SASS Wire Forum

Buffalo rifle need some help

Red Cent

i need a favor, please. Would someone measure the approximate distance from the tip of the barrel to the balance point on a typical single shot like a Sharps. I am making some soft gun cases and I want this to position the handle. Thanks.

Then assume it is a Sharps Quigley down Under. Or a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps. Most have a 28" or 30" barrel.

"Then assume it is a Sharps Quigley down Under. Or a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps. Most have a 28" or 30" barrel."

-------------------

Quigley Sharps has a 34" barrel.

Sharps Sporting rifle has 32" barrel.

If you plan to make cases for others, you will need a list of various models to take in barrel weight. Round, tapered octagon and straight octagon. (Bull barrel)

If you look at other cases you will find that the handle strap is long to allow you to shift your hand in the loop to counter the balance differences in barrels and stocks.

If you are planning to make cases for others, I would be interested in seeing what you offer.

CH

You guys are making this difficult. Assume a 30" barrel.

:)

Tell ya what I'll do.

Tomorrow I will get in the safe and measure my Pedersoli 32" tapered barrel Sporting rifle and include the balance point.

I'll post the numbers here for you to start your note with.

I have a Pedersoli Heavy Match Target Sharps with a 34 inch barrel. It balances right at the forearm screw. That is 26½ inches from the barrel end and 24½ inches from the center of the butt plate . Hope this helps.

Red, mine has a 26" barrel. I'll check the balance point when I get home.

Archived