SASS Wire Forum

Someone is warped

Subdeacon Joe

I'm either slow or sleepy. All I saw was a pile of snow in what appears to be the median.

I have the same problem, but to me that pile of snow looks like someone went out and roughly sculpted it into the shape of a small sedan.

Joe,

You have it listed as a Lee Vining shot - a very small Northern CA town on US 395 near Mono Lake on the way to Reno. Maybe a car was stranded in the median and the snow and snowplows covered it? Not unusual to see that up that way on my winter trips up and down 395?

Harvey

Joe,

You have it listed as a Lee Vining shot - a very small Northern CA town on US 395 near Mono Lake on the way to Reno. Maybe a car was stranded in the median and the snow and snowplows covered it? Not unusual to see that up that way on my winter trips up and down 395?

Harvey

The webcam is operated by the Mono Lake Committee (something like that) and per their stamp is in Lee Vining. Given how straight the sides are, I don't think it is a stranded car in the median. Heck, if it was stranded, why not push it the 20 yards or so to that gas station?

Here is the site I get the links from: http://www.tranquilityimages.com/cams.shtml

The webcam is operated by the Mono Lake Committee (something like that) and per their stamp is in Lee Vining. Given how straight the sides are, I don't think it is a stranded car in the median. Heck, if it was stranded, why not push it the 20 yards or so to that gas station?

Here is the site I get the links from: http://www.tranquilityimages.com/cams.shtml

Joe,

Thanks for the original link, the photo is much larger. IIRC, the road there is 4 lane without a median, speed limit 35 (most thru traffic is going nearer 45 in good conditions).

The picture appears to show two plowed lanes on the near side, one plowed lane on the far side. Seems the "stranded vehicle" may really be in the left lane and maybe it was stranded there in the original, heavy snowstorm (not unusual in the area)? Also note the smaller snow pile further to the left in the same lane. I may be wrong, but I do not see this as a prank.

Just guessing, and we are likely over-thinking/over-analyzing this photo......? :P:lol:

Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

Harvey

Joe,

Thanks for the original link, the photo is much larger. IIRC, the road there is 4 lane without a median, speed limit 35 (most thru traffic is going nearer 45 in good conditions).

The picture appears to show two plowed lanes on the near side, one plowed lane on the far side. Seems the "stranded vehicle" may really be in the left lane and maybe it was stranded there in the original, heavy snowstorm (not unusual in the area)? Also note the smaller snow pile further to the left in the same lane. I may be wrong, but I do not see this as a prank.

Just guessing, and we are likely over-thinking/over-analyzing this photo......? :P/>/> :lol:/>/>

Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

Harvey

The ploughs throw the snow to the center along that stretch - at least from what I have seen over the past few winters. Then an end loader will scoop it up and dump it off the road in an area just right of the shot. The camera, until last winter, used to point a bit more to the right, showing the other end of that gas station. If I recall that section, there is a bit of a grade, so my guess is that the snow is thrown to the center to create a barrier so that a car going downhill that breaks traction and starts sliding will hit a snow bank rather than straight into oncoming traffic.

Folks in the Saloon over-thinking something? Good LORD! Do any of us ever think at all? :lol:/>

I looked and looked.

I couldn't look away.

Snow does that to me.

I thought that California had palm trees and warm temperatures.

You folks been fooling the rest of the Country, haven't ya?

Sneaky Petes! :blink:

I thought that California had palm trees and warm temperatures.

You folks been fooling the rest of the Country, haven't ya?

Nope, it's quite real.

That's where we store the refugees from the Northeast.

Archived