SASS Wire Forum

carbine & rifle

Go West

Simplest way to determine if carbine or rifle is: generally speaking barrel bands = carbine, forearm cap = rifle.

Carbines generally 20" or less with a round barrel. Trapper models are typically 16". May or may not have saddle ring or ladder sight.

Rifles are generally 18" or longer. Short rifles are 20" or less.

Simplest way to determine if carbine or rifle is: generally speaking barrel bands = carbine, forearm cap = rifle.

Carbines generally 20" or less with a round barrel. Trapper models are typically 16". May or may not have saddle ring or ladder sight.

Also, rifle will usually have a crescent buttplate, carbine a more-gently-curved, "S"-shped buttplate.

It can be confusing to know that a long gun is a "rifle" or a "carbine." When you are comparing examples of a specific type of gun ... say, a Model 1873 Winchester ... it is usually easy to tell the difference. However, with all the variations turned out by Uberti after the fact and those created by aftermarket gunsmiths, you can find examples that fit into both categories. As stated, buttstocks, barrel bands&caps and saddle rings are indicators for the '73, but they are not sure indicators with the Uberti guns vs. the original Winchester guns.

In my view, generally (but not always) a "carbine" is a short version of a rifle from the same gene pool, with most parts interchangeable and firing the same round. For example, I have a Chinese SKS "paratrooper" (yeah, sure) carbine; a short version of the SKS rifle, probably made for export to the US market. It's obviously a carbine as compared to the rifle. Basically, most of the parts are interchangeable and it fires the 7.62x39mm Russian military cartridge.

BUT, despite the example above, a "carbine" can be a specific gun unto itself, as well. Take a look at the US M1 Carbine. This gun is not a cut-down version of the M1 Rifle (the Garand). The M1 Carbine looks like a baby Garand, but the similarity ends there. There is no interchangeability of parts and they fire different cartridges. It's called a carbine because it is short, light in weight and fires a small, lightweight .30 caliber round.

There are plenty of other benchmarks to use when making the call, "rifle" vs. "carbine," and again, may take a close look to make the call sometimes.

Here's the strangest looking carbine I have ever seen. Take a look at the barrel length. Has the carbine stock, barrel bands etc. and a LONG skinny barrel.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1050578.jpg

Here's the strangest looking carbine I have ever seen. Take a look at the barrel length. Has the carbine stock, barrel bands etc. and a LONG skinny barrel.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1050578.jpg

that's weird. Where'd you find that? Maybe the Lightning itself was considered a carbine and all the factory variations, regardless of wood and barrels were still considered carbines? But, again it's a Uberti and they they do a lot of variations.

that's weird. Where'd you find that? Maybe the Lightning itself was considered a carbine and all the factory variations, regardless of wood and barrels were still considered carbines? But, again it's a Uberti and they they do a lot of variations.

Nope, I have lots of Lightnings, original and reproductiion, rifles and traditional looking carbines. This is a creation of Uberti. I found it at EOT two years ago. So weird I had to have it.

It can be confusing to know that a long gun is a "rifle" or a "carbine." When you are comparing examples of a specific type of gun ... say, a Model 1873 Winchester ... it is usually easy to tell the difference. However, with all the variations turned out by Uberti after the fact and those created by aftermarket gunsmiths, you can find examples that fit into both categories. As stated, buttstocks, barrel bands&caps and saddle rings are indicators for the '73, but they are not sure indicators with the Uberti guns vs. the original Winchester guns.

In my view, generally (but not always) a "carbine" is a short version of a rifle from the same gene pool, with most parts interchangeable and firing the same round. For example, I have a Chinese SKS "paratrooper" (yeah, sure) carbine; a short version of the SKS rifle, probably made for export to the US market. It's obviously a carbine as compared to the rifle. Basically, most of the parts are interchangeable and it fires the 7.62x39mm Russian military cartridge.

BUT, despite the example above, a "carbine" can be a specific gun unto itself, as well. Take a look at the US M1 Carbine. This gun is not a cut-down version of the M1 Rifle (the Garand). The M1 Carbine looks like a baby Garand, but the similarity ends there. There is no interchangeability of parts and they fire different cartridges. It's called a carbine because it is short, light in weight and fires a small, lightweight .30 caliber round.

There are plenty of other benchmarks to use when making the call, "rifle" vs. "carbine," and again, may take a close look to make the call sometimes.

The SKS is a carbine, Thats what the K stands for!

Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova

Nope, I have lots of Lightnings, original and reproductiion, rifles and traditional looking carbines. This is a creation of Uberti. I found it at EOT two years ago. So weird I had to have it.

Larson, have you ever seen a Lightning Musket? I have a friend that has an original Lightning Musket, if I remember correctly it even has a bayonet attchment.

If the manufacturer calls it a carbine...it's a carbine. :lol:

Also, rifle will usually have a crescent buttplate, carbine a more-gently-curved, "S"-shped buttplate.

An then, things can happen such as I have mounted the crecent shaped butt plate stock on my 1866 carbine.

Since almost ALL carbines are a type of rifle (the exceptions being those that are muskets), it would not be improper to refer to a carbine as a rifle. It might be a tad confusing to do so if one were to refer to a M-1 Carbine as a rifle, or a M-1 Tanker as a carbine.. But, would it be "incorrect"?

I can accurately state that I have 24 Winchester mdl 94 rifles; of those, 15 are carbines, and 3 of the carbines are Trappers! And Go West, the earliest Winchester Trappers had barrels of LESS than 16". IIRC it was the NFA of 1934 that mandated rifles & shotguns bbls had to be 18" or >.

The law also required the registration of all NFA firearms with the Secretary of the Treasury. Firearms subject to the 1934 Act included shotguns and rifles having barrels less than 18 inches in length, certain firearms described as “any other weapons,” machineguns, and firearm mufflers and silencers.
From the ATF's website. Worth reading and familarizing yourself with.

Of course there's always one example that contradicts all standards. The Winchester Model 1876 Carbine (Centennial Model) breaks all the rules. It has a barrel band and a forearm cap, The round barrel is 22 inches long.

Centennial Carbine

The SKS is a carbine, Thats what the K stands for!

Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova

Sooo, are you suggesting my gun is a Karabin carbine. Whut Th' Hey!? I just won't tell those paratroopers; they got enough to worry about! :wacko::)

Archived