SASS Wire Forum

Need some experienced advice.....

Hoss

I got into CAS about 6 months ago. Having a blast!

I wanted a Uberti 1866 Yellowboy rifle, but could not find one anywhere. I just like the brass! Everybody kept telling me they were back ordered and dId not know when they might be available. I finally purchased a 1873 Deluxe sporting rifle in 357/38sp It's a fine rifle, but I still had a little "yellow fever".

Was on a road trip today, stopped at a gun shop, and sure enough, there it was. 1866 Yellowboy short rifle in 38sp. Exactly what I wanted. I drooled all over it, but decided no, better not. Actually left and made it 20 miles down the road before turning around and going back. The Gun store guy laughed at me! Needless to say, I now have 2 rifles. My question s, do I sell the 1873, or keep it?

Several years back I wound up with a very nice Allen Arms 66 in 44-40. Allen was the precursor to Cimmy and is top quality. Then I came into a great and smooth Cimmy 73. Well says I, theres no use for two of em and so sold the 73. Boy howdy I wish that one would come back home!

Like others have said, KEEP IT! I now have two sets of CAS guns, and am planning for more!

YUp....ya can't have two many gunz !

There was a thread a little whiole ago abotu which guns you regret selling. My answer, and I was not alone, was every dang one!

Keep it.

SELL A GUN?!

I'm with Miss Whiskey on this one. Years ago I had to sell off my guns to avoid financial disaster.

Schoolmarm swears I'd sell her before the guns would go!! :lol::lol::lol:

Last Christmas we gave my grandson a Daisy Red Rider BB gun. So did his Grandfather on his mom's side. I asked him what he was going to do about that.

"Grandpa, a man can't have too many guns."

From the mouths of babes.

BTW, one is at his house in Las Vegas, the other is here for when he visits.

You keep it! I have been shooting 15-20 Cowboy Action matches a year for 14 years now. During that time, during matches I have had 3 shotguns, 2 rifles and 1 handgun break down on me. Once a firearm is broken down during a match, you don't have enough time to break down your firearm and replace the parts during the stage(assuming you have the spare parts available). If after a while shooting these matches, you decide that you want to travel and shoot bigger matches, ie driving time is 5 1/2 to 22 hours away, you are investing a lot of money in gas, food and motels, why waste your opportunity for having an enjoyable match by ending it with a broken firearm. Firearm breakdowns are not a planned activity, why do you think that cowboy shooters have the firearms available to lend to new shooters?

I'm the first one to say "Sell it" I already have a Engraved 1866, but don't have a 1873. So I can relieve you of your problem rifle you "Had" to buy while on the hunt for your 1866. Just sayin'

Jake

Every cowboy gun I've ever sold I've regretted later on. If you don't need the money don't sell em.

...Ms. Mary Matilda has an spare sxs and rifle & yes so do I and I bring a spare revolver...

...as has been said, when one breaks in the middle of the match, you have time to walk over and get the spare if its with you... ...if its not with you the match is over or you borrow a gun...

I shot a Yellowboy rifle for many years and thousands of rounds in CAS. I really liked the gun.

However I eventually acquired a 73 Carbine as a back-up. I started shooting it and it became my favorite. Personally I find for CAS that the carbine is the better choice. The distance we shoot is close, it is handier when shooting through windows and other tight spaces and quicker to bring on target.

When I acquired another 73 carbine I made the decision to part with the rifle. I recently posted a thread on a kitchen table gunsmithing project I did on the latest one. There is a strong argument to be made for having the same type of backup gun.

I would keep the rifle until you decide what works best for you.

I am also new to CAS. A difference between the '73 and the '66 is a lever safety.

On the '73, the gun can't be fired unless the action is completely closed.

I understand that the '66 does not have such a safety, so when rapid firing there is a risk of getting your lever hand out of sync with your trigger finger and firing the gun with the action not completely closed.

SO, I would love, admire, and pat your '66, and work on your firing technique using the '73 until you have the movements perfected, and second anture.

You may already know this, but I thought I'd throw it out.

B Slim

Archived