure...wanted an AR at one time.....but am content with my Mini-14. ;)

They will be available in the future again for a grand... will get one then.

GG

Good luck... just sold my last one at $2500...paid $650 after the last ban lifted. If the gun world comes to an end then I'll have to shoot '73's I guess. :o/>/>/>

Hello Brother... hope you are farin' well...

The problem is... there are a lot of shoes that could drop off of this centipede. "Event Risks"... there seems to be more of the potential problems facin' our nation... than have been hangin' out there for a long time. Iran... Israel... Syria... China & Japan... Russia... Greece... Spain... Italy... Euro worries... Al Qaeda... Pakistan... United Nations treaties... Taliban... strikes... State & Local bankruptcies... unfunded liabilities... unemployment... draught... catastrophes... etc.

When the guns stop sellin'... on account of "Executive Order"... with no challenge from the gut-less opposition in D.C.... then there will be no AR's out there.

My woman bought my DPMS... slightly used with less than 200 rds through it... for a great price. Local dealor called her before the Sandy Hook tragedy. But I bet I could not get it for that price just now. Today... just went to buy some ammo... the dealor's shelves is absolutely bare of semi-autos.

However... you got guns... and I would hate to be a perp violatin' yore premises.

We are all... luckier than most.

ts

Sure...wanted an AR at one time.....but am content with my Mini-14. ;)/>

GG

You should not be just... CONTENT. The Mini-14 is an outstandin' firearm. Nothin' an AR can do... that a Mini-14 can't. It just looks different... but so does an AK... an H&K... a Benelli... etc. Mini-s have never stayed on the shelves long 'round here... farmers like 'em alot.

You should be proud of that firearm.

ts

Archived