SASS Wire Forum

1851 Snubbie in 36 caliber

Come On Christmas

I really like this one from Dixie, but want the authenticity of the .36 - http://www.dixiegunworks.com/new-flyer.pdf

Shameless

Shameless, are you trying to start some crap here or what??? :rolleyes:/> :lol:/>

EDIT:

These cut-down guns with bird's head grip aren't very "authentic," BUT if you want a similar gun in the original .36 caliber, rather than Dixie's .44 caliber offering, you might post a "WTB" (want to buy) ad over in the Wire Classifieds forum. Someone may have one to sell at a good price. Can't hurt to try. I'd be careful of a used brass-frame gun, though, since those frames will stretch and the gun will get sloppy if it's been repeatedly fired with heavy bp loads, or (worse yet) duplex loads of bp/smokless.

Shameless:

Those are very nice, even tho Colt never made one.

Saw one given as a prize at 2012 Winter range.

No 36 is being sold in the USA -- hasn't been for years.

Dixie has none in stock.

I tried to buy 2 of them yesterday.

--DAwg

Just received their catalog the other day, had a couple of sales flyers inside as well, and this was the first thing I saw when I pulled the flyers out. C-uute! :wub: A pair o' them'd make some nice hide-outs, (if I was in funds :mellow:).

Orrin Porter Rockwell allegedly made one, or had one made, from an 1860 Colt Army bobbed back to around two and a quarter inches. Because he was allegedly a member of the alleged "Avenging Angels"...aka"Danites"... of early Mormon legend, the gun became known as an "Avenging Angel". Could have been called a "Danny Boy" but wouldn't have sounded as fierce.

It has been alleged that a few more might have been made by or for some of his alleged companions and alleged friends, but there haven't been many actual verified examples turn up and I don't know of any on anything but the 1860 .44 Army revolver. I also know of only one example, allegedly owned by Bill Hickman, an alleged friend and compatriot of Rockwell (and a shirt-tale ancestor of mine...allegedly) that had a front sight added to the shortened barrel.

There was also one alleged to have been made earlier from a Colt's Dragoon revolver.

One of my multi-great grandfathers of the time had an English six shot pepperbox of .33 caliber with a spare barrel cluster. A Knurled center pin / screw held it together and It was carried in a double holster that consisted of two pouches for the barrel clusters and a flap to close it all up so nothing would fall out. It had an attached leather belt with double D rings to adjust the length.

Ok maybe not with the bird head grip. I am still in dream mode, not even save up mode yet. And no I am not making trouble. Sheesh we all got enough o that.

Feast yer eyes on this display of actual 19th century snubbies.

19th century snubbies

--Dawg

Ok maybe not with the bird head grip. I am still in dream mode, not even save up mode yet. And no I am not making trouble. Sheesh we all got enough o that.

Just teasing you :) You said "authentic" and I thought you were pulling our collective leg, because the dixie gun is not authentic in a number of ways. Then I re-read your topic post and I see that you meant the authentic .36 caliber. :blush: I really like the 1851's too.

I'll iterate the warning though, regarding a used gun with a brass frame being susceptible to being stretched out due to repeated firing under heavy black powder or duplex loads. That kind of damage can't be fixed; the gun is ruined and it's usually difficult to know with just pictures.

Cheers,

Cat

Feast yer eyes on this display of actual 19th century snubbies.

19th century snubbies

--Dawg

NICE!!!

Just teasing you :)/> You said "authentic" and I thought you were pulling our collective leg, because the dixie gun is not authentic in a number of ways. Then I re-read your topic post and I see that you meant the authentic .36 caliber. :blush:/> I really like the 1851's too.

I'll iterate the warning though, regarding a used gun with a brass frame being susceptible to being stretched out due to repeated firing under heavy black powder or duplex loads. That kind of damage can't be fixed; the gun is ruined and it's usually difficult to know with just pictures.

Cheers,

Cat

My early Sass sensae warned me to stay away from brass frames when I first started. He used to reload for me cause I did not know how. Know I reload for him cause he don't have his reload man cave set up at his new abode.

Shameless

cool. Just unnerstan yer gonna trade velocity fer fire out the muzzle when ya chop a coal burner that short. I would want me a nice coin sight though.....

Might be impressive for a "night shoot" tho'!

AJ, an old Spanish half real is getting a bit pricey now days!

I used half a "Dos Pesos" Mex. coin circa 1945 for my 1861 pocket Navy's front sight. I had bought the coin at auction for scrap value when gold was like $800 or less. I guess by today's prices I got about $70 worth of front sight, not counting labor or the brass dovetail base....

I used a US Dime for a front sight on my pocket pistols (not a new one) cut it in half with a set of snips peen the edge a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Two front sights fer a Dime an a little Time .... used a 1954 one.....

Jabez Cowboy

AJ, an old Spanish half real is getting a bit pricey now days!

Dixie Gun Works sells a repro.

Archived