SASS Wire Forum

Eleanor Powell

Subdeacon Joe

Anyone notice, at about the 1:00 mark, a single frame showing Humphery Bogart? I don't think this was "rare nightclub" footage, but rather a nightclub scene from a Bogart movie, with a few cuts to make it all Powell footage.

But could she tap!!!

LL

She was a winner.

There were many stars of the 40s-60s that had mulitple, exceptional talents.

I must be getting to be a curmudgeon, because I sure don't see them today. ....... :ph34r:

Not sure if it is the specialization today, the lack of broader vehicles, or what... :(

She was a winner.

There were many stars of the 40s-60s that had mulitple, exceptional talents.

I must be getting to be a curmudgeon, because I sure don't see them today. ....... :ph34r:/>

Not sure if it is the specialization today, the lack of broader vehicles, or what... :(/>

I think there are several things that contribute. Many of the stars in that era came off the variety stage and could sing, dance, act, do some stand up, etc. Then there was the "studio system" in which the studios controlled the actors, groomed them, made or broke them. But mostly, I think it is just the changes in society. Look at the difference in the types of films. When was the last really good musical released? Or even decent one? Or action movie that relied on acting, not gollywog special effects?

I think there are several things that contribute. Many of the stars in that era came off the variety stage and could sing, dance, act, do some stand up, etc. Then there was the "studio system" in which the studios controlled the actors, groomed them, made or broke them. But mostly, I think it is just the changes in society. Look at the difference in the types of films. When was the last really good musical released? Or even decent one? Or action movie that relied on acting, not gollywog special effects?

I agree those (and other artifacts) are all contributors, but I think there may be a deeper cultural component, as well.

There was also a big shift in public taste a long time ago from the "song-and-dance" movies of the '30s and '40s. The great musicals of the '50s and '60s probably filled what once had been their niche.

When you look into it, you find that there were loads of those big song and dance films, with lots of big production numbers, all from big studios and with big stars, that are completely forgotten now, even though many comedy and drama classics from that era have lasted, to some degree.

As for tap dance itself, while it survives, it still is interesting to contemplate how big a deal it was for as long as it was.

But it sure is great to see Eleanor Powell come alive again in these clips!

I agree those (and other artifacts) are all contributors, but I think there may be a deeper cultural component, as well.

People (kids younger than us that is) get their performance entertainment from music videos or concerts nowadays.

Although Les Miz is coming out in a few weeks I believe.

Ienjoyed Moulin Rouge. Weird but entertaining.

Like me. :lol:/>

Robert Young (a.k.a Dr. Marcus Welbey) is the guy at the table in the Hula film. It seems that he approved of Ms. Powell.

The greatest generation truly was:

James Stewart: actor, wwII bomber pilot, General in Air Force, poet

Hede Lamarr: stunningly beautiful actress, invented spread-frequency transmitting used to code signals sent by US forces in WWII and radio-guided torpedoes, and used in computers today

Archived