SASS Wire Forum

Look at this gun at a gun buyback

Hacker, SASS #55963

And , thankfully, the police officers used common sense. The owner could have been charged with illegal posession of an un-registered NFA firearm. The article mentions that the gun was inoperable...this is not a factor in determining legality of ownership...unless it is deactivated to BATF standards. The article also said that ammunition was not available...actually ammo is readily available on Gunbroker. Even if legally brought back to the U.S. as a war trophy, it would have had to been registered with the BATF after 1968. And, being the owner of an NFA firearm myself, I'm not entirely sure of the legality of my wife possessing my NFA firearms after my death...I'm pretty sure she would have to at least re-register. The registration document for an NFA weapon has the weapon SN listed, tax stamp affixed (yes, it is literally a "postage" type stamp with $200 value listed), and my photograph attached. This document must ALWAYS accompany the weapon. Mine is rolled up and inside a hollow in the stock under the butt plate.

I've only seen one of these rifles in my lifetime. Glad that the officers on hand recognized the gun, advised the lady of the value and didn't decide to be asses about the Class 3 aspect of the situation. Hats off to all involved.

CS

And , thankfully, the police officers used common sense. The owner could have been charged with illegal posession of an un-registered NFA firearm. The article mentions that the gun was inoperable...this is not a factor in determining legality of ownership...unless it is deactivated to BATF standards. The article also said that ammunition was not available...actually ammo is readily available on Gunbroker. Even if legally brought back to the U.S. as a war trophy, it would have had to been registered with the BATF after 1968. And, being the owner of an NFA firearm myself, I'm not entirely sure of the legality of my wife possessing my NFA firearms after my death...I'm pretty sure she would have to at least re-register. The registration document for an NFA weapon has the weapon SN listed, tax stamp affixed (yes, it is literally a "postage" type stamp with $200 value listed), and my photograph attached. This document must ALWAYS accompany the weapon. Mine is rolled up and inside a hollow in the stock under the butt plate.

Yup. I hope she is receiving some good guidance from knowledgeable people.

I am sorry to say that if I was a betting man I would put my money on that gun being destroyed.

There is no Grandfather Clause for NFA paperwork.

I'm afraid your right. If Grandpa didn't register it and pay the $200 tax prior to 1986, it can't be registered and transferred now. Perhaps it can be donated to a museum for a tax write off.

The last time I read up on this, ATF did allow family to inherit a Class III item without paying the tax but they still have to submit the paperwork.

Archived