SASS Wire Forum

Transfer bar, hammer block,.......

Red Cent

I am in a "discussion" about the aforementioned safeties. Please help me out with this description.

"The one on the right has the base pin safety.

"This safety is automatically engaged when the hammer is placed in the first notch. The trigger sear engages a lever which pivots this block down, impinging between the frame and the hammer, similar to that used on older Colts as the Colt Positive safety. It is automatic and automatically disengaged."

The described is a single action revolver of Uberti manufacture.

I am in a "discussion" about the aforementioned safeties. Please help me out with this description.

"The one on the right has the base pin safety.

"This safety is automatically engaged when the hammer is placed in the first notch. The trigger sear engages a lever which pivots this block down, impinging between the frame and the hammer, similar to that used on older Colts as the Colt Positive safety. It is automatic and automatically disengaged."

The described is a single action revolver of Uberti manufacture.

I'm not sure what you are asking. But, the text sort of describes the two different hammer block safety arrangements for the Uberti SAA's. Neither are transfer bars. The first one, "The one on the right has the base pin safety.” Is the two position hammer block currently used by Uberti and Pietta.

The second one describes the old “D” cam guns from Uberti. Because of this add-on mod and the machining of the parts to get those parts in there these guns are prone to go out of time prematurely.

Hey Nate. OK, explain the "D cam" guns mechanics. Is that the little wedge under the firing pin?

None of the safeties on a Uberti are transfer bars. Some models have a base pin safety. The pin can be pushed through the frame to the second notch and the hammer hits the pin. This keeps the firing pin well clear of the breechface. Normally this safety is used to entertain the posse by putting it on just prior to shooting a stage.

The hammer block is a little spring loaded dingus that has an activator pin INSIDE the half cock notch. When the sear goes into this notch, the pin gets pushed up by it and in turn, that raises a little block on the frony of the hammer. In theory, this also prevents forward movement of the hammer.

You have no photos so we don't know what is "on the right" and you aren't clear about what you are asking. What are you looking for? As far as the "D" cam that has nothing to do with the firing pin. The cam is down at the bottom of the hammer and activates the bolt.

I am aware of S&W hammer blocks, double notch base pin hammer block (Swiss Safety), transfer bars and the like. Never heard of a "safety" described as the above. Thanks for the attention.

If you are talking about the Uberti hammer safety (have you seen a gun with one?) it is mounted in the hammer below the firing pin. There is a plunger mounted in the "safety" notch of the hammer. When you put the hammer in the safety notch the tip of the trigger pushes the plunger up and this moves the hammer safety up. Theoretically if you drop the gun on its hammer when it is in the safety notch, the hammer safety will keep the gun from firing. On a Colt and most single actions (including current Ubertis) if you drop the gun and the safety notch or trigger breaks the gun will fire.

You have no photos so we don't know what is "on the right" and you aren't clear about what you are asking. What are you looking for? As far as the "D" cam that has nothing to do with the firing pin. The cam is down at the bottom of the hammer and activates the bolt.

Well.yes and no.

It was a "D" shaped cam because that is how they had to machine them in order to get the hammer block parts into the hammer. The problem was with the sharp corner of the "D" and the sharp bolt fingers they tend to prematurely wear going out of time.

Archived