SASS Wire Forum

Rifle project..

Not from the rifle itself, but from a 6" vice I just bought new from Lowes yesterday..It has some sort of grease all over it that looks and smells like cosmoline or something..Since it came of course from China I would say that's a safe assumption..What would be the best stuff to clean this crap off with? The stock for my project is a beautiful piece of unfinished figured maple I don't want to ruin by getting that junk all over it.. :unsure:

Use rubber or latex gloves. Wipe the bulk of it off with paper towels. The remnants come off pretty easy with WD-40 on a paper towel.

Then maybe wipe it down with alcohol to remove any WD-40 residue. Sure wouldn't want to get any grease or oil on the unfinished wood. You might line the jaws with a soft wood, like poplar for this project to prevent marring.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Wipe it down to remove most of the grease....then, put it in the dishwasher on the "pots and pans" cycle. Take it out at the end of the rinse cycle, and wipe it down...most of the water will "flash dry". Easiest way to clean cosmoline off of metal...and there will be no residue left in the dishwasher if you let the dishwasher continue to run thru its cycle.

Good suggestions here!

Uh... as an aside, though... one thing I would NOT suggest using a dishwasher for is "thorough cleaning of cap 'n' ball revolvers." :huh:

Don' ask me how I know this. :mellow:

Hey! We were young back then... still teenagers! :rolleyes:

Wipe it down to remove most of the grease....then, put it in the dishwasher on the "pots and pans" cycle. Take it out at the end of the rinse cycle, and wipe it down...most of the water will "flash dry". Easiest way to clean cosmoline off of metal...and there will be no residue left in the dishwasher if you let the dishwasher continue to run thru its cycle.

But, DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE KNOW YOU DID THIS!!!

AMEN BROTHER! Baked an SKS stock in the oven to bleed out the cosmoline (It worked wonderfully BTW) send my wife into an absolute fit. Apparently I left some in there. Makes baked goods not so goods! Live and learn.....

Keep yore gun stuff out of the kitchen!! Unless you want to be dining on Hoppes and cosmoline. I find it gives my quiche a somewhat gamey flavor. The glasses will have a lovely rainbow sheen when they cpome out of the diswasher. :lol:

Keep yore gun stuff out of the kitchen!! Unless you want to be dining on Hoppes and cosmoline. I find it gives my quiche a somewhat gamey flavor. The glasses will have a lovely rainbow sheen when they cpome out of the diswasher. :lol:/>

Does that mean I can't use my Glock Crock Pot?

Archived