SASS Wire Forum

How to Install a Short Stroke kit on your Winchester

Rancho Roy

I just wrote a whole article with tons of pictures on my web site on installing a Short Stoke kit on a Winchester Lever action rifle.

Read it here:

www.rvbprecision.com

I hope you enjoy it. Comments ALWAYS welcomed.

Thanks!

What about proper headspacing, is that an issue?

You can simply order the links from most of the suppliers in various lengths to correct for headspace..............;)/>

If it is, there is nothing you can do about it. The toggle links determine how far forward the bolt travels. If the links are too short you'd have to set the barrel back. Not practical with a barrel with sights mounted on it. You'd have to set it back one complete revolution and then have all kinds of issues with the forend hanger dovetail.

If the links were too long, the bolt would not lock into battery and the barrel would need to be removed, the chamber face cut and the barrel rechambered because now the chamber might be too shory....Ugh!

Fortunately, rimmed, pistol cartridges are not that critical as far as headspace is concerned. And Uberti has pretty good tolerances. Therefore if the links are made to a particular spec, all will be good.

That's good to know because I'm about to put a short stroke in a '73 within the next few weeks. Hopefully all will go well.

I don't know about all short stroke kit manufacturers, but Pioneer offers links in alternate lengths to offset headspace issues for Uberti rifles.

I don't know about all short stroke kit manufacturers, but Pioneer offers links in alternate lengths to offset headspace issues for Uberti rifles.

You beat me to the punch. :) I'm not a gunsmith nor did I spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express, but I know one. :)

From the OP: "If it is, there is nothing you can do about it."

Wow, some large pile of misunderstanding on the part of the OP!

Cowboys and Indians link sets have "dots" on their links to show length. Call Jim B and he'll help you get a different length link set if you bought a set of his C&I links. He has several over and under length sets available.

Pioneer, since they CNC machine their own, can make just about any length you need.

Both sets are GREAT!

Good luck, GJ

Hey, I think that's my Yellowboy!! Great article!! I did one on my '73 and it's not too hard if you take your time. Good shootin'!

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Lately... my woman has been tryin' to install a short-stroke kit on my private parts...

She thinks I am a "sex-adict"... that is her words.... wants to go to some stupid theripy-crap....

Well... dam...

Man... Woman... what the hell?

Huh?

ts

HEADSPACE..........

Well, ya learn something new every day! I didn't know Pioneer offered different length toggles. But of course, that would solve any issue you might have with headspace. Live and learn!

Hey Preacherman.....Yup that be your 1866! Did ya notice I stripped and refinished the wood? The rifle was in great shape and runs real nice. Very accurate too. I had one of my best matches this past Saturday using it without the SS kit installed. I'll have that barrel glowing next weekend!

DSC_4713-vi.jpg

DSC_4716-vi.jpg

Archived