SASS Wire Forum

I am sooo gonna wind up in trouble..

It seems it's only gonna be a matter of time till I run over one of those dadblasted "likker cycles".. :unsure:

For those don't know what a likker cycle is, it's a slang term hereabouts for those motor scooters that don't have to be licensed or tagged, apparently are pretty powerful as they will run upwards of 50 -60 mph, and are driven mostly by teenagers or guys that have lost their license for DWI (Hence the name likker cycle)

I think I'm a pretty good driver, I try not to speed, I obey the rules of the road, resist the urge to give into road rage, and go out of my way to be mindful and considerate of other drivers, particularly motorcyclists and bicyles..But for the third time now, I've nearly run over a young fool on one of those scooters..This latest episode happened in a grocery store parking lot-I was pulling through a parking spot and out of nowhere comes this nimrod hauling butt on his likker cycle..I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting him, and he gave me one of those gangsta-rapper "sneaky birds"- Ya know, where they use two fingers instead of just one?..I suppose so they can tell the cops they didn't really flip someone off..It was all I could do to not wait for him to come out of the store and confront him about it, or at least give him a lecture about his idiotic driving habits, but I didn't for several reasons:

1) I almost always carry a pistola in public for self-defense, and I don't want to start a confrontation or pointless argument that could well lead to a very bad scenario with someone who is obviously an idiot..It just ain't worth getting in trouble over, and I'm wise enough in my old age to be able to brush off bad behaviour or "wounded pride"..At least up to a point!

2) Guys like this usually gets bit in the butt by their own karma anyhoo..Judging by the way this dude drives his scooter (as well as his attitude) he's going to wind up getting scraped off someone's grill eventually anyhoo..

But I AM beginning to worry it's only a matter of time..The first time it happened I was returning from a shoot and encountered what looked like a teenaged kid (with a much younger kid riding on the back) on one of these things in a blind curve on my side of the road..He ran into the ditch, but managed to pull it out and kept on gettin' it down the road without even slowing down, the second time I was pulling out of my own driveway and had to jam on the skids to keep from hitting or getting hit by this yahoo that was probably doing something like 50 mph in a 25 mph zone..DANG! :angry:

As much as I detest guvmint regulations, I would sure like to see a crackdown on these stupid things, IMHO they just have too much power to be left totally unregulated and driven by individuals who either have an irresponsible attitude, or are lacking in driving ability ..In the days of the moped, it wasn't a problem, since they didn't have enough power to travel very fast..

Anyhoo, sorry about the rant, I feel much better now.. :rolleyes:

:o Well written. I have had the same experiences as yourself. And as I am ALWAYS armed I dare not start anything, like you said. If they can't buck up to the responsibility of drivin a car -they shouldn't be on the road on ANYTHING. The only difference between driving a car or a 'likker cicle' is the size of the dent they will leave in my truck!

I Googled "Likker Cycle" and came up with THIS~! :ph34r:/>

Thats either a really small lady our atoy I want to try

Nope, that's not the same kind of likker cycle..The ones I'm talkin' about are MUCH smaller, that thing would probably more damage to my truck than I would do to it! :lol:

Nice lookin' driver, though.. :wub:

I sure know the feeling and I have the same frustration with these wannabe lance armstrong bicyclist types out here in the country where I live....small, two-lane farm road, lotsa curves, hills, twists in the road, etc. Grown men, mostly, they are, hogging the entire lane, slowing down 4-6 cars at the time. I thought I was the only one to wish nasty things upon these zeros until I spoke to some of my neighbors, and then :excl: I became alarmed for the safety of these idiots. But, that fleeting thought passed fairly quickly ... I must have eaten a bad taco or something.

A few years ago, I was headed for town in my one-ton heavy duty Ford truck. I went into a right-hand turn or curve in the road and I saw, coming toward me, there must have been twenty bicyclists, all bunched up, taking up the entire oncoming lane and (over the double yellow lines) about 1/2 of my lane. I drive with my thumb on one of the horn buttons cuz, when I come up on a bicyclist from behind (I watch out for them), I give a warning toot from way back. Anyway, I pressed the horn button at the same instant I swerved completely off the road to the right into the weeds and hit the brakes. I have no idea how I missed hitting several of them, but in my rear view mirror, I saw that all of them had gone down in a huge pile as the ones in my lane swerved sharply back across the double yellow lines into their own lane and into their colleagues. The line of cars behind them all stopped and the drivers got out. Lots of cuts, scrapes, bruises, ripped up lance armstrong jerseys :lol: and banged up bicycles, but no serious injuries. I called the Highway Patrol (CHP) on that bunch, but they never cited them. They never cite any of them or do anything else to stop these suicidal fools. I'm surprised we haven't had several of them killed on our road. I'm also surprised I didn't hear from any of them, blaming me. Speed limit is 55, but I'd have to be silly to drive it that fast with all the curves and those nuts on it all the time.

It's not so much the women bicyclists ... they seem to have common sense and realize they are vulnerable and ride safely. Besides, I like to slow down and watch THEM from behind. :PB)

Can't say I've ever seen one of those likker-cycles, though. If I see one, I'll give'em a bump for you. :lol: You're right, though. About that karma thing, I mean. But also, as they say, "God watches out for fools and children."

A likker cycle here is a ridin lawnmower and occasionally they give the drivers tickets for public drunkeness. I'm kinda curious as to what you're describing as I've haven't seen them here or in North Texas.

Same here. I am more clueless than normal (shaddup, peanut gallery). :lol:/>

I've never heard of 'em either. Is it like an upgraded moped or a downgraded Vespa? :o:D

I've never heard of 'em either. Is it like an upgraded moped or a downgraded Vespa? :o/>/>/>/> :D/>/>/>/>

It's a motor scooter type thingie..I don't know what a Vespa is, that could be it..They most closely resemble the old scooters from the '60's, the ones that had the smaller wheels and the gas tank mounted under the seat, and had a kind of floorboard that you propped your feet up on..Kinda geeky-looking actually, but then I'm a hardcore Harley and Indian guy B) ..It seems there's some models with a quite a bit more power that are supposed to be licensed and tagged, but they look pretty much the same as the unlicensed ones..One year I was working with some YCC kids on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and overheard one talking about getting some decals and switching the model numbers on his scooter so's he could fool the LEOS into thinking he was driving one of the models that don't need a tag..That may explain why so many of these things can go so fast..

The more I think about it, I see few if any of these things when in New Mexico, maybe they're more of an eastern thing..

Here's a Vespa. http://www.vespausa.com/

Here's some likker scooters. http://www.moxiescooters.com/Scooters_s/1.htm

These are usually about 49-50cc and will have a top speed of 45-55mph. They get 120-150mpg. You can get them in gas or rechargeable electric. The electric one only do 18-25mph and are good for 5-10 miles on a charge.

In TX you have to have a motorcycle endorsement on your license for the bigger ones. You cannot take them on the open hwy or freeways because they won't do the speed limit. Same for some urban streets.

Doc, why don't you go to an auto parts store & buy a valve stem puller and keep it in your car? The next time one of those yahoos does that in a parking lot watch where he parks and while he's in the store loosen the valve stems on both tires and let the air out. No harm done, but it will slow him down for a while. He'll have to push that scooter home or to a tire shop to get the valve stems tightened & the tires aired up.

Archived