SASS Wire Forum

Hustler

Subdeacon Joe

B-58, repair mans nightmare...Electronics never did very well...Had friends who repaired them...All they said was electronic problems that never went away became the norm...Could never be repaired...No matter what they changed, same problem would come back...

Texas Lizard

B-58, repair mans nightmare...Electronics never did very well...Had friends who repaired them...All they said was electronic problems that never went away became the norm...Could never be repaired...No matter what they changed, same problem would come back...

Texas Lizard

Nevertheless..I suspect the Russians just about crapped their drawers and dropped the vodka bottles the first time they saw it. :lol:

My dad was at a radar base in Goose Bay, Labrador the first time something crossed their screens at speeds that nothing had ever approached before. They crapped their pants, dropped their Cokes, and called NORAD.

NORAD responded to not worry about the object. They knew what it was but couldn't discuss it.

It was the B-58 doing test flights.

I can only imagine what the Russkies thought of it. :blink:

Growing up in Palmdale 3 miles from Plant 42, got to see the maiden flight of the XB-70 and the initial test flights of the SR-71. (Then known as the YF-12A ) Super Cool!!!!!:FlagAm:/>

Didn't the '58 have range limitations...? I seem to recall the story of it having been designed and built in anticipation of new fuels that never came to be... :huh:

Didn't the '58 have range limitations...? I seem to recall the story of it having been designed and built in anticipation of new fuels that never came to be... :huh:/>

Kinda like automobiles?

I remember one come right over me as it approached to land at Witchita Falls. To a young kid like me it was about the biggest and NOISEIEST bird I'd ever seen. Loud is an understatement.

Saw an F-117 fly directly overhead a number of years ago, en route to an air show in Fresno. Now, THAT sucka was noisy! :huh: Stealth?? Heck... resurrected the concept of "Sound Shot!" ^_^

Another noisy bird: Back in the 90's the "powers that be" denied British Airways/Air France permission to use the San Francisco International airport for the Concorde because of noise concerns.

Oakland said "Come on ahead...!" and they did. It was a magnificent sight watching that bird fly right over Market Street in San Francisco as she set up her approach to Oakland. ^_^

And yup... She was LOUD~!! :lol:

B-58 brought back memories. My Brother-in-law was stationed at a SAC base in Indiana in the 60's. Dad,Mom and I

went to visit and he got us on base for a night launch. What a sight they would lift off and have their nose at

about 45 degrees and hit the afterburners. They rose like rockets into the night air until their exhaust disappeared. To a 12 year old kid that was cool! They flew B-58's in the movie Fail Safe if I am not mistaken.

I am just glad we never had to use anything of our modern marvels!

Archived