SASS Wire Forum

Hey, Harvey!

Subdeacon Joe

"Jugs Rock!"

Am I the only one whose first thought was not of a warbird? :wub:/>

Doesn't matter. Either interpretation is correct. ;)

As a boy, while the others thought the Mustang and Lightning and Corsair were dead-bang cool, I always dreamed of flying down on the deck, shooting up trains and airfields in a P47. Then a quick victory roll as the enemy on the ground helplessly shook their fists and cussed me out.:D

Well, I always thought that the Jug was not competitive with axis aircraft at high altitude.

But they were he77 on wings at low altitude. Am I wrong?

Gabby Gabreski scored 28 aerial kills and Robert Johnson scored 27 with them in Europe. Scroll down to the kills by the 56th Fighter Group at this link. These guys were bad-a**es with them!

:FlagAm: Once they put those big four bladed "Paddle" props on them, their performance increased a lot. Robert Johnson wrote in his book about matching up with Spits when he found one willing to mix a little. Without the paddles, a Spit could out climb him vertically. with them, he would shoot by one no problem. and once they figured out the Jug could snap roll better than Spits or 109's, they didn't bother to get into a turn following one. They just snap rolled inside them. End of game, 8 .50's was a heck of an arsenal to be carrying :FlagAm::blush:

Ya just wait till the 109 runs out of ammo trying to shoot you down. Then you snaproll, chase him and light him up with those Brownings.. ;)

Must've borrowed them wheels from Spielberg...

The Mission, 1985

Painted 'em black, o' course... :rolleyes:

Thanks Joe, you are adding to my lifelong addiction to the Jugs (p-47 and other)!!

EDITED to add that over my life I have been attacted to function over form, and this is a classic example - you have to see and feel the beauty in the functional purpose of the Jug over its sleek beauty..... (not ;)/>/>/> ). Most lust after the P-51, but the all around functionality of the Jug has me. Same with the Corsair (my all time favorite) and Hellcat in the WWII Navy arena.

And yes, Jugs are exhilirating, attractive and seductivie, whichever meaning you attach to the word! ;)/>/>/>/>

4EB, you are spot-on regarding the performance transformation with the later four bladed prop. A few of those I spoke to who flew them gushed about that.

Harvey

Sittin' here vibratin' in my seat imagining the sound and feel of the big radial jugs makin' REAL POWER in front of me.........

Wonder if Bob Johnson's book is still in print? Title is "Thunderbolt". I had a paperback copy many years ago, but it's now lost. His retelling of the mission that almost cost him his life is real testimony to the sturdiness of the 47 :rolleyes::blush:

I work not far from an Air Guard base that is currently flying the 'new' Thunderbolts, named in honor of the original. Truley frightening aircraft when you look up and they are right there at 500 feet and you didn't know they was coming. A little off subject here but they truley make you thankful to be an American!!!!! I have been able to watch them fly the F-4, F-16s and now Warthogs from a front row seat at work.

Wonder if Bob Johnson's book is still in print? Title is "Thunderbolt". I had a paperback copy many years ago, but it's now lost. His retelling of the mission that almost cost him his life is real testimony to the sturdiness of the 47 :rolleyes:/> :blush:/>

I think there was a reprint released in the late 1990s. A quick google search will turn up a decent number of used copies for sale.

Archived