SASS Wire Forum

Target size

Charlie Whiskers

Hi all,our club is needing to replace 27 of our old T1 steel targets.We're using AR400 for all of the new targets we have been replacing old ones with and will for the new ones we'll be doing now.I want to do 18x18 and some will or may be cut into shapes,not decided yet.Some of the members, club and board, want to do SASS Minimum 16x16,which if cut into shapes will make them even smaller.We can only get 6 more targets out of the steel we need if we do the 16x16.Seems like all the other clubs I've shot at out of state are going to bigger targets than SASS minimums.SO,what size does your club use?Forgot to say that we'll get 30 18x18 targets out of the steel we're buying.So we'll have extras after replacing those 27.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never measured them, but BIGGER IS BETTER!

Bigger also gives you more options for stage design. You can set them farther back to make them more challenging. But with smaller targets, you can only bring them so close before they pose a safety issue.

Never measured them, but BIGGER IS BETTER!

Bigger also gives you more options for stage design. You can set them farther back to make them more challenging. But with smaller targets, you can only bring them so close before they pose a safety issue.

I agree, 16x16 is fine, but it depends on how they are set up. If you start making cut outs then the shooting area can run about 12". Cut outs with 18"x24" are nice for cowboys, coffin lids, grave stones etc...etc, 24"x18" for buffalos. I still like 16"x16" squares too. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

ya gotta listen to your membership.

But remember, if you go with small targets, you probably won't have to listen to alot of members.....cause you won't have many.

seems most of the clubs around these parts of East and Middle TN are using more of the 18 x 18 size and some put in some 18 x 24 Tombstones, etc.

BUT, the Texas star is also popular.....maybe because its reactionary.

Anyhow, good luck. You can always go with 18 x 18 and when disappointed, you can move em further back or have them recut. But, ifn ya go with the 16 x 16, ya can't make em bigger.

..........Widder

Target areas in square inches

18 x 18 = 324

16 x 16 = 256

18 diameter circle = 254

16 diameter circle = 201

If your thought is to start with breaking the sheet down into all one size and then make shapes, best to start with 18 x 18. With some careful layout and more cutting you can fit a variety of sizes and shapes from the sheet.

ya gotta listen to your membership.

But remember, if you go with small targets, you probably won't have to listen to alot of members.....cause you won't have many.

seems most of the clubs around these parts of East and Middle TN are using more of the 18 x 18 size and some put in some 18 x 24 Tombstones, etc.

BUT, the Texas star is also popular.....maybe because its reactionary.

Anyhow, good luck. You can always go with 18 x 18 and when disappointed, you can move em further back or have them recut. But, ifn ya go with the 16 x 16, ya can't make em bigger.

..........Widder

Yup listen to all the members, not just the vocal ones. At least one club I know listened to just a vocal few and changed to smaller targets and the majority never shoot there anymore.

You are in the entertainment business.

As to target shape, a little variety is good, but only a few shaped targets are needed. The majority should be regular rectangles or squarres.

Some folks get carried away - they take a nice piece of steel, then cut it up so folks will miss more.

A circle can be fun, but has a lot less surface areas. And a diamond is really a circle with a few points, so it usually missed more often than a circle.

In Florida, there are some targets that are 60" x 60" and folks miss them from a 5 - 10 yard distance. There is no target that can't be missed.

That being said, I think Widder said it best......you can always move them back, but you can't make them bigger once they've been cut.

CS

Variety is the spice as they say. Some 16 x 16 would be fine, but if given a choice I would also make at least one larger and some smaller.

yup

variety of size

variety of shape

variety of distance

variety of height

in other words

variety can be less boring :lol:

Our targets at the Colorado Cowboys are 16" diameter circles, set at 5 to 7 yards for pistols. As Grizz says, 201 sq inches. If we paid out the dough for 16" x 16" square targets, we would put them at the SASS recommended distances of 7 to 10 yards.

No target is so big or so close that it can't be missed, as I've proven over and over and over, ad nauseum.

Buena suerte,

eGG

For the standard rifle target, we use 16" x 16". For the standard pistol target we use 16" x 24". We also have lots of other targets that get sprinkled in the mix. People seem to like the big and close with an occassional challange thrown in....but very occassioally.

Let me add a little twist to your target situation.

And this opinion of mine is based solely on my observations of just a few state and a couple regional matches. NO scientific data has been done by me.

Anyhow, here is what I think.

If your club wants their shooters to be able to compete for State and above category champs, you might want to consider the 18 x 18 targets set close (nothjng beyond 7 yds).

If your shooters don't learn to shoot REAL FAST and hit most, if not all, of the targets at warp speeds, they won't suddenly find it at a state match.

Smaller targets, set at 7 yrds or so, instill a certain speed limitation. The shooter gets use to a more deliberate mode of firing.

But, give good shooters some target sizes and arrangements over the course of a couple years to 'run and gun', and you'll find some of your club members competing for those State Category titles.

Thats just my personal observation. Take it for what it worth.

..........Widder

Let me add a little twist to your target situation.

And this opinion of mine is based solely on my observations of just a few state and a couple regional matches. NO scientific data has been done by me.

Anyhow, here is what I think.

If your club wants their shooters to be able to compete for State and above category champs, you might want to consider the 18 x 18 targets set close (nothjng beyond 7 yds).

If your shooters don't learn to shoot REAL FAST and hit most, if not all, of the targets at warp speeds, they won't suddenly find it at a state match.

Smaller targets, set at 7 yrds or so, instill a certain speed limitation. The shooter gets use to a more deliberate mode of firing.

But, give good shooters some target sizes and arrangements over the course of a couple years to 'run and gun', and you'll find some of your club members competing for those State Category titles.

Thats just my personal observation. Take it for what it worth.

+1 :rolleyes:/>

..........Widder

What I suggested to the club Pres and the RM is doing 10 out of the 30 in shapes since some people have voiced they like the shapes.Was thinking about 4 of the SASS cowboys,3 of the State of Montana and 3 of the Covered Wagon.All out of the base 18x18.Then leaving the rest(20)square with the option of turning it to a diamond if that's what the RM wants for a stage on a given shoot.We already have 16 shaped AR400 targets now and 20 square and circles all 20inch.So we do have a variety.Personally I want to get away from the 16x16 base size of any shape.Our club hosts the Montana State shoot each year and I'm trying to make our targets more appealing to a broader number of shooters.I know some won't even come to a shoot if the club uses smaller targets.We have the luxury of owning our own range,so distance of the targets aren't a problem save for one stage that's very shallow.The rest for the most part can be set back for monthly shoots to appease the local "I want a challenge" shooters.

What I suggested to the club Pres and the RM is doing 10 out of the 30 in shapes since some people have voiced they like the shapes.Was thinking about 4 of the SASS cowboys,3 of the State of Montana and 3 of the Covered Wagon.All out of the base 18x18.Then leaving the rest(20)square with the option of turning it to a diamond if that's what the RM wants for a stage on a given shoot.We already have 16 shaped AR400 targets now and 20 square and circles all 20inch.So we do have a variety.Personally I want to get away from the 16x16 base size of any shape.Our club hosts the Montana State shoot each year and I'm trying to make our targets more appealing to a broader number of shooters.I know some won't even come to a shoot if the club uses smaller targets.We have the luxury of owning our own range,so distance of the targets aren't a problem save for one stage that's very shallow.The rest for the most part can be set back for monthly shoots to appease the local "I want a challenge" shooters.

Well we all know that those "I want a challenge" folks go reeeeeeal fast and don't miss...ever...

:wacko:

For those who want a challenge, rent the chickens from T-Bone down at the BAR3 ranch!! :lol::lol::lol:

For those who want a challenge, rent the chickens from T-Bone down at the BAR3 ranch!! :lol:/> :lol:/> :lol:/>

Well,we do have a Texas Star and 2 plate racks.One is on the shallow stage.Has 4 or 5inch plates and the other has ...I think...10 inch plates.That one is on one of our deeper stages.

Are targets are BIG. Things to consider is steel comes in sheets and if you don't want to waste it squares are best. On that same note we ended up with a lot of 16X20 and 16X24 inch squares when we started because it used the most of the sheet mathematically. Since all squares are boring we added some circles but we went with 20 inch circles to keep them on the larger side.

Remember a big target can be made small by simply moving it back........a small target can't be made larger so IMO the larger targets are more versatile. We do have 8 inch & 12 inch targets too......but those are used infrequently......lol

Why cut it at all?

Seems the majority would be happier shooting at one big barn door just beyond contact distance, as long as their speeds looked impressive.

<_<

Why cut it at all?

Seems the majority would be happier shooting at one big barn door just beyond contact distance, as long as their speeds looked impressive.

<_</>/>/>/>

i have to agree with you some what

after all, arent some entitled to fast stages

it must be a something in the water these days :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why cut it at all?

<_</>

Because we need to replace 27 targets.And doing 27 4 1/2x8ft sheets of AR steel would get rather spendy.But maybe even I could hit those 80 or 90% of the time.

Why cut it at all?

<_</>

Now you agree with the majority of shooters, bigger really is better. :rolleyes:

Have shot pistol targets as far as 30 yards.

But then they was 8 foot tall saw blades. :)/>/>/>/>

Was just as easy to hit as the regular pistol targets.

Size Matters.

If you are going to cut them into shapes. Go BIG. :rolleyes:/>/>/>/>

Then if you have to buy one more sheet of steel to make

them. So what if you got happy customers. Then that is what ya got to do. Make them

16x16 and THEN cut the shape. Makes for not so happy customers. :angry:/>/>/>/>

I would make them 24x24. Then cut your shape if you want to.

Yes you will use more steel.

Yes it will cost a little more.

Yes you will have happier shooters.

Yes happier shooters normally means more shooters.

Yes more shooters means more money for the club.

Yes it is a matter of getting a return on your investment.

Yes if you invest a little more. You normally get a bigger return.

Remember. You can always move a bigger target out.

But harder to add the steel back once you cut it.

If you cut them big and someone wants a "challenge," they can be moved out to make them appear smaller, but if they're cut small, there are no choices.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but for the most part I've found that those who "want a challenge" are already doing a fine job of missing. They simply want everyone to miss right along with them. I'm in the camp of: If you want a challenge, shoot faster without missing. Personally, no matter how big they are, it's still a challenge to go fast without missing. To me, the game is barrel racing with guns. Anybody can ride a horse around three barrels without knocking one over. It's when you try to do so faster than everyone else that it becomes a challenge.

I once shot a stage with all the rifle targets being four foot squares painted like dice that were shot in numerical order. The catch was that they were across a ravine. I don't know exactly the distance, but they appeared to be about equally difficult (or easy) to hit as 16 inch squares at normal distances. The "challenge" was the fact that due to the distance, the time between the report of the round and the ringing of the steel was different than what I was accustomed to. It messed with my head, but I did enjoy it.

Yea, they do hate it when I bring out the rats. laugh.gif

RATS!!!!!!! If'n we see them thangs agin' at Cherokee we're agonna hafta git a rope!!

Kajun

I got to shoot with the Tejas Pistoleros out a little west of Houston late last year and they had a stage where one rifle target was at about 35 yards and they had 3 more hanging at about 50 yards. 35 yd = P1, 3 50 yd targets were P2, P3 and P4. Rifle was shot P1, P2,P1, P3, P1, P4, P1. Lots of time between the bang and clang for each shot. And given the light loads I was shooting you had to hold a little high just to hit them. Now that was definitely different than what we shoot in GA. It was also a lot of fun too.

I shoot at one Club that uses Oil-Field pipes (6, 8, 10 & 12 )cut in lenghts of between 12-18 inches ,,,,,,

These are then shot at distances of between 10 - 50 yards ,,,,, Hitting a round 6 inch by 18 inches long piece of pipe at 30 yards fast can be a bit of a challenge ....

But then We have a more challenging target a piece of 1 inch by 18 inches Re-Bar on a hinge that must be knocked down to save yer pards life ...

But Other clubs have bigger targets ,,,, though most are smaller and farther out than what you all are talking about ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived