SASS Wire Forum

OT: cowboy stuff

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Are there any current sources of good quality 12ga brass out there? Other general knowledge one might have on this such as primer size used, reloading equipment needs, etc would be appreciated. I am thinking of loading black powder for use in doubles and the '87Win, are there any downsides to this idea? I have been loading black powder in WW plastic cases with plastic wads for years but thinking about trying something new.

Some folks will tell ya that they use the brass Magtech shells in their '87 and they work great, others will tell you they don't. I can say from experience that reloaded green STS hulls with plastic wads work flawlessly in my Cap '87. I tried loading the same hulls with paper wads and the wads/cards deformed (rippled) the shell walls just enough so that loading into the chamber was problematic. I also tried 2-1/2" shells loaded with paper and had the same issue. So for me it's heavy loads in my green STS and red Winchester wads.

The same hulls work great in my TTN double. I have saved a bunch of the empties I shot this year and plan on reloading them as they don't really look any different than once fired.

Magtechs use large pistol primers. I seat them by pressing them down on the bench and finish with a Lee Load-All. I use .25 over powder cards, fiber wads in 11 ga, an over shot card and then seal with sodium silicate or Elmers glue.

They do have a sharp rim which can be a problem feeding with an 87.

Archived