SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1890 Take Down

The serial number is 775*** All I can find is serial number to 1941?

Help? Helping a friend appraise. Not the deluxe model.

Shameless

serial #'s were about 849,100 when assembly of rifles ceased ,actual mfr of parts stopped in 1932.At that time they had a very large supply of parts which they continued to assemble for years until they ran out.

This is what I found, as per G. Madis:

"Actual production of guns reached 752,044. After 1932 serial numbers were chosen at random; many numbers were skipped and the highest serial number recorded is 849,100. George Watrous, a Winchester employee, counted total production at 764,215 in 1944 when he made a count."

Hope that helps. :unsure:

My bud bought a takedown for $80 at a garage sale. I'm thinking he got over for about $400.

Cool piece. Looks like a rifle you would see at a shooting gallery at a carnival.

My bud bought a takedown for $80 at a garage sale. I'm thinking he got over for about $400.

Cool piece. Looks like a rifle you would see at a shooting gallery at a carnival.

They are great little rifles, and millions of folks, including myself, learned to shoot with one. They were frequently used in shooting galleries, and are often called "gallery rifles." :)

Your bud got a heck of a deal!

Archived