SASS Wire Forum

Leather sewing machine

Red Cent

Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise, I will purchase a Cobra Class 4 machine soon. How many of you cowboys play with leather?

My pard Doc Noper is running Cobra class 4 and it's a thing of beauty. I spend a LOT of time in his shop and can attest that it's a sweet machine. I made a couple holsters last year and it was great even for a beginner.

I know lots of guys who do and many actually go on to enjoy that more than the shooting. You will find that you spend more time looking at fokes leather rigs than you do watching how they shoot AND sometimes it is embarrassing when fokes catch you looking and do not realize what you are looking at! :blush: As you already know, I do most of my sewing on a TORO 4000. I think the most popular new machines in use right now are based on the Juki design. Leathercraft, like most other forms of knowledge, has really benefited from the information age. There is so much more and better information out there now than what was available forty years ago that it isnt even comparable!

Howdy, Pards,

My Juki TSC441 is about 20+ years old now, and I have used it for literally hundreds of custom leather jobs. That machine (I call her "Kate"...because Juki is owned by Nakajima or the other way around, and Nakajime produced the "Kate" torpedo bomber in WWII) is the basis for a bunch of machines, including FerdCo's "Bull", etc.

One thing about heavy duty sewing machines...they generally do NOT depreciate in value over their lives, if properly taken care of. The only problem that crops up in older machines is when they are so old you can't find parts anymore. That was the reason the original Singers used to refurbish the parachutes on the Space Shuttle solid rocket booster recover system were replaced. Just couldn't find parts for them anymore!

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Happy Holidays, all!

Your Pard,

J Bar, I started on one myownself pard and when it came time to reduce by one machine, I actually planned on keeping it and selling an Aero. The pard actually picked it over the Aero so I let him have it and he still uses it.

Trailrider, that is one reason I opted for the Cobra. If I hear that trumpet some day, Deb can sell that thing with little loss. And in the meantime, I can satify the type "A" personality and make the perfect cowboy rig. I have been bugging the guys at CAS City. Most are "period" leather makers and good ones too from what has displayed. Me, the need for speed exists. Yeah, I am a gamer.

Really looking forward to this. Retirement is so not what it is supposed to be. I love wake up in the morning, roll over and push the on button on the coffee maker and sip coffee til around 10:00AM. But I saw this morning that the local diesel dealer wants $4.14.9 for a lousy gallon of fuel. Regular is $3.29.9

So I don't run around a lot.

I hope Zack White has a lot of leather. And glue. And tools. And........

Red, what ever you do, dawnt put a puter in the shop. A five minute break to wait fer the glue line to get tacky can often turn into an hour on the puter! Been retired from the day job fer quite a few years now and I swear I aint been caught up since, damn puters!

Yeah, I visit and harass a few gun forums. Really spend too much time doing so. I am looking forward to developing some expertise in leather.

Stumpy. how long do want the whip?

Archived