SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 73 trapper holds 10 .38 or .357

Go West

Uberti uses a one-size fits all magazine tube. The Marlin uses a different tube for its big bores and the .357. Even if the parts were available they wouldn't fit in a Marlin .357.

+1 I called them about buying those parts, and they will not sell them. I am guessing a proprietary item? <_</>/>

One time years ago I saw one of the hollowed-out magazine plugs in the parts bin at Cimarron, but not since, and I have never seen one of the special mag springs in the parts area. I don't think they have ever gotten them from Uberti, and if they did then they probably needed them as spares since Uberti sometimes puts the wrong parts in the Trappers and they then will not hold ten.

Any machinist could hollow out a mag tube plug, but I'd think some enterprising outfit might want to produce a similar mag spring (in stainless of course).

Yes. With all of the ingenious gunsmiths and tinkerers involved in our sport, I figured we would have had someone come up with his "kit" for Ubertis, Marlins and/or Rossi's by now.

The Cimarron Trapper is a 16" barrel?

Yes. 16" Carbine. Later Taylors came out with an 18" octagon rifle and called it a trapper, which causes some confusion. Cimarron calls their 18" octagon rifle a saddle rifle.

About 6 years ago Cimmaron sent me two of those special tapered trapper springs so they used to sell them. Taylor's sells a 16 1/8"1873 wgich is billed as ladies and youth gun and I know it holds ten using a proprietary spring from another smith in the business.

Archived