SASS Wire Forum

It's Not Just More Guns.....

Attended my gun club's monthly membership meeting last night - where prospective new members show up, with a club member sponsor, to be interviewed and considered for membership.

The norm is 2-5 prospects.

Last night - the first meeting since the election....28 prospects!!!!!

And the demographics were interesting, too:

Several younger folks, in the 18-25 range - some new to shooting, and most sponsored by a family member;

Several older guys, retired or close to it, with shooting/arms backgrounds but looking for a place that allows a wider range of styles and guns (we have 260 acres, 18 ranges from 7 yds to 300 yrds., plus a trap field, an indoor range, Class III ranges, Cowboy pits, Action pits, archery, and a booming improvements program);

Two older ladies, newly permitted, looking for a friendly club;

Two State Troopers and a retired US Customs agent;

And just about every occupation, color and ethnic background you could name.

It's not just panic buying; folks - all kinds of folks - are seriously concerned that if they do not get their permits and their proficiencies now, they will not be able to get them later.

LL

I'm on the board of our local gun club and we have seen that as well. For about the last 4-5 years our membership had held pretty steady around 1200 give or take. On average, we would gain 100 new members and lose 100 old members every year as people moved in and out of the area. In addition to being a gun club, we are also a conservation orgainization and many of our members join for that reason alone. Probably 15% never even bother to get range certified. But over the last year or so, we have only lost about 80 members and we gained almost 230 so our numbers have grown to almost 1350. This week alone, we had 28 new members apply and almost everyone joining in the last year has joined with shooting as their primary reason.

I won't speculate on the reason for the increases, but I certainly won't complain about it either. More active shooters is a good thing!

Dogmeat Dad

Archived