SASS Wire Forum

Long Range

Flat Water Bob

I recently purchased a lever action model 1873 "musket" in 45 LC. (30 inch barrel.) For SASS target distances I use a pretty light load for both revolvers and rifles.....pushing a 200 grain bullet. Now that I have this long range beauty, I want to use it for side matches, but I have never shot long range. I use Trail Boss. My question - does a long range round (100-150 yards) require a heavier load? Would the top end of the recommended loads be sufficient? I certainly would appreciate hearing from anyone who uses this combination of 45LC, Train Boss, etc. for long range. thanks.

Trail Boss works best, at least for me, in the mid to upper ranges of the loads recommended by IMR. I certainly would not go above those loads. I'v used 200 gr. mid TB loads successfully on SASS sized targets out to the ranges you mention. Also, .45 LC loads work better at the upper end of the recommended loads. Less blow back, especially with the lighter bullets.

Best bet would be to load a few and send them down range.

Merry Christmas

Boon

Trail Boss works best, at least for me, in the mid to upper ranges of the loads recommended by IMR. I certainly would not go above those loads. I'v used 200 gr. mid TB loads successfully on SASS sized targets out to the ranges you mention. Also, .45 LC loads work better at the upper end of the recommended loads. Less blow back, especially with the lighter bullets.

Best bet would be to load a few and send them down range.

Merry Christmas

Boon

That would be the pistol caliber category and most guys use their main match loads for long range. I use a 200 gr. bullet over a case full of 2F black powder. Got no problem reaching the targets at 100 -150 yards.

:) Rye

In the class of long range you can shoot with 45colt ( long range pistol caliber ) very seldom do target distances exceed 100 yds more like a 75 yd average at most of the shoots Ive attended. You will be suprised at what yer main match loads will do at 75yds. Hope this helps now its time to hit the range .Good Luck NK

I do well with my 45lc at the ranges indicated with mid-range powder charges of Trail Boss and 200 gr. semi wadcutters. The most important part of success at long range is your sights and very few rifles have good steel ringers out of the box. One place to start your search for "long range goodies" is Buffalo Arms. Your mileage may vary.

I use my main match loads mostly. But they not be gamer loads either. I figure a cowboy would not have downloaded his ammo so this cowboy don't neither. 100 yard is nothin.

I find that 250 gr. bullets give MUCH better results as to grouping at extended ranges than the lighter bullets ...

My match loads clock 1,224 - 1,260 depending on rifle used and still carry enough steam to cleanly kill our larger bodied Whitetails here in Canada to 125 yards ....

I hold 4 inches above where I want the bullet to hit at 125 yards using the same sight setting as for matches ...

Jabez Cowboy

At our club, The Free State Rangers ( http://kansascas.com/free_state_rangers.htm )our long range pistol caliber distances are 100, 150, and finish at 200 yards. As Twelve Mile Red say's the key are sights that will get you out there. We shoot .22 caliber at the same distances. Soule type and peep sights are the sights the winners use. It's amazing how well this rifles will shoot with the right sights. Not many winners with barrel mounted sights. A large number of our shooters use their main match loads. Some use a little heavier bullet and maybe a little bigger charge.

We shoot big bore lever at 200,300, and 400 yards.

Big bore single & Buffalo (Big bore single shot black powder) at 300, 400, and 500 yards.

Our long range matches (Monthly) are a hoot.

Tater

I use my wifes lower end loads out two hundred yards so a mid range load would work just fine.

100-150 yrds isnt really that long of a shot I bet of you go to the range with a couple hundred rounds you will find yourself hitting the target pretty regularly with your revolvers let alone a 30" rifle

Archived