SASS Wire Forum

A fairly objective NYTimes current article about AR-15s

I read this in the Cleveland Plain Dealer this morning. I was shocked at it's NOT anti-gun spin.

:) Rye

The reports I read said that Adam Lanza's AR-15 was found in his car and hand guns were found with his body. There were no reports that he left the school to put his AR into his car and then reentered the school. Therefore I don't think the statement "But the AR-15 style rifle — the most popular rifle in America, according to gun dealers — was also the weapon of choice for Adam Lanza, who the police said used one made by Bushmaster on Friday to kill 20 young children and six adults in an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., in a massacre that has horrified the nation. " is accurate.

Then again there are many conflicting statements in the press already.

The reports I read said that Adam Lanza's AR-15 was found in his car and hand guns were found with his body. There were no reports that he left the school to put his AR into his car and then reentered the school. Therefore I don't think the statement "But the AR-15 style rifle — the most popular rifle in America, according to gun dealers — was also the weapon of choice for Adam Lanza, who the police said used one made by Bushmaster on Friday to kill 20 young children and six adults in an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., in a massacre that has horrified the nation. " is accurate.

Then again there are many conflicting statements in the press already.

I saw the spokesman for the State Police say that the AR15, Glock, and Sig were found in close proximity to Lanza's body.

I have been surprised to see some unbiased reporting on the gun control issue by the media this time. I'm not sure why this is.

Tom Sullivan, whose son Alex also died in the Aurora theater shooting, welcomed the discussion. Sullivan and his wife spent part of the morning making sure relatives who live in the area were OK.

Sullivan said mental health, not gun control, is a more pressing concern.

"We all need someone in our lives to care," Sullivan said. "If we see a friend, a colleague, a co-worker and they're having a hard time, we need to reach out."

I have been surprised to see some unbiased reporting on the gun control issue by the media this time. I'm not sure why this is.

I've been somewhat surprised also. I think it is because many Americans, except for those with a firm anti-gun stance, are become more educated about firearms. Better education takes away the media's ability to pump propaganda without being questioned. Hence, you get better reporting on firearms issues.

I've also noticed more reporting about mental illness. There's not a reflex to portray the shooter as a slightly misguided person who sees an AR-15-type gun and suddenly does something horrible. This person had serious mental issues that were carried out, and the gun was only a tool but could have been a car or other instrument.

I've been somewhat surprised also. I think it is because many Americans, except for those with a firm anti-gun stance, are become more educated about firearms. Better education takes away the media's ability to pump propaganda without being questioned. Hence, you get better reporting on firearms issues.

I've also noticed more reporting about mental illness. There's not a reflex to portray the shooter as a slightly misguided person who sees an AR-15-type gun and suddenly does something horrible. This person had serious mental issues that were carried out, and the gun was only a tool but could have been a car or other instrument.

I am thinking that is probably true. In my area, Eastern PA., the recent multi-year surge in firearms purchasing has likely increased the number of people owning a gun. A lot more interest and learning may be going on. The internet works both ways ya' know. I was astounded to find out last week that a couple of people in my work group are now the proud owners of handguns. They and their older kids have taken a real interest, gotten real educations from certified instructors and joined clubs. In fact, if you go to a public range around where I live, you wait in line for a bay to shoot at. You have to join a club if you want to shoot regularly and not wait.

Now I'm seeing articles touting the wonderful success on gun control in Australia.

Now I'm seeing articles touting the wonderful success on gun control in Australia.

Well, Australia has a total murder rate of 1 per 100,000 (0.09 by firearms), whereas the USA is 4.2 per 100,000 (3.7 by firearms). However, we are doing pretty good compared to Honduras, which has a 91.6 per 100,000 rate (46.7 by firearms). :blink:/>

Archived