SASS Wire Forum

Question about pipes.

Dorado

I'm looking to get a smoking friend of mine a pipe and a small can of tobacco for Christmas. He's shown interest in pipes and I think he's going to get one after New Year's. I'd like to surprise him with a set. I don't know much about pipes and the tobacco they use, so whatever help y'all can offer would be great. Where should I begin?

Yes - maybe a Gift certificate for him - and

he could get 2 or 3 "low cost" pipes and 5 - 7

pouches of tobacco - and - that way - he could ease into

it - and find his favorite combination.

Just my dos centavos.

Boneyard Bill

Yes - maybe a Gift certificate for him - and

he could get 2 or 3 "low cost" pipes and 5 - 7

pouches of tobacco - and - that way - he could ease into

it - and find his favorite combination.

Just my dos centavos.

Boneyard Bill

Not a bad idea. Now if I could only find a place that sells pipes. lol

I like Joe's suggestion... but then, I've always considered a personally thought-out gift to be more meaningful than a scrap of paper equating to "Here - go buy yerself somethin'."

Tobacconist for sure. Might start with a good briar, and be sure to tell them that this is a gift for a new pipe smoker... and he'll likely recommend some mild tobaccos. Whatever you do, DON'T buy 'im a package of "Cherry Flavored" stuff, no matter HOW much the girls say they like the smell! :wacko:

i smoke but not a pipe .. best saying i ever heard .." A smokeing pipe something the thinking man can hold while pondering the ways of the world or something a fool can stick in his mouth " intresting most pipe smokers seem to be thinking people

some of the pipe tobacco can be a bit rough and smells like burning horse $hit and bus tickets ..bit like kid's buying aftershave some times best left to the people going to use it by all means buy a pipe maybe a gift cert for the stuff to put in it

Used to smoke a pipe many years ago...fact is I had 10 or 15 of them :lol: Tobac is a strange,thing as they say..."different strokes for different folks". Took me about 4 or 5 years to finally find a blend that I really liked. Used to say "tastes as good as ot smells". Finally gave it up when it just got to be too much of a pain in the rear to smoke while I was working.

A good Tobacconist and tobac shop should get him started in the right direction. Good briar pipes are a beauty to behold. :wub:

Hyars the only one I have left from my youth. Souvenir of my time in Suthren Deutschland.

pic

pic

Ultimate sophisticated coolness, but people will look at you strange (howver, it's the perfect accessory if you're in your oak paneled library holding a glass of schnapps and reading a bit of Nietzsche, or perhaps gazing at a map of the French border) :rolleyes:/>. Been so many years that I can't remember any tobacco brands.

Stuff will kill you anyways. ;)/>

Doc Shapiro is our resident expert on pipes. He even makes them or at least used to. Shoot him a p.m. and see if he can give you some answers.

Thanks for the plug Ellie.

This is one of those questions that's just near impossible to help with. Everyone has different tastes. There are some reasonable inexpensive pipes. Kaywoodie, Grabow, etc. There are some slightly higher grade reasonable pipes like the lower end Stanwell and Petersons. And with tobacco, holy cow are there a lot of options! Without some way to narrow down taste and preference, it's nearly impossible to offer up such general advice.

The advice of going to the local pipe shop is an excellent one.

Yeah the selection at the only pipe shop here was abysmal. But I found a nice simple Kaywoodie briar pipe for him, and even a couple of tobacco samples. One smells great, label on the jar said Houston. Its black, has a vanilla scent and sort of smells like the sweet feed I gave to my horses. Another is a Turkish blend, kinda smells like beef jerky. And a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

What does it mean by drinkless? Label on the side says Kaywoodie Drinkless.

Maybe you can find one from this list. Tobacconists in Texas.

the only listing for Wichita Falls doesn't exist. Thanks though.

My only other suggestion is to expose the tobacco you select (gads, I really dislike those vanilla blends) to the air and allow it to dry out to closing in on "crispy". A wet tobacco smokes very hot which is transmitted directly to the tongue. OUCH!

Oh, stay away from pipes labeled as "drinkless" or some such. They have a little metal device in the stem that is proported to reduce the flow of condensation (another reason to dry out the tobacco) up the stem to the mouth. However, in practice, they seem to make it much worse. And they prevent a pipe cleaner from flowing through to clean it out.

Also, avoid pipes with fitments that are designed for the stem to screw into the pipe rather than press fit.

How much are you willing to spend on a pipe? I can send you some links to reasonable pipes in that budget and make some tobacco suggestions. Of course, then you'd have to mail order.

Doc - I'm gonna jump in here on Dorado's thread and ask for some advice on tobaccos and also for pipes under $100.00. That's the first time I'd heard about drying out the tobacco. When I smoked a pipe, I always thought you had to keep the tobacco moist. No wonder my pipe always "bit" my tongue! You can PM me with the info or email me at your convenience.

Well I was trying to stay under $50. I got him that drinkless pipe but I didn't know any better. Now the darn thing is off in the mail. Oh well. But I guess it would be enough to get him started. I'm starting to think I should have waited. But for the sake of discussion, What tobaccos would you suggest?

And Bama, Feel free to jump in. The more questions the more answers.

Before I tackle recommendations for pipes and tobacco, how about a little edumacation? Hope ya'll don't mind....

For starters, there are 2 big factors in how a pipe will smoke. In general, the more you pay, the more attention to both of these things will be paid by the manufacturer. First off is the briar itself. To make a good smoking instrument, the briar has to be well seasoned and dry. This is not always the case. Many manufacturers of inexpensive pipes (and even some expensive ones) don't allow the wood to dry sufficiently, or they try to rush the process. The end result is a bitter taste and a hot pipe. The presence or absence of sandpits and flaws in the wood is irrelevant. They are there because the wood is from a root burl and it grew around something that was in the way. Simple as that.

The other factor is the internal engineering of the pipe. This would be the size and shape of the tobacco chamber itself, the diameter of the airway in the wood, the diameter of the airway in the stem, along with any funneling at the end of the stem, and how well those 2 holes match up. For example, if you can't push a pipecleaner in from the stem and have it pop right out at the bottom of the pipe, there may very well be issues. There is some myth and misconception in this among pipe shop owners, employees, and smokers. However, it's a great test when buying a new pipe. If a fluffy will pass through, even with a little resistance, that's a really good sign that it'll be a good smoker.

The external cosmetics of the pipe (in other words - what it looks like and the finish) really have no bearing at all on how it will smoke. You should see some of the disasters that I use! You wouldn't want to be seen in public with them. But the internals are sound and they smoke well.

You'll pay the most for smooth pipes with a premium on grain structure. Sandblasts are a bit less expensive. Rusticated (or carved) pipes are the least expensive in a lineup.

---------------

Ok, now that we've been through that....

- At under $100, I like a lot of the Savinelli pipes. They're well made with solid internals. The ones I've owned have all been good smokers.

- Stanwell has been spotty - I've had lots of misdrilled and poorly made samples go through my hands.

- Peterson is hit or miss - sometimes you get a good one, sometimes not. I really dislike the "system" pipes as it really seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, and so makes it worse.

- On eBay and such you may find some Castello pipes in your price range as estate pipes (aka used). Just swab 'em out with everclear and let them dry and they should be fine.

There are MANY other brands, if you use the information I outlined above regarding the engineering, it should help you find pipes that are more likely to smoke well from the start.

If you can bring your budget up to $200 to $300, I can start to suggest some handmade pipes that will be great from the start.

-------------

Tobacco choices are very personal. There is such a wide range of flavors and personalities. Some brands just whack my tongue good, and others are wonderful. Also, jarring up tobacco and letting it age for a few years will do wonders for the taste. Use Ball canning jars. That'll keep it from drying out too much.

So before I offer up any suggestions, let me ask a question. What do you like for whiskey and scotch? Do you like the lowland peaty single malts? The more sweet highland varieties? Or both?

That's a lot of good info to digest. If I wanted to spend a lot of money on a pipe I'd just have my brother make one for me. He made one last year and got offers of $300 for it from a pipe store.

Like I said this was a gift so my tastes don't really matter. But as far as whiskey and scotch, Johnny Walker Red label or Wild Turkey American Honey are my current choices. I don't know what Kurt likes, he usually drinks whatever he can con out of someone. So I guess for him anything. What about some of those common tobacco brands like Prince Albert or Bugle? Are they any good?

This kinda has me interested now. I've been more of a cigar guy than pipe, but I'm getting a little curious now.

That's a lot of good info to digest. If I wanted to spend a lot of money on a pipe I'd just have my brother make one for me. He made one last year and got offers of $300 for it from a pipe store.

Like I said this was a gift so my tastes don't really matter. But as far as whiskey and scotch, Johnny Walker Red label or Wild Turkey American Honey are my current choices. I don't know what Kurt likes, he usually drinks whatever he can con out of someone. So I guess for him anything. What about some of those common tobacco brands like Prince Albert or Bugle? Are they any good?

This kinda has me interested now. I've been more of a cigar guy than pipe, but I'm getting a little curious now.

Prince Albert? Bugle? Uh. No. They're horrible.

Based on your drink preferences, you might like a blend called Escudo. There are some others in the same vein. Here are a few others you can look for: Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, McClelland 2015, MacBaren Navy Flake.

Basically, a Virginia/Perique blend might be right up your alley.

OK, Doc. Good recommendations on the pipes.

As far as scotch goes, I've never found a scotch that I could gag down, no matter the maker or the age. I've tried 'em all from the cheapest rotgut to some of the supposed best twenty year old stuff and they all taste terrible. For whiskey, I'm a man of simple tastes - when I drink whiskey, its Jack Daniels or Gentleman Jack, straight up or on the rocks, please.

Doc, What your opinion on the meerschaums?

I found 3 in Germany back in the day. Smoked them until the color came through. I quit pipes and gave them to my father. He used them for years and after his death they were given away by Mom.

Doc Shapiro is our resident expert on pipes. He even makes them or at least used to. Shoot him a p.m. and see if he can give you some answers.

+1!

OK, Doc. Good recommendations on the pipes.

As far as scotch goes, I've never found a scotch that I could gag down, no matter the maker or the age. I've tried 'em all from the cheapest rotgut to some of the supposed best twenty year old stuff and they all taste terrible. For whiskey, I'm a man of simple tastes - when I drink whiskey, its Jack Daniels or Gentleman Jack, straight up or on the rocks, please.

I think I'd suggest for you the same ones I suggested above. You may also like some of the Burley blends. MacBaren Scottish Blend for instance. Do stay away from drugstore tobacco's. They are horrible!

Doc, What your opinion on the meerschaums?

I found 3 in Germany back in the day. Smoked them until the color came through. I quit pipes and gave them to my father. He used them for years and after his death they were given away by Mom.

If the block is good, and the pipe is drilled properly, then can be excellent pipes. Some folks I know only smoke Meer's.

---

Here are a few web sites of tobacco blenders (or brands) that I really enjoy. Peruse them at your leisure. Some are more expensive than others, but all are very high quality tobacco. And this is just a small sample of the high quality brands available. Interestingly enough, I think this is the golden age for pipe smokers. There are so many excellent pipe makers and tobaccos available right now. Probably more than at any other time in our history.

http://www.mac-baren.com/TopMenu/Main-2.aspx

http://www.glpease.com/

http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/

http://www.pipeshowonline.net/McClelland_Home.php

Prince Albert? Bugle? Uh. No. They're horrible.

Based on your drink preferences, you might like a blend called Escudo. There are some others in the same vein. Here are a few others you can look for: Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, McClelland 2015, MacBaren Navy Flake.

Basically, a Virginia/Perique blend might be right up your alley.

Funny how the horrible ones are what you see everywhere. I'll be sure to tell Kurt. Here's a question. Tamping, How much are you supposed to tamp the tobacco?

Funny how the horrible ones are what you see everywhere. I'll be sure to tell Kurt. Here's a question. Tamping, How much are you supposed to tamp the tobacco?

They're cheap. Hence you find them everywhere.

The draw through the pipe should be similar to sucking a soda through a straw. If it's like a milkshake, the tobacco is too tight. If it's like air, it's not tight enough. Tamping is used strictly to lightly press the embers into the tobacco. In general, it's needed when lighting and maybe once or twice more. Shouldn't have to do it often.

Hmm, Looks like I may be visiting the pipe shop later today. I'd like to see what they stock.

Doc, you're gonna be the end of me. I took your advice now I have a new vice. I couldn't find any of your suggestions except the MacBaren Navy Flake. That's some good stuff there. Mild, doesn't bite, overall very enjoyable. I got a can of it and I think I'm going to enjoy it quite a bit. Now I have something else to take shooting with me. lol

Doc, you're gonna be the end of me. I took your advice now I have a new vice. I couldn't find any of your suggestions except the MacBaren Navy Flake. That's some good stuff there. Mild, doesn't bite, overall very enjoyable. I got a can of it and I think I'm going to enjoy it quite a bit. Now I have something else to take shooting with me. lol

Outstanding! Welcome to the club laugh.gif

WOW! Those Castello pipes must be some dang good smokers! YIKES! Dang it.... now you got me curious.... I wonder what shape a Classic Cowboy might smoke? hmmmmm.....I did tell her that I was thinking about quitting cigars.....:P/>

WOW! Those Castello pipes must be some dang good smokers! YIKES! Dang it.... now you got me curious.... I wonder what shape a Classic Cowboy might smoke? hmmmmm.....I did tell her that I was thinking about quitting cigars.....tongue.gif/>

Try finding some on the estate market. You'll get much better prices and won't have to worry about breaking it in, that is, unless you like breaking in a pipe.

I know a bunch of pipe makers that would love some business. I can steer some of you their way. Here's one that always produces an excellent pipe (I'm smoking one as I type this): http://www.raddavispipes.com/ Incidentally, Rad will produce a pipe to order, as in "on commission" and can probably make just about any shape you'd like.

The classic "billiard" is an old design, as is the "cutty". Both of those would likely have been found in the old West.

Plenty of pipes available in Washington.

And in Colorady in about 30 days when Gov Hickengoober certifies the amendment.

I'm buying Cheetos stock. :rolleyes:

What a mess! :wacko:

Archived