SASS Wire Forum

1860 army

Hoss

Ok pards, bought one of these, just to try C&B.

www.taylorsfirearms.com/blackpowder-revolvers/holiday-specials.html/

Need some advice, going to Gander Mountain tomorrow to buy some assesories. What should I get?

Powder

Balls

Caps

Etc?

Probably not going to do much more than shoot a few rounds at the range.

Not much info to go on but this is what mine uses

3f black powder I would start with the sugested load

the paper work came with

No 11 caps and 454 lead balls powder measure

grease over the lead balls helps clean up and keeps

the fouling soft you could use crisco for starters

if you only plan to shoot it a few times

if you would like some starter loads pm me

A good in-line capper sure helps ...

Have fun ...

I agree with the 3f ...

Go shoot it ,,,, then you will have more questions to ask ...

Jabez Cowboy

I use a .457 ball in my .44s. It seals better and the cylinder sizes the ball when you force it into the chamber. I've found they are more consistant pressure and accuracywise.

2ffg or 3ffg either work well. 2ffg makes more flame!!

I also like the lubed fiber wads better than grease, but that's really a matter of preference.

Most of the new cap'n'ball pistols seem to really like the Remington #10 caps.

Be careful!!! Cap'n'ball is addictive!!! :lol:/> :lol:/>

If you stay with it, you'll want a Ted Cash snail capper and either Tresso or Slix nipples!!

Out of the box they are not competition ready and reliable, just saying ya understand. ;)

Mine arrived last Week and it will require several hours of re-work before I shoot one ball down-range. The Pettifogger article on Pietta Revolvers will be your best reference. :)

Out of the box they are not competition ready and reliable, just saying ya understand. ;)/>

Mine arrived last Week and it will require several hours of re-work before I shoot one ball down-range. The Pettifogger article on Pietta Revolvers will be your best reference. :)/>

Thanks guys. I can't wait for it to arrive.

And lefty, fixin to order couple of them thar screwdrivers!

My .44 cap-n-balls prefer:

- .451 or .454 round balls (.457 are mainly for Ruger Old Army)

- Goex FFFg (FFg will work in a pinch) APP sub-BP is also very good. Pyrodex makes alot of smoke.

- Remington #11 primer caps (CCIs are more available but require more pressure to ignite)

- Wonder Wads work well but are not required

- Some form of grease like ball butter or lube

- adjustable powder measure (0-40 grains) with spout to pour into the chambers

- Black powder cleaning fluids (I use Ballistal to clean the heavy build-up, vinegar-based windex to completely clean and then Ballistal to store)

- Nipple wrench with built-in nipple pin

- full-wrap eye protection, not just prescription glasses

For my Pietta 51's which I shoot now fulltime as Frontiersman I use APP three F powder. Does not require a wad or lube, just the APP & a 451" ball. Clean-up is simple, a 50% Simple Green and water solution is all that is needed. I also use APP in my 73/44WCF cartridges, clean-up with the same solution. But for the 12 ga. all brass shells I use Goex 3F black powder.

And, AH-Yes Cap&Ball is grand. ;)

Just a heads up......

Vinegar, over time (sooner if you use it full strength or don't wipe it off quickly), will damage the blued finish on firearms.

Conventional hydrocarbon-based oil or greases are incompatible with black powder and will combine with the powder residue to produce a nasty asphalt-like fouling that will immobilize your weapon quickly.

Crisco melts and flows at fairly low "hot" temperatures, so as a new shooter, either go ahead and use the crisco or some commercial preparation to grease over the loaded lead balls (to prevent chain-fires) and for lubrication purposes. You don't need much. Be sure to bring along several wipers to keep the crisco from getting ahead of you. :) Keep a toothbrush handy as well, to knock off residue and fouling.

If your loading ram cuts a nice circle of lead from each ball as you press it into the cylinder, you probably won't need to grease over them in cylinder. If the balls are small and don't cut much or any lead, better grease them, but buy larger lead balls next time.

Archived