SASS Wire Forum

Django Unchained

Carlos Murphy # 873

Went to the movies last night to see the latest offering from Quentin Tarantino, not disappointed in the least.

Django Unchained, OUT STANDING !!! Loved all the characters, filled with action and blood,

guns and horses, loved it!

Carlos Murphy

The raiders wearing hoods, that was a hoot... :wub:

Went to the movies last night to see the latest offering from Quentin Tarantino, not disappointed in the least.

Django Unchained, OUT STANDING !!! Loved all the characters, filled with action and blood,

guns and horses, loved it!

Carlos Murphy

The raiders wearing hoods, that was a hoot... :wub:/>/>

Glad there is another Good Western to watch as soon as it comes out on DVD

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I know it's just a movie, but is it anywhere near real as far as pre-Civil War?

It seems sorta BS by the TV previews.

Just askin',

MG

Some good and some not-so-good reviews of Django in other topic threads.

Personally, I am expecting to see the typical Quentin Tarantino movie, which I enjoy by the way. I have to watch it in light of his style. His movies to me are very much like adult comic books and they are sometimes humorous, illogical, not authentic (how about the clock chiming in Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar?), unrealistic and so on. They are not serious drama. I know that, but I find his movies hugely entertaining anyway.

It would be nice if he matured out of that rut and showed us what he can really do. I think he could take a genre like romantic comedy and create a masterpiece. I also think he can do serious drama or science fiction if he wanted to. I think he is a focused film maker.

I'm gonna go see Django.

Cat Brules

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I just watched the vidoe on the other thread.

Now I will NEVER watch that movie. :angry:

MG

Jamie Foxx is a blatant racist who is another "moron voter". I will not be party to anyone like that.

Fillmore

Some good and some not-so-good reviews of Django in other topic threads.

Personally, I am expecting to see the typical Quentin Tarantino movie, which I enjoy by the way. I have to watch it in light of his style. His movies to me are very much like adult comic books and they are sometimes humorous, illogical, not authentic (how about the clock chiming in Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar?), unrealistic and so on. They are not serious drama. I know that, but I find his movies hugely entertaining anyway.

It would be nice if he matured out of that rut and showed us what he can really do. I think he could take a genre like romantic comedy and create a masterpiece. I also think he can do serious drama or science fiction if he wanted to. I think he is a focused film maker.

I'm gonna go see Django.

Bingo! Well said.

Carlos Murphy

Cat Brules

Howdy,

I just HAD to go see this because it is a western, well sort of...

There is a lot of nword could be a thousand of em.

Django is a lazer perfect shot, never wastes a bullet Really?

The year is 1858, they make a point of putting it up on the screen

and everyone in the movie has a repeating rifle, Right?

And in 1858 Mr Nobel, the inventor of dynamite would have been 11 years old.

(he was born in 1847)

There are a few funny scenes.

I doubt I will buy my own copy.

And very bloody.

And I just didnt buy the romance. Sure no fire there.

I was lucky to see it at a good discount, and it just had a bite to eat

so I spent zero on snax.

Sure no Pulp Fiction.....

Best

CR

Won't see it in the theatre, but the DVD most likely....per Yul Lose on another thread "The Cowboys member in the movie is Bodie #601 I believe. He also was in Cowboys and Aliens."

So I will watch it to support him ;)/>

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

Cartridge guns included 1872 opentops, 1873 colts, various lever rifles, Remington double derringer, none of which were around in 1858. I'll bet somebody had to restrain them to keep a Gatling gun out of there. Cool looking sunglasses, B-Western cowboy hats.

I'm a Tarantino fan, and this is his worst movie ever; the dialogue and music were unexceptional at best.

Special effects such as riding thru buffalo and antelope herds were amateurish.

The use of the N-word was appropriate to the situation.

Prepare to be disappointed, but it's still entertaining if you like QT films.

I was underwhelmed. Fortunately I saw it on an afternoon too cold to shoot using a discount ticket. The sound track - worst I've heard in years. Acting by major characters was wooden and with poor dialog. The best acting was by Foxx's horse. The firearms were all shiney and new and probably were unpacked from Cabelas the day of filming. You also have to believe 1858 Remmies have explosive firepower. If mine had that much impact I could shoot a Plainsman match, hit a knockdown target on the hinge and blow the target clear over the back berm. Of well, I escaped an afternoon of household chores.

:FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/>

I know it's just a movie, but is it anywhere near real as far as pre-Civil War?

It seems sorta BS by the TV previews.

Just askin',

MG

Haven’t seen it…..I’m torn. But really aren't most of western full of mistakes? Most have the wrong guns, wrong clothes, and all kinds of issues....the worst were the old ones from the 50's & 60's.....IMO they are getting better now than ever but don’t lose sight it's just a movie not a history documentary.

I don't really care if the guns are period correct or over-powered. I don't mind if it has gratuitous violence, language or nudity. I wanted to see it (it IS a western...sorta) until I heard JF's racist remarks. Won't watch it now as I refuse to support anybody I know feels this way.

If we don't stand for right, who will?

Possum

Jamie Foxx is a blatant racist who is another "moron voter". I will not be party to anyone like that.

Fillmore

I fully agree with you on this one. Now if Jamie Foxx gave me all the money he makes from this movie I might think about watching the trailer which I fast forward through or change channels each time I see it.

• 4 weeks later...

Cartridge guns included 1872 opentops, 1873 colts, various lever rifles, Remington double derringer, none of which were around in 1858. I'll bet somebody had to restrain them to keep a Gatling gun out of there. Cool looking sunglasses, B-Western cowboy hats.

I'm a Tarantino fan, and this is his worst movie ever; the dialogue and music were unexceptional at best.

Special effects such as riding thru buffalo and antelope herds were amateurish.

The use of the N-word was appropriate to the situation.

Prepare to be disappointed, but it's still entertaining if you like QT films.

As to the guns, an internet search indicates that "the guns seen in the movie" consist of the following:

Pistols

1.1 Cobra "Big Bore" Derringer

1.2 Remington 1858 New Army

1.3 Colt 1851 Navy

1.4 Colt Dragoon

Shotguns

2.1 Double Barrelled Muzzle-loading Shotgun

Rifles

3.1 Sharps Rifle

3.2 Henry 1860

3.3 Enfield Pattern 1856 Cavalry Carbine

3.4 Remington 1858 ("Cattleman's Carbine")

You can argue the Period Correctness of several of them, I suppose, but I surely didn't see any "cartridge pistols" like '72 Open Tops, '73 Colts, etc. Henry 1860 was credited as being a "stand-in" for the Volcanic Repeater, its immediate predecessor.

Okay, here's the deal. Despite one's feelings about MM. Tarantino and Fox, this flick has made $146,295,000 at the box office and is up for 5 oscars.

This may convince some studios to make another western or two.

And that, as far as I'm concerned, is not a bad thing. ;)

Okay, here's the deal. Despite one's feelings about MM. Tarantino and Fox, this flick has made $146,295,000 at the box office and is up for 5 oscars.

This may convince some studios to make another western or two.

And that, as far as I'm concerned, is not a bad thing. ;)/>

That depends on what they want to do. I still say if we keep going to crappy westerns, they will continue making crappy westerns. However, if we show a lot of interest in westerns like "Open Range", they might try making more GOOD westerns.

I saw it....totally unimpressed. Save your money for more ammo....

Bugler

That depends on what they want to do. I still say if we keep going to crappy westerns, they will continue making crappy westerns. However, if we show a lot of interest in westerns like "Open Range", they might try making more GOOD westerns.

But how many Open Range have there been since 2003?

I can't wait that long.

I have enjoyed Tarantino's movies in the past, but after reading that Fox is in this one, I am not going to see it.

Personally, I found Open Range offensive. It carried a distinct black and white (not racial), liberal message, while trying to masquerade as a self rightous, David and Goliath story. (It would be as if my neighbor up the canyon decided unilaterally to tun some cows down the road and onto my property because I had plenty of grass and he'd overgrazed his own place.) The very idea of an overbearing local rancher, being the threat that he was in the movie, was ridiculous and straight out of a Gene Autry ganster movie, but without the entertainment. Furthermore, it was authentic to a point, but flawed in many ways. The romantic aspect was contrived. I could go on, but truthfully, to me, the worst of it in my view was Kevin Costner, who plays these sickeningly sweet, quiet-but-strong, good-guy roles that come off like an ice cream cone on the sidewalk on a hot day. That's about the limit of Costner's acting skills. That style even bled over into Robert Duvall's performance, which I found weak, as well. I liked the acting by Annette Benning, James Russo and the guy (first name??) Coates who played the hired gunman character.

Saw it, never will see it again. I didn't hate it but once is enough for this flick.

Rye

Sugah and I loved it. Not realistic, but equally realistic compared to any B Western using 27 shooter Colts shooting pistols out of the hands of the bad men. I think QT does things sometimes just to make people say "That was fake!" Radical example: When the sister gets blown backwards.

As far as Jamie Foxx: I'm not surprised in the least that a black man can say things that a Caucasian man could not. Watch any black, Hispanic, or Asian stand up comedian and imagine a Caucasian saying the same words. That's not going to happen! After all, we're living in a politically correct society. If I have to wait for a movie where my views are parallel to all the actors, I'd never be able to see another movie. Have we forgotten that Charlton Heston was typically surrounded by liberals? I doubt he ever imagined when he campaigned for equal rights that it would lead to reverse discrimination.

Film makers will produce films that people pay to see. If we don't want more westerns, all we do is fail to support the ones being made. We went to see Cowboys and Aliens and when the Lone Ranger comes out, we'll go see it. When the remake of True Grit came out, we went to see it. I bought the DVD last week. I'm enjoying the new westerns. More! More! More!

If you look at it as being some sort of satire it isn't that bad. If you are looking for realism, you won't find all that much. My wife and I saw it as we took the kids to another movie with some friends and didn't want to watch a kiddie move, so we went next door and watched Django. At least it was the cheaper matinee. I LOVED Open Range. Costner was better in that than Dances with Wolves, and WAY better than Waterworld and The Postman or Mailman or whatever that movie was.

Pardon my ignorance, but I have not heard about Jamie Foxx's racist remarks.

Can someone point me in the direction of a link to those remarks?

Yep, I really like Tarantino, but this is one movie I will have no part of. Movie ticket, DVD or Blu-ray. Foxx will have none of my hard earned money.

Pardon my ignorance, but I have not heard about Jamie Foxx's racist remarks.

Can someone point me in the direction of a link to those remarks?

You asked for it!

Try this one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCBNho9Kak

Here is a preview ----Jamie Foxx: Killing All White People is a Great Thing

Ain't seen it, ain't gonna....Don't support Foxx or the assumption that overwhelming movie violence does not affect anybody. Man has to have some principles....western or not....

Archived