SASS Wire Forum

.38-.55 Ammo

Broncho Billy Aronson

I had one for a while. I bought two boxes of Winchester ammo, and two boxes from AmmoDirect. Also bought dies to reload the brass from the above. That is the way to go. Have to look around to find load data (although it may be more readily available than it was 8 or so years ago).

MAKE SURE YOU SLUG THE BORE!!!! Groove diameter can vary greatly, save yourself some headaches.

Well, If I get into the reload game that is what I will do. I like the IDEA of using it during a match, and knowing it cant be slicked up and I wont be as fast with it as my other rifles but I guess the biggest issue is that its overkill for this game, right?

Well, If I get into the reload game that is what I will do. I like the IDEA of using it during a match, and knowing it cant be slicked up and I wont be as fast with it as my other rifles but I guess the biggest issue is that its overkill for this game, right?

Billy, you can only use a 38-55 in a Long Range side match, not a main match. A main match rifle must be a pistol caliber.

.38-55 is considered a rifle caliber, therefore it is not legal for a main match rifle. Here is the information in the 2012 SASS Shooters' Handbook, ver. 18.2

RIFLE CALIBERS

• Must be centerfire of at least .32 caliber and not larger than .45 caliber.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and .56-50. No rifle calibers such as .30-30 or .38-55 are allowed.

TB

Billy,

The only rifles that are legal in SASS matches are those that shoot PISTOL caliber ammunition, and must be at least 32 caliber, and not more than 45 caliber. The 38-55 is NOT a pistol caliber gun. Therefore, not legal for regular SASS matches. Just that simple. Usually, using a rifle that can shoot the same ammo that you shoot in your pistols is best way to go. That way you only need one type of ammo for both.

RBK

The 38-55 is a lighter recoil alternative to the 45-70.

As S.J. bore diameters vary from manufacturer to manufacturer so determining the correct size is essential for accuracy.

Unlike C.W. I have found the straight wall case easy to resize and reload.

Reloading is a must for this cartridge.

Although I sold my Marlin due to financial reasons with my bum shoulder I am glad I have kept my 38-55 dies, brass and bullets.

Billy,

The only rifles that are legal in SASS matches are those that shoot PISTOL caliber ammunition, and must be at least 32 caliber, and not more than 45 caliber. The 38-55 is NOT a pistol caliber gun. Therefore, not legal for regular SASS matches. Just that simple. Usually, using a rifle that can shoot the same ammo that you shoot in your pistols is best way to go. That way you only need one type of ammo for both.

RBK

Wrong on this 25-20 is a legal caliber in rifles .....

I have 2 Winchester 94s in .38-55 one made in 1896 and the other in 1980 ...... Have used both for side-matches ....

Jabez Cowboy

It really vairies by local Range lay-outs and by the the likes of the local club ,,,,,, But....

They are usully held before the Main Match Here In Canada ,,,, And Longrange Lever gun is offten shot like this 3 rounds at 160, 3 at 240 and 3 at 300 ... The winner is the fellow with the most hits ,,,or in event of a tie it is the shortest time ..

Or it is shot on small targets at closer distances usully at about 100 yards /meters ...

Sometimes it is shot to much longer distances ,,, like 480, 560,700 & 900 yards with 3 at each distance ....

Check-out Your Local Club ,,,, And join the fun ....

Or just bring your gun and cast bullet loads and Jump-in with both feet and shoot it as run ....

Be prepared to have FUN though !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Archived